Federal Hamilton. Back after 7 years in the shed!

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2018 3:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 4:01 AM

I've recently got back into BMX. We used to ride all the time when in high school but everybody went off to uni and we all stopped riding. Feels amazing to be back on the bike and progressing again at 24! Here is my ride, it's a total high school build on a budget bike so it's ghetto.

My plans are to revive it, upgrade some parts that are broken like the half stripped cranks and the rear wheel which has so much play it causes my tyres to rub and the axle is bent and rusted to hell. Also, the lock requires bolt cutters to get off, don't have the key after 7 years in a shed! I still love it though. So far I've put some 2.4 Fit FAF's on and I'm currently messing around my my friend's 9" bars as the current ones feel too low for me. I've also painted the front wheel black to match. Will get some better photos soon.

Photo

And just for those interested, here's a photo from back in 2011.
Photo

Frame: Federal Hamilton 20.25"
Forks: Odyssey Dirt Classic
Bars: Fit Northwest 8" Rise
Stem: S&M Redneck XLT
Grips: S&M Hoder
Headset: Mankind
Seatpost: Animal Wedge
Seat: Shadow Mid
Rear Rim: Oddysey Duralectra
Rear Hub: Odyssey V3 9t
Rear Hub Guard: United Squad
Rear Tyre: Fit FAF 2.4
Front Rim: Salt Plus
Front Hub: Salt Plus
Front Tyre: Fit FAF 2.35
Cranks: WeThePeople Royal
Pedals: Federal Contact
Sprocket: Federal Street 28t
Chain: KMC 510
Pegs: Salt Pro

|

6/13/2018 4:52 AM

Welcome back! You are luck to be back so soon after H.S.; I stopped at 15/16 years old, picked it up again at 18/19 when I was in the Military, then dropped it again 4 years later. I'm back at it now & that's WAY too long of a break. But yeah, it's awesome.... don't forget that! Gather your mates & ride whenever you can!

|

6/13/2018 4:58 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Welcome back! You are luck to be back so soon after H.S.; I stopped at 15/16 years old, picked it up again at 18/19 when I was ...more

Nice to see somebody else getting back into it after a hiatus. Nice to have the old crew around again at least for a little while. I've noticed being around an older crowd that there's way more supporting each other rather than competition and teenage angst grin

|

6/13/2018 5:31 AM

Welcome back to BMX man, I'm in the same boat as you. Rode for about a year when I was 16 and then started again last year when I was 23. Whereabouts in the U.K are you based?

|

6/13/2018 5:31 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Welcome back! You are luck to be back so soon after H.S.; I stopped at 15/16 years old, picked it up again at 18/19 when I was ...more

fooby wrote:

Nice to see somebody else getting back into it after a hiatus. Nice to have the old crew around again at least for a little ...more

There are a ton of us "returning rider" on this forum. In fact, I'd say we outnumber the new riders.

I'm still looking for a "crew" again. All my original crew are douche nozzles & I'm left to ride solo most every time I ride. I have a few guys I run into now & then but I haven't really made a connection with them so I ride when I can... by myself.

Where abouts are you located in the UK? I was stationed over there for 2 years.

|

6/13/2018 5:34 AM

Yeah I've been lucky enough to ride with a few really good riders. Definitely helps progression but you'll find 'em. I'm in Newcastle if either of you happen to be northerners grin

|

6/13/2018 5:38 AM

Ah... I know Newcastle well! Well, I did. We used to stop there on our way up to Edinburgh for dinner & some riding! I was stationed between Cambridge and Norwich at RAF Lakenheath.

|

6/13/2018 5:41 AM

Hey never knew that Mishinn, where/when were you stationed?

I'm from Hull dude, don't really know any locals so quite often ride solo (apart from my brother who doesn't really ride, he just enjoys filming and hanging out). Always up for meeting new people if you ever happen to be in the area though. Travelled to Leeds to meet up with Aitkenisgod the other month and it was sick, he's a good egg haha. Maybe we should organise a vital member jam? laughing

|

6/13/2018 6:01 AM

Where did you used to ride in Newcastle Misshin? And meet ups would be cool. Got friends in Sheffield so might make it down to Hull at some point soon.

|

6/13/2018 7:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 7:30 AM

fooby wrote:

Where did you used to ride in Newcastle Misshin? And meet ups would be cool. Got friends in Sheffield so might make it down to ...more

It's been so long, I can't even begin to say where. At the time,"street" wasn't really a thing. It was all vert/park or flatland. So we'd pick a spot & ride flatland/street with whatever was available.

|

6/13/2018 8:06 AM

fooby wrote:

Where did you used to ride in Newcastle Misshin? And meet ups would be cool. Got friends in Sheffield so might make it down to ...more

I live in the monkseaton area, unfortunately I won't be riding until about next year due to an ACL tear that happened in a riding accident but I might see you around then.

|

Hmmm

6/14/2018 12:49 AM

fooby wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

I live in the monkseaton area, unfortunately I won't be riding until about next year due to an ACL tear that happened in a ...more

No way man that's horrible. Get well, might see you around!

|

6/14/2018 9:05 PM

Damn , this is a gem .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/18/2018 4:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2018 4:32 AM

I've been eying up a new rear wheel as the play and rub mine has is horrible. I've been wanting to try a freecoaster for a while as I do loads of fakie tricks and it'll be interesting to try something different. I've found chainless to be a lot of fun.

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of used Colony wheels that I couldn't pass up. Was only planning on getting a rear but this worked out about the same price of picking up a new rear wheel and finding decent freecoaster wheels used it a task so I didn't want to pass them up. KHE internals which I've heard are time tested and easy to maintain and source bits for. Sure the wheels are worth more than my bike but it's an investment that will hopefully last a long time and help me progress.

|

7/14/2018 12:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2018 3:15 AM

Final update before I retire this frame, it's done me well for 8 years on and off but it's time to try out something different with a longer TT and tighter geo. A fair bit has changed since the last pic!

Colony Wasp / Clone hubs on Stolen Chamber rims. Loving the coaster and overkill double sidewall rims.
Fit Indent 3pc Cranks 175mm.
Éclat Venom PC Pegs 4.5" x3
BSD Jersey Barrier / Gsport Gland V4 hubguards
WTP 9.1" Bars
Demolition Momentum 2.35 / Fit FAF 2.3

Photo

|