Fbm hardway frame!

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2016 11:49 AM


Got my hardway today! This will be more of a frame review than a bike check I guess, as not much else has changed from my bike check thread.

I have a feeling it's going to feel drastically different from my old bike. I managed to remove a full link from my chain, shortening the rear end. Also, I'm having to run my stem the right way up. My steerer is too short to run spacers, and the stem touched the frame when upside-down. Hopefully this time round I can get used to bigger bars!
The colour wouldn't have been my first choice, and I may raw it soon. However, it doesn't look quite as much like stale piss irl.
There's one thing I'm not too keen on about this frame, and that's the wide tyre clearance. It means I have to run more spacers on my cranks, otherwise the crank arms touch my chain stays. This also means my chainline isn't great. It's the first bmx frame I've had with that clearance (I had an ns capital last year when I thought big wheels might be cool) but I'd assume it's a common problem. I wouldn't mind it too much if I liked wide tyres, but I can't stand them!



Anyway, other than the headtube badge, there's no little details, which I usually like as it shows attention to detail. But I actually really like the simplicity and "no frills" of everything being plain.

It rained on my way home from work so I haven't had a chance to ride it, but if it's dry I'll ride it to work tomorrow and hopefully have a nibble when I finish.

|

4/5/2016 11:54 AM

I dig the color, its different and gives the bike an old school trails ride kinda feeling to it.

|


| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!


4/5/2016 1:59 PM

I'm liking the sort of rustic look the frame makes with the raw forks and the seat, but I think rawing it would look great as well

|

4/5/2016 4:27 PM

Damn that thing looks sick , don't know what you're talking about but that colour is legit . The graphics and badge are sex ! The brown seat and polished topload really make the bike pop , keep those on for sure ! Don't raw it !! But at the end of the day do what you want , you've seen my bike , pretty sure the FBM will show the weld marks if you raw it with stripper , so it'll look good either way .

Need some pegs on that bitch ...

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/5/2016 5:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2016 5:44 PM

You might be able to fix the chain line if you put those spacers on the outside of the sprocket and find a stack of small washers to put between the crank and sprocket at the sprocket bolt. You might have to grind them so they don't stick out and touch the frame.

Looks good though!

|

4/5/2016 11:26 PM

Cheers guys, the colour's growing on me the more I look at it. I might experiment with some trans black over the top of it just to dull it down a little.
Sorry brayden, I don't do pegs! I think it's just the fear of breaking parts that puts me off them more than anything!
I can't move the spacing around on my sprocket, the sprocket's really close to the frame as it is. I only needed the dust cover to space it out so it shouldn't really be an issue. But I didn't use any spacers at all on my old frame and it fit nicely, and the chainline was spot on. It shouldn't cause any issues, but if it does I'll think about getting in touch with fbm, see if they'll give me a discount on a custom frame hahaha.
The weather's crap again today so I still can't ride it

|

4/6/2016 1:17 PM

The frame in that colour looks better than you give it credit . I wonder what a S&M badge would do to my frame if I put one on . And besides spokes occasionally , pegs are fine ... just get guards haha .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/6/2016 5:54 PM

Maybe it's just the angle but to me it actually looks like you need another spacer between the bearings and sprocket. i like that color a lot...and the seat

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

4/6/2016 9:24 PM

Gorgeous color! I'd keep it awhile

|



Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

4/7/2016 3:13 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Maybe it's just the angle but to me it actually looks like you need another spacer between the bearings and sprocket. i like that color a lot...and the seat

It could do with more spacing, but I'm scared of running out of crank axle!

Rode it to work today, the bars feel massive. The frame feels really unstable but if I could lower the bars it would feel less like I'm going to loop out dropping off curbs! I'm sure I could get used to it, but it'll still feel unstable at speed. My reaction time isn't what it used to be so I can see me spending most of my time rolling around on the floor kek

|

4/7/2016 12:35 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Maybe it's just the angle but to me it actually looks like you need another spacer between the bearings and sprocket. i like that color a lot...and the seat

grumpySteve wrote:

It could do with more spacing, but I'm scared of running out of crank axle!

Rode it to work today, the bars feel massive. The frame feels really unstable but if I could lower the bars it would feel less like I'm going to loop out dropping off curbs! I'm sure I could get used to it, but it'll still feel unstable at speed. My reaction time isn't what it used to be so I can see me spending most of my time rolling around on the floor kek

75.25 + 23mm offset forks and 9.5 bars with a topload , and a short ass end ... it feels good ! For me at least

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/7/2016 10:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2016 4:16 AM

Yeah but you're young haha, I feel like I can't go fast or it'll loop out. Ordered a new top cap yesterday so I can flip my stem. It'll be a bit higher on my steerer than I'd like but it'll have to do for now. I'm going to see if there's enough dropout to add a half link today too.

|

4/8/2016 2:21 AM

That frame and trans gold is looking real good! What size TT did you go with?

|

4/8/2016 4:17 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

That frame and trans gold is looking real good! What size TT did you go with?

I got the 21". Yeah the colour's definitely grown on me. Looks so nice irl

|

4/8/2016 9:32 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Maybe it's just the angle but to me it actually looks like you need another spacer between the bearings and sprocket. i like that color a lot...and the seat

grumpySteve wrote:

It could do with more spacing, but I'm scared of running out of crank axle!

Rode it to work today, the bars feel massive. The frame feels really unstable but if I could lower the bars it would feel less like I'm going to loop out dropping off curbs! I'm sure I could get used to it, but it'll still feel unstable at speed. My reaction time isn't what it used to be so I can see me spending most of my time rolling around on the floor kek

i keep one spacer on both sides currently...at times i had 2 between my sprocket and BB. you'll be fine adding one in there.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

4/10/2016 7:14 AM


I've already got this spacer in there. It'll be fine.


Also flipped my stem. And added half a link to my chain. Had a little nibble on it today. It feels awesome! I'm over the moon with it now that I've dialled it in
|

5/27/2016 6:04 AM



Thought I'd upload a recent pic just because I can. I've ridden quite a bit recently and I'm over the moon now everything is dialled in. I'm playing with the idea of getting 8.75 u.s apes and a front load pma. Having I high rise stem upside-down down just seems counter productive. But at the same time I really like how it looks.
It didn't take long to get used to once I flipped my stem. And new forks will be ordered in a week or so hopefully (fbm cb4k's, from dans and shipped to the UK, because there aren't any over here and it actually works out cheaper).
I want to ride more. Luckily I've just got a transfer at work so I'll have a couple of week days off to ride!
#coolstorybro
|

5/27/2016 2:58 PM

Still think you need some pegs lol.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/9/2019 3:17 PM

grumpySteve wrote:
Got my hardway today! This will be more of a frame review than a bike check I guess, as not much else has changed from my bike check thread.

I have a feeling it's going to feel drastically different from my old bike. I managed to remove a full link from my chain, shortening the rear end. Also, I'm having to run my stem the right way up. My steerer is too short to run spacers, and the stem touched the frame when upside-down. Hopefully this time round I can get used to bigger bars!
The colour wouldn't have been my first choice, and I may raw it soon. However, it doesn't look quite as much like stale piss irl.
There's one thing I'm not too keen on about this frame, and that's the wide tyre clearance. It means I have to run more spacers on my cranks, otherwise the crank arms touch my chain stays. This also means my chainline isn't great. It's the first bmx frame I've had with that clearance (I had an ns capital last year when I thought big wheels might be cool) but I'd assume it's a common problem. I wouldn't mind it too much if I liked wide tyres, but I can't stand them!



Anyway, other than the headtube badge, there's no little details, which I usually like as it shows attention to detail. But I actually really like the simplicity and "no frills" of everything being plain.

It rained on my way home from work so I haven't had a chance to ride it, but if it's dry I'll ride it to work tomorrow and hopefully have a nibble when I finish.

Dude so I just got v2 of this frame. Waiting on it to come in the mail. Mines just plain old black, i absolutley love the yellow colorway with the raw. Thats one tough looking bike. Making the switch from S&M to FBM seems honorable to me seeing as I'm from the east coast. I love love love those raw pitchforks with the yellow. Shits Tuff with two EFFS. Cheers! Sorry for bumpin

|

6/10/2019 4:09 AM

grumpySteve wrote:
Got my hardway today! This will be more of a frame review than a bike check I guess, as not much else has changed from my bike check thread.

I have a feeling it's going to feel drastically different from my old bike. I managed to remove a full link from my chain, shortening the rear end. Also, I'm having to run my stem the right way up. My steerer is too short to run spacers, and the stem touched the frame when upside-down. Hopefully this time round I can get used to bigger bars!
The colour wouldn't have been my first choice, and I may raw it soon. However, it doesn't look quite as much like stale piss irl.
There's one thing I'm not too keen on about this frame, and that's the wide tyre clearance. It means I have to run more spacers on my cranks, otherwise the crank arms touch my chain stays. This also means my chainline isn't great. It's the first bmx frame I've had with that clearance (I had an ns capital last year when I thought big wheels might be cool) but I'd assume it's a common problem. I wouldn't mind it too much if I liked wide tyres, but I can't stand them!



Anyway, other than the headtube badge, there's no little details, which I usually like as it shows attention to detail. But I actually really like the simplicity and "no frills" of everything being plain.

It rained on my way home from work so I haven't had a chance to ride it, but if it's dry I'll ride it to work tomorrow and hopefully have a nibble when I finish.

svtesorodsy667 wrote:

Dude so I just got v2 of this frame. Waiting on it to come in the mail. Mines just plain old black, i absolutley love the yellow colorway with the raw. Thats one tough looking bike. Making the switch from S&M to FBM seems honorable to me seeing as I'm from the east coast. I love love love those raw pitchforks with the yellow. Shits Tuff with two EFFS. Cheers! Sorry for bumpin

I didn’t like the frame in the end and got a custom fbm (mellowed our geometry compared to the hardway). I’ve got my second fbm custom on its way to me now 😊

|

6/11/2019 11:41 AM

Well now I know where Steve went. He's not gone. He's a snake in the grass.

|

6/11/2019 12:34 PM

jbales wrote:

Well now I know where Steve went. He's not gone. He's a snake in the grass.

I thought this had been common knowledge almost immediately?!?!

|

6/11/2019 12:47 PM

jbales wrote:

Well now I know where Steve went. He's not gone. He's a snake in the grass.

.pegless. wrote:

I thought this had been common knowledge almost immediately?!?!

You'd think so with that name. New members come and go though. I was none the wiser lol.

|

6/11/2019 12:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2019 12:49 PM

But now looking at your profile pic full size. There's that unmistakable Steve style and spot.

|