Tree hub issues since I have bought it constant problems

Related:
Create New Tag

5/17/2019 10:34 PM

Purchased a used lhd tree hub from Hardbmxtim here on the forum and the first issue was someone decided they didn’t need hub gaurds or pegs to grind and destroyed the outer cone washer, I had no idea from the pictures I received it was this bad, now that I have mounted it up to my build the axle sticks out on the no drive side and is what presses against the chainstay instead of a washer of some sort

|

5/17/2019 10:35 PM

Obviously something isn’t right can anyone help?

|

5/18/2019 7:15 AM

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/18/2019 7:28 AM

1. Wrong section, you might not get as good of answers here.

2. Sorry again the dent had gone unnoticed, luckily that was a real cheap (even potentially free) fix from what I recall. Again, I have never had any experience installing Tree hubguards, so I did not even think to check that little lip while ripping that wheel apart & taking photos for you.

3. When you replaced that cone, was there a washer/spacer of some sort underneath it?
The axle definitely should not be protruding from the hardware as you've pointed out. That's definitely a spacing issue, and one that was not present when it was installed on the bike I took it off of.

4. I highly recommend hitting up Tree Bicycle Co. on FB or IG for quick answers. Their social media dude stays on top of everything pretty well and can probably get you an exact answer quicker than anyone on this forum.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

5/18/2019 7:36 AM

From the few hub assembly photos I'm seeing on Google, it does not appear that there is any extra washers/spacers on the axle.

Is it possible that the center axle is off center in the hub? May need a tap or 2 from a mallet?

Also, does the wheel slide in the dropouts per usual, or do you have to stretch your chainstays to accommodate for that bit of axle?

|

5/18/2019 7:42 AM

Also feel free to text me any time. I will do everything that I can, through a screen anyways, to help.

The last 2 times you've texted me about it (months prior to this post) you've either stopped responding or agreed that it was a cheap fix with no fuss.

|

5/18/2019 8:31 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

From the few hub assembly photos I'm seeing on Google, it does not appear that there is any extra washers/spacers on the axle.

Is it possible that the center axle is off center in the hub? May need a tap or 2 from a mallet?

Also, does the wheel slide in the dropouts per usual, or do you have to stretch your chainstays to accommodate for that bit of axle?

I tried tapping it back in it won’t move i’ve About done everything, the cone is the same one I got the hub with

|

5/18/2019 8:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2019 8:32 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Also feel free to text me any time. I will do everything that I can, through a screen anyways, to help.

The last 2 times you've texted me about it (months prior to this post) you've either stopped responding or agreed that it was a cheap fix with no fuss.

Yeah it was a cheap fix until this happened now I can’t use it because my chain alignment is off by a lot now

|

5/18/2019 8:44 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Sphongeled wrote:

Yeah it was a cheap fix until this happened now I can’t use it because my chain alignment is off by a lot now

Sure. Unfortunately, I'm only human & I cannot read minds. If a new problem has come up in the past few months since you've purchased it, there is no way for me to know about that.

I can confirm it was not like that before I sold it to you, but I am still more than willing to help where I can. I am sure that it is a very simple fix.

|

5/18/2019 11:48 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Sphongeled wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Sure. Unfortunately, I'm only human & I cannot read minds. If a new problem has come up in the past few months since you've purchased it, there is no way for me to know about that.

I can confirm it was not like that before I sold it to you, but I am still more than willing to help where I can. I am sure that it is a very simple fix.

Hammering it in only causes the cog to move out the other side so why is the hub not working properly this is how I got it from you bro, I
haven’t touched it since I got it out of the packaging.

|

5/18/2019 2:40 PM

I do believe I have the answer you need, after talking with & showing your pictures to my good friend that operated Tree Bicycle Co for a number of years.

If you would like to text me or shoot me a message on Facebook instead of leaving a bad review on my business page, when I've literally done nothing more than try to help you and make up for my mistake, then maybe I can get you sorted.

It is quite unfair of you to say that I've only recommended things that you've already tried, when you are the one failing to communicate these things with me. I am only human & can only go off of the information you decide to give me. OR, you are more than welcome to send it to me to inspect first-hand, and I will ship it back to you free of charge.

And again, you purchased this hub MONTHS ago. And the only time you ever claimed to have an issue with it, you quickly stopped responding to me as I was trying to help you. Then you text me again months later re-inquiring about the same issue (that I had assumed you had solved? Hence the lack of communication, I thought) and we both had came to an agreement that it was a silly $5 fix, which I could have gladly paid for if need be.

I would love to get you sorted, but at this point it seems you would rather make an ass out of me then give me the chance to fix or help you fix your hub. Which, after finding out what I know now, sounds like an extremely silly & simple mistake from the previous owner.

|

5/18/2019 2:43 PM

|

5/18/2019 2:46 PM

Also for the record, the solution is something that I've already recommended you do, but YOU chose not to do. But again, if you'd like to chat like adults and actually get to the root of the problem, I would be more than happy to do so. Would be much more productive than writing bad posts about me.

|

5/21/2019 5:05 PM

Did you put the axle in backwards or something?

|

5/21/2019 6:40 PM

Laz wrote:

No. I received the hub from someone that rode for Tree at the time, turns out he had put a cone on it from a Tree front hub before selling it to me. & I resold it to Sphongeled without realizing that mix-up.

The correct cone is on the way to him, free of charge, and all should be good with it now.

Grant, could you please do me a solid & let us know how the new cone works out once it gets there? Thanks! Sorry again about the miscommunication.

|

5/21/2019 7:00 PM

Laz wrote:

This is what I thought for a second but no we figured it out and th right part is on the way. Just didn’t think the front cone would fit the back lmao

|

5/22/2019 8:02 PM

This is exactly why anyone who buys and sells second hand parts should actually check every single item they try to sell. I’d never buy anything off someone that buys a bike, strips it, then flips parts without checking everything is exactly as it should be

|

5/22/2019 8:33 PM

.pegless. wrote:

This is exactly why anyone who buys and sells second hand parts should actually check every single item they try to sell. I’d never buy anything off someone that buys a bike, strips it, then flips parts without checking everything is exactly as it should be

Thank you for your concern.

I actually do inspect & ride every bike that I purchase & then spend an ample amount of time looking over & cleaning the parts before listing them for sale.

Unfortunately I am only human. I would have never expected the cassette hub to have hardware from a front hub on it (or that they'd even be compatible,) so that was something I never even thought to check for, otherwise I absolutely would have (and will from now on!)

But, I understand where you are coming from, as that is the risk with buying any second-hand parts.
Luckily I am able to stand behind the products I sell 100% and make sure my customers are taken care of if any mishaps do come about. The same cannot be said about many of the other people selling used parts online, I can tell you that much from experience!

At the end of the day, it was an incredibly simple fix that I have already taken care of. Grant will have the correct hardware any day now for his otherwise perfectly-functional hub, as well as some other goodies I was able to fit in the package to hopefully make up for the delay in getting his bike rolling!

|

5/22/2019 8:54 PM

Same cone, different thickness. I very unfortunately failed to notice the 2-3mm difference in thickness while inspecting the hub. I am sincerely sorry, but glad that we were able to get to the bottom of it & get the correct part headed his way.

|

5/23/2019 11:47 AM

Alright, now sell me the Tree hub lol.

Also, Tim.. you totally got this from Bobbie Altiser didn't you?

|

5/23/2019 11:49 AM

Laz wrote:

No I did not. I don't think Bobbie even rides Tree parts or has ever rode for them lol

|

5/23/2019 12:01 PM

Laz wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

No I did not. I don't think Bobbie even rides Tree parts or has ever rode for them lol

Yeah, he worked and rode for them long ago.. I got a bunch of parts off him when he left.

|

5/23/2019 6:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/23/2019 6:48 PM

Got everything together just waiting on the cone!

|

5/23/2019 7:52 PM

That looks super clean!! Hyped for you man

|

5/26/2019 7:13 PM

I want those rims so damn bad!

|

5/26/2019 7:24 PM

How's the hub holding up?

|