New to BMX, California!

Related:
Create New Tag

6/9/2013 12:05 AM

Whats up guys! A little bit about me, I'm kinda tall for a 20" bike @ 6'1", I'm a big car guy, wish I had a GF, some light fitness, video games. I'm on PSN so if anyone else plays COD BO2/zombies/Grid2 send me a friend request (PSN = ChipToothPanda). Instagram @chiptoofpanda and Facebook at Facebook.com/ChippedToothPanda

Photo

So I got my first real BMX 7 weeks ago today (Walmart bikes when I was 12 don't count IMO). It's a 2013 Fit BF1 complete (not totally familiar with BMX terminology so bare with me). I'm 23 with a full time job, so I don't get to ride it nearly as much as I'd like to. So far, though, I've got my 180s on flat ground down pat and working on my 360s. My main focus, however, is pretty much pushing the limits of my balance as much as possible (moving backwards is harder than i thought, but roll-outs are coming along) and trying to get comfortable in the air.

Anyway, I'm new to this board and pretty much to world of BMX alltogether, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here. I'm in the Central Valley, Ca so if anyone in the area is down to ride hit me up! I'm all ears, so any questions, comments or concerns just fire away. I appreciate any tips!
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Those who say it can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of those doing it.
FB @ www.facebook.com/ChippedToothPanda
IG @chiptoofpanda
PSN = ChipToothPanda

6/9/2013 5:04 AM

Welcome to da world of riding kids bikes bro, you'll love it this shit gets addictive.
Always had a fascination with Cali I'm jealous.

What styles of riding are you into?

Nice bike btw

Peace.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

6/9/2013 5:10 AM

Oh yeah and take dem reflectors off your wheels you don't need em, they ain't pretty

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

6/9/2013 9:58 AM

yeah lose the reflectors. i really like the color scheme of that though

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

6/9/2013 10:08 AM

You have a green 300zx? All I ever see is white. Haha

|

| Temper Tantrum | Instagram | Tumblr | Xbox - Slow Miatas |

6/9/2013 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2013 11:52 AM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Welcome to da world of riding kids bikes bro, you'll love it this shit gets addictive.
Always had a fascination with Cali I'm jealous.

What styles of riding are you into?

Nice bike btw

Peace.

Thanks bro. It's safe to say I'm already addicted. These things are like cars mean, I want a garage full of em haha, different mods, setups, schemes haha. Honestly, I'm not sure yet. There's really only dirt jumps in my area, so I wanna try a skate park. I don't have pegs (yet) either so that kills a lot of the street for me.

|

IG @chiptoofpanda
PSN = ChipToothPanda

6/9/2013 11:47 AM

tomdon wrote:

yeah lose the reflectors. i really like the color scheme of that though

For sure man they're gone lol. The color scheme is what got me to buy it though. Kind of a throwback classic OG style. But like I said in my previous post, I think I'm already addicted there are a couple other setups/schemes I want already haha.

|

IG @chiptoofpanda
PSN = ChipToothPanda

6/9/2013 11:47 AM

Looks good man! Welcome to vital and welcome to bmx.

Yeah pegless street is harder to find tricks to do, I only ride street and ride pegless.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/9/2013 11:50 AM

ii Krxfted wrote:

You have a green 300zx? All I ever see is white. Haha

Yep! It's a late model with a rare color code. Roughly 2% of all 300ZXs in the states are this color. The green is the first thing most people mention.

|

IG @chiptoofpanda
PSN = ChipToothPanda

6/9/2013 11:58 AM

Four wrote:

Yeah pegless street is harder to find tricks to do, I only ride street and ride pegless.

Thanks for the kind words!

Pegless street is difficult, especially since my bag of tricks is still very limited. Not sure if ill be getting pegs though. My buddy also got a 2013 Fit WITH pegs and the back of my feet always hit the pegs when I pedal. Then when I reposition my feet on the pedals to accommodate the pegs it just feels awkward. I was suggested from a local bike shop so step up to a longer top tube. Currently, mine is 20.5 and I'm really accustomed to that length. Not sure if another half inch or so will play to my advantage or just throw off my already established ergonomic geometry.

|

IG @chiptoofpanda
PSN = ChipToothPanda

6/9/2013 12:42 PM

Four wrote:

ChipToofPanda wrote:

Pegless street is difficult, especially since my bag of tricks is still very limited. Not sure if ill be getting pegs though. My buddy also got a 2013 Fit WITH pegs and the back of my feet always hit the pegs when I pedal. Then when I reposition my feet on the pedals to accommodate the pegs it just feels awkward. I was suggested from a local bike shop so step up to a longer top tube. Currently, mine is 20.5 and I'm really accustomed to that length. Not sure if another half inch or so will play to my advantage or just throw off my already established ergonomic geometry.

Anytime man!.

Yeah when I rode pegs I had that problem on my old frame and my new frame has a shorter chainstay length so I recon it would hit a lot. I like my feet a certain way so I can't reposition them. As for the top tube just ride what feels right to you I've rode a bunch of different sizes, 20, 20.5, 20.6, 20.7, 20.75 and 21. 21 was my favorite and I'm 5'8ish. Try different stuff, ride friends bikes and see what ya like, I've seen people who are 6'5 ride a 20.5 haha.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/9/2013 12:55 PM

Four wrote:

ChipToofPanda wrote:

Four wrote:

Anytime man!.

Yeah when I rode pegs I had that problem on my old frame and my new frame has a shorter chainstay length so I recon it would hit a lot. I like my feet a certain way so I can't reposition them. As for the top tube just ride what feels right to you I've rode a bunch of different sizes, 20, 20.5, 20.6, 20.7, 20.75 and 21. 21 was my favorite and I'm 5'8ish. Try different stuff, ride friends bikes and see what ya like, I've seen people who are 6'5 ride a 20.5 haha.

Ill have to try one out with a longer TT for sure! Thanks man I appreciate it

|

IG @chiptoofpanda
PSN = ChipToothPanda

6/9/2013 6:24 PM

Is that a Gopro or some camera on your bike (4th pic)? Would love to see some footage of your riding man!

|

Summer rustles my jimmies (:

6/10/2013 12:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/10/2013 12:54 AM

ToEndTheRapture wrote:

Is that a Gopro or some camera on your bike (4th pic)? Would love to see some footage of your riding man!

Yea it's a goPro Hero2. It's mounted in a weird spot. I thought it'd be a cool view/angle (which it is IMO), but seeing the footage from that view is kinda difficult at times, especially when I'm wearing lose pants/shorts. Actually, my avatar pic is a shot from that view.

|

IG @chiptoofpanda
PSN = ChipToothPanda