Back after 15 years - Mongoose Legion l100

Related:
Create New Tag

6/7/2018 6:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/8/2018 8:07 AM

Hey everyone!

So, I'm 34yo; I have 3 kids, have been married for 15 years, and I haven't ridden BMX since before I got married. I rode my whole childhood and teen years. Back then I rode a 1997 GT Performer. In fact, my wife went out to our barn last week and pulled out that old rusty GT, which is how my new journey started.

Seeing that bike brought back a ton of memories, and I started thinking. I've been needing to get some exercise, but I hate gyms and running. Riding sounded perfect. So, I decided to order a basic BMX bike and start riding the streets around my house and also the local skateparks here in central Indiana.

Obviously, I'm gonna be a total newb at a skatepark, but I've been watching some 'skatepark etiquette' videos in order to reduce the amount of headache I cause to other riders. I'm really looking forward to just experiencing the feeling of riding ramps, even if tricks come slowly.

Here's my Mongoose:

Photo

Anyone else out there ever put a l100 through the ringer? If so, how did it hold up? I weight 200 lbs., so if I land flat (maybe there's another name for that) it'll be a hard landing. =)

I used to have some skills when I was young. But I've stuck to riding Harley's ever since my 20's, and I'm out of shape and skill. I can still bunny-hop and 180 flat, but that's about it. My first goal this weekend is to practice manuals. I have a skater co-worker who is going to go to the park with me next week. He's excited to get on his BMX as well and ride with me.

I'm super stoked!

Specs from company website:

Sizes: OS
Frame: 4130 chromoly; removable brake mounts; integrated headset & mid BB shell
Fork: 4130 chromoly; 1-1/8" threadless steerer; taper leg
Crank: 3-piece tubular cromo,175 mm,25T alloy chainring
Bottom Bracket: Mid sealed bearing; 8-spline axle
Shifters: N/A
Cog Set: 9T cassette driver
Chain: KMC® Z410
Front Derailleur: N/A
Rear Derailleur: N/A
Wheel Size: 20"
Rims: Alloy double-wall 36H
Front Hub: Alloy, 3/8" female axle with bolt; 36H
Pedals: Plastic body with 9/16" axle
Handlebar: Mongoose® chromoly 8.75"
Stem: Mongoose® top load50 mm Ext.
Headset: Threadless 1 1/8" integrated
Brake Levers: Alloy
Spokes: 14G black
Saddle: Mongoose® Pivotal
Seat Post: Steel, 25.4; pivotal

---

Current Bike Weight (measured by me by subtracting my scale weight): 28.2 lbs

---

- Thanks!

|

6/7/2018 6:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2018 6:42 PM

Good looking bike.... those chrome hubs are a nice touch. i was thinking about getting those color tires and the bsd soulja seat for my all black bike... your bike is inspiring me to go for it...Photo

|

6/7/2018 6:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2018 6:55 PM

Thanks! And that's a very nice looking seat.

At some point, I'll probably look to upgrade some parts. But atm I'm really not sure what I would need. I'm gonna feel it out for a little while and see what's out there.

|

6/7/2018 11:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2018 11:45 PM

First thing that went on my complete was the sprocket (thin 6000 series alu. - folded on impact from a missed grind). Then the cranks; the pedals were right next to each other after a hop... Then my chain popped (very painful)... Always good to have a lil' money aside to replace parts as needed...

|

6/8/2018 4:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/8/2018 4:49 AM

Great to see (hear) you getting back on the bike after all those years! I'm guessing I probably recommended the Mongoose in another post (along with others). Hope it works out well for you! I would assume (I hate doing that) that you have reviews Bulletpup's (search the forum for "Everything you wanted to know about the Mongoose L100" or just Mongoose L100"... you'll find it) YouTube video reviews of the Mongoose. He's been beating up two of them for a year or so (a 2017 & an '18). THey seem to be holding up. In his videos, he's said that he would change the pedals and stem. I believe he snapped his chain but that was due to landing on it on concrete doing a grind, so take that for what it's worth.

Anyway, I'm glad you are back. I just wish you were closer to Milwaukee. I could use a fellow rider like myself to ride with (I have been away for a while as well!) AND, I ride Harley's too! Anyway, hope to see more from you in the forum. Be safe!

|

6/8/2018 8:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/8/2018 8:37 AM

Welcome back! Very similar stories here.

Damn, never noticed the black model came with the polished hubs. I need those!

|

6/8/2018 9:45 AM

dead goon wrote:

Funny you (and someone else) said that about the hubs. I keyed in on those too & thought "those hubs look awesome on that bike!"

|

6/8/2018 10:59 AM

Looks great dude! Just that flat ass seat makes me trip a little but hey, to each their own hahalaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/8/2018 11:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/8/2018 11:17 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Looks great dude! Just that flat ass seat makes me trip a little but hey, to each their own hahalaughing

So, here's a good chance for me to learn something. I've seen all over where people ride with their seat slanted back. Is that to:

A. clear certain tricks better?
B. a comfort preference?
C. because it looks cooler?

I am definitely curious. I my seat flat because of 'B' above. 'A' isn't really applicable yet, since I can't do shit yet =P, and 'C' probably will not be applicable to me as I'm old anyway, so I'm not trying to prove anything at this point.

Thoughts?

|

6/8/2018 11:20 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Great to see (hear) you getting back on the bike after all those years! I'm guessing I probably recommended the Mongoose in ...more

I'm certainly hoping to bump into some older guys who are local to me to learn from.

Also, yes, I definitely watched Bulletpup's l100 videos and read his posts. They were super helpful!

My helmet just came in the mail, so I'm gtg this weekend to try to find some sweet places to ride.

|

6/8/2018 11:39 AM

dead goon wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Funny you (and someone else) said that about the hubs. I keyed in on those too & thought "those hubs look awesome on that ...more

They would be perfect for me. I have polished bits around my burgundy 'Goose.

Photo

|

6/8/2018 3:20 PM

x0rs wrote:

So, here's a good chance for me to learn something. I've seen all over where people ride with their seat slanted back. Is that ...more

It's really a mixture of A & C. To be honest, in surprised real bmx bikes still have seats at all. But they do come in handy for some tricks.. Bar spins, & the like. So, A for keeping out of the way, & C because it's angles back to match the tt angle.

|

7/3/2018 6:57 AM

x0rs wrote:

Hey everyone!

So, I'm 34yo; I have 3 kids, have been married for 15 years, and I haven't ridden BMX since before I got ...more

Where at in central indiana..I live in franklin but work up north a lot

|

7/10/2018 3:53 PM

x0rs wrote:

Hey everyone!

So, I'm 34yo; I have 3 kids, have been married for 15 years, and I haven't ridden BMX since before I got ...more

NateBrown62 wrote:

A bit east of Muncie. Where do you ride?

|

7/10/2018 8:05 PM

x0rs wrote:

Hey everyone!

NateBrown62 wrote:

x0rs wrote:

A bit east of Muncie. Where do you ride?

Franklin is my local and I sometimes ride Lawrence major Taylor and Columbus

|

11/23/2018 8:50 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

x0rs wrote:

So, here's a good chance for me to learn something. I've seen all over where people ride with their seat slanted back. Is that ...more

Comfort and to get out of the way. Now if you started when I did it is also a very simple way to alter the frame geo a bit due to rails. Longer top tube easy, kick the seat back on the rails and kick it up some. And so on

|