2002 GT Pro Series 24 - largely stock, ”refurbished”
GT Chromoly Tig-Welded Frame, Fork and Bars
GT Stem
GT 180mm chrome Cranks
GT Alloy Pedals
GT Racing Pro Series 39t Chainwheel,
Shamino 17t cassette
GT Mohawk Hub
GT Rhythm System Aluminum 36-hole Rims, 14 g spokes and brass nipples.
Tioga PowerBlock tires - R:24x1.75”, F:24x2.10
Tektro Brake Lever
GT Aluminum Micro-Adjust Seat Post
Junk seat from an old mountain bike
GIANT assymetric grips
Ares plastic bar ends

Stripped the frame of all the old beat up decals, put on some 1.75 tires and rode it that way for four years as my cruiser and commuter. Recently refinished another bike and saw readybmxer’s fresh ass paint job and decided I needed it on something. This was my candidate.

Coat of grey primer, several coats of white primer, several coats of Rustoleum satin lilac and a satin top coat. Polished all the chrome with 0000 steel wool and oil. I left the pedals, bars and forks “patina’d”.

I love this bike. It’s the best ride of anything I’ve owned. it goes pretty much anywhere and has been sturdy as hell. It’s fun too, and efficient enough for long rides with the seat jacked up high. I’ve commuted on it on and off for years. And now it looks super fresh too. Big thanks to readybmxer for letting me steal his color scheme. I hope you all enjoy seeing this as much as I do :-)
|

2/8/2020 11:52 AM

Chrome cleaned up nicely:

Need to clean and mount the old GT head tube emblem:

|

2/8/2020 1:30 PM

DUDE THIS IS SICK! You have the 24" version of my bike haha, looks dope dude!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

2/8/2020 5:39 PM

readybmxer wrote:

DUDE THIS IS SICK! You have the 24" version of my bike haha, looks dope dude!

Hell yeah, looks like your bike's older brother..

Dig that color on both of em..

|

2/9/2020 6:36 PM

I just realized you even have chrome cranks haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

2/10/2020 4:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2020 4:56 AM

readybmxer wrote:

I just realized you even have chrome cranks haha.

Yeah man! It had to be done. So fresh now. It was too dull before, chrome cranks and all. I like it so much I’m probably going to strip it, toss in a new bottom bracket, threadless headset and have it powder coated that lilac.

|

2/10/2020 11:47 AM

Pretty cool.Don't see a lot of 02 GT's out in the wild.

|

MVGA

2/10/2020 12:54 PM

Hot diggity that's beautiful.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

2/11/2020 5:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2020 6:25 AM

bloghogs wrote:

Pretty cool.Don't see a lot of 02 GT's out in the wild.

Awesome, and thank you for the brochure! Where did you find that? I was pretty sure it was an 02 but the chainwheel and decals on that one look different. Maybe mine is earlier/later than 02? If anyone knows, let me know. I scored this for $75 five years ago so my recollection is spotty. Deal of a lifetime though!

Edit: Looking at BMXMuseum, it looks like it may be an 01. The bottom tube, drop outs and stem look different on this one too.

|

2/11/2020 6:22 AM

Here's the bike's stock image. BicycleBlueBook has it as an 01.

|

2/11/2020 12:26 PM

Comparing the two,it does look like a 01.The serial number will say for sure.
02 GT's are few and far between because most of them never made production after the bankruptcy.

Here is a 01 catalog.
https://issuu.com/pharv85/docs/gt-dyno_2001

|

MVGA

2/12/2020 9:57 AM

What temperature were you spraying in?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

2/13/2020 5:08 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

What temperature were you spraying in?

It was about 45-50 degrees. Not ideal but warmer than it’s been around here. It’s taking a while to cure, though I’ve been moving it inside at night to speed things up. The good thing is, one drip settled out in the cold.

|

2/13/2020 8:32 AM

I painted a frame a bit before winter and then I'd let it cure in the bathroom which is the warmest room in our house. The furnace is right underneath there so even with the flap closed it's hotter in there than anywhere else. LOL. But I waited to put it all back together for like a month of curing. Or at least a couple of weeks. I forget how long.

|

2/13/2020 11:00 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I painted a frame a bit before winter and then I'd let it cure in the bathroom which is the warmest room in our house. The furnace is right underneath there so even with the flap closed it's hotter in there than anywhere else. LOL. But I waited to put it all back together for like a month of curing. Or at least a couple of weeks. I forget how long.

I have no patience. I put it back together the next day and have ridden it lightly once, a week later. Waiting for it to fully cure - probably a month - before I subject it to a commute.

|

2/14/2020 8:02 AM

Well it looks really good. I can see why you wanted to get it back together right away!

|