My first Custom build! (Parts list)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2014 10:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2014 10:57 AM

Hey guys, this is going to be my first custom build. Firstly what I'm wondering about this list, is if all the parts fit. I did my best to research sizes etc. so everything should be fine. Secondly, are there any parts you would replace with better parts, or any that I can save some money on? I'd like to get the total down to around $900-950 if I can. Thanks for your help! smile

Frame: S&M ATF FRAME - Albes $355

Steering

Headset: KINK INTEGRATED HEADSET - Albes $22
Fork: KINK FOUNDATION FORK - Acebmx $90
Stem: PRIMO "A-NEYER-LATOR" STEM - Albes $65
Handlebars: KINK LYNX BARS - Albes $45
Grips: DUO CHRIS DOYLE GRIPS - Albes $11

Steering Subtotal: $233

Drivetrain

Bottom Bracket: MANKIND EPOCH 19mm MID BOTTOM BRACKET - Danscomp $18
Cranks: STOLEN S.I.C. CRANKS - Danscomp $65
Sprocket: MADERA HELM SPLINE-DRIVE SPROCKET - Danscomp $55
Pedals: PRIMO JJ PC PEDALS - Albes $17
Chain: ODYSSEY BLUEBIRD CHAIN - Albes $20

Drivetrain Subtotal: $175

Seating

Seat: ODYSSEY PRINCIPAL SEAT - Danscomp $32
Seat Post: CULT COUNTER CULTURE POST - Albes $23

Seating Subtotal: $55

Wheels & Brakes

Wheels: OHM 20" WHEELSET - Albes $160
Front Tire: CULT DEHART TIRE 2.35 - Albes $27
Back Tire: CULT DEHART TIRE 2.2 - Albes $27
Braking: ODYSSEY SPRINGFIELD "U" BRAKE KIT - Albes $30

Wheels & Brakes Subtotal: $244

Parts Total: $1,062

Paint

Total Weight: 22.5lb

Frame, Forks, Bars - Spaztix Gold to Red Aerosol
Cables, Sprocket, Cranks, etc. - Matte Black

|

7/17/2014 10:59 AM

Just totaled up the weight and it's 22.5lbs. Pretty darn light, so I could probably save some money by getting some heavier parts, would probably also ride a bit better. Any suggestions that might save me some $$ and bring me to the 23.5-24lb range? Thanks.

|

7/17/2014 11:11 AM

Don't get those SIC cranks, they're pretty bad. Of you want Stolen, go for the teams, they're 48 spline, and are supposed to be super strong

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

7/17/2014 11:14 AM

you'll never get those forks. ace is a joke

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/17/2014 11:16 AM

and those cranks and sprocket arent compatible. How much knowledge do you have?

|

7/17/2014 11:17 AM

notorious NIG wrote:

Don't get those SIC cranks, they're pretty bad. Of you want Stolen, go for the teams, they're 48 spline, and are supposed to ...more

Thanks for the warning! I'm not picky on specific brands, as long as the parts are high quality. I checked out some other cranks, which one would you suggest, if any? Thanks.

Redline Flight Cranks
Sunday Saker Cranks
Rant 8-S Cranks
Stolen Mob Cranks

If none of these are good, could you suggest some that are $130 or less?

|

7/17/2014 11:19 AM

notorious NIG wrote:

Don't get those SIC cranks, they're pretty bad. Of you want Stolen, go for the teams, they're 48 spline, and are supposed to ...more

Traffix wrote:

Thanks for the warning! I'm not picky on specific brands, as long as the parts are high quality. I checked out some other ...more

none of those will work the madera sprocket either.

|

7/17/2014 11:20 AM

tomdon wrote:

and those cranks and sprocket arent compatible. How much knowledge do you have?

Like I said in my first post, I wasn't 100% sure if all these parts were compatible, I tried my best to do so. Anyhow the cranks are getting changed as soon as I find new ones, so the sprocket will either be kept the same if it's compatible with the new cranks or I'll have to change it out.

|

7/17/2014 1:29 PM

Ok only buy from dans and albes and empire.. Your sprocket is spline drive and won't fit those bolt drive cranks get spine cranks which are expensive if you want cranks under 130$.. Get the premium cranks that are 100$ on dans and get a bolt drive sprocket!!! Hope I could help

|

Bicycle motor-cross Motor bicycle-cross Bicycle cross-motor Motor cross-bicycle!

7/18/2014 11:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2014 12:20 PM

Okay so I've decided to wait until next summer to have my custom built, and I bought a cheap temp bike off a friend. I've built up a new bike that I should be able to buy all the parts for before next summer.

Frame: WE THE PEOPLE SCORPIO 2014 FRAME $400

Steering

Headset: KINGSTAR INTEGRATED HEADSET $35
Fork: ODYSSEY R32 FORKS $135
Stem: CULT MIND CONTROL STEM $55
Handlebars: ODYSSEY AARON ROSS "DOUBLE SPACEBAR" BARS $80
Grips: ODYSSEY ADAM BANTON GRIPS $10

Steering Subtotal: $315

Drivetrain

Bottom Bracket: Eclat BB Kit 19mm $39
Cranks: HARO LINEAGE CRANKS $115
Sprocket: HARO LINEAGE SPROCKET (SPLINE DRIVE) $45
Pedals: DECO PC PEDALS w/ metal pins $27
Chain: ODYSSEY KEY CHAIN $35

Drivetrain Subtotal: $261

Seating

Seat: ODYSSEY PRINCIPAL SEAT $34
Seat Post: KINK FLAGPOLE POST $27

Seating Subtotal: $61

Wheels & Brakes

Wheels: CINEMA 333 WHEEL SET $150
Front Tire: KHE Premium Folding Kevlar Street Tire 2.1 $60
Back Tire: KHE Premium Folding Kevlar Street Tire 1.95 $60
Braking: ODYSSEY EVO 2 "U" BRAKE / LEVER KIT $70

Wheels & Brakes Subtotal: $340

Parts Total: $1,377

Also I did a virtual paintjob on this frame that looks a lot like the color changing paint I'll be respraying the Frame & Forks with. Everything else like spokes, rims, cranks etc will be matte black.

Photo

What do you guys think?

|

7/19/2014 5:18 AM

The parts list looks fine the second time around man, if thats what you want. Also dont be afraid to buy off the legit sellers on the bst forums as you can get amazing deals on wheelsets and parts and save you alot of money in the end. Just my opinion and what I have personally done.

|

7/19/2014 5:47 AM

edge814 wrote:

The parts list looks fine the second time around man, if thats what you want. Also dont be afraid to buy off the legit sellers ...more

You say 'if that's what you want' in quite an odd way, is there something lacking with the build? I'll be buying this part by part over the next year or so and because of that I'll have a lot of time to get the best deals on the parts I want.

|

7/19/2014 6:27 AM

notorious NIG wrote:

Notorious NIG is totally right about those cranks. For a bit of cost you could wait for the new shadow killers to come out of just you standard set of Profiles. The medera ht protocol cranks are cheaper then a lot of good cranks or the demolition revolts.

|

Team Hazard

7/19/2014 6:33 AM

notorious NIG wrote:

SubrosaRox wrote:

Notorious NIG is totally right about those cranks. For a bit of cost you could wait for the new shadow killers to come out of ...more

Also you aren't going to want the 333 wheel set. I'm a huge cinema fan but for any rider I would never suggest the 333's
If price isn't a problem for you and you still want cinema just get the cinema vx wheel set for a bit more but you an always use codes on dans to get them cheaper (just my opinion man, but it's your bike so you make the decisions)

|

Team Hazard