Nirve Theory

Related:
Create New Tag

11/2/2015 5:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/2/2015 5:25 PM

Hi all!

New member from N. Wales

I'm a 90s/00's video game fan - I've enjoyed playing Dave Mirra on Dreamcast so much I've decided to take it up as a new hobby - How's that for an opening line!

I've bought a Nirve Theory bike. I noticed Nirve was the brand Mike Laird used in the game so I took it as being reputable. I paid £50 after seeing it on eBay.

I'm not having much luck finding anything about the bike online. I don't know much about Nirve nor this model.

- Are Nirve a good make? (and is this model?)
- How much would this have cost (approximately) new?

Photo

|

11/2/2015 5:59 PM

Don't know too much about Nirve stuff to be honest. I remember seeing their stuff back when I was racing in the late 90's early 00's. I don't think they're bad but that bike definitely looks a little older. It's got 44/16 gearing and brakes front and rear lol.

|

11/2/2015 9:45 PM

They're not really big from what I gathered. The bike probably was a top of the line for the time. Might be a midline type of bike. It's not too bad but you're gonna have a harder time learning on that if you're trying to ride and do real tricks.

Sure, it's entirely possible, it's just so much harder.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/3/2015 12:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/3/2015 12:18 PM

Gut that bike to save some weight. Dial in the seat where you want it, then cut the excess material from the seat post. Trim your bars to your desired width. Remove the pegs if you aren't practicing peg tricks that very second. Remove at least one brake, if not both. Remove all reflectors, decals, kickstand, basically everything that you don't absolutely need in order to ride your bike. Micro drive sprockets (and the naturally shorter chain) will also drop weight and give you more ground clearance.

The more stuff you don't have on your bike, the less weight you have to huck around. This will make literally everything about riding easier - spins, bunnyhops, acceleration, you name it. Most weight reduction methods are free, minus buying lighter parts. Stay away from extreme modifications like hole drilling and cutting additional parts off unless you really know what you're doing. Don't endanger yourself, BMX is already risky enough.

|

11/3/2015 5:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/3/2015 5:45 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Thank you for the replies, here are a few more pictures.

I was surprised at how heavy the bike was - I'll look at taking a few bits off.I'd like to recondiion some of the parts of well.

In terms of age, I expect the components go some way to explaining. Would this be an early 00's bike?

It's quite interesting that although date by todays standards, this would have been mid/top line when new.

If anyone has more input on the Make/ Model please share!
|

11/4/2015 12:06 AM

Ride it and have fun , looks like a good bike for the age it has

Rock it how it is until you break stuff . Don't worry about replacing things

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/4/2015 8:49 AM

Sweet there's some nostalgia with that thing , Mike laird and Stephen Murray used to ride for nirve , ride it man

|

11/4/2015 7:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/4/2015 7:09 PM

Hi all,

I used the 'Wayback' internet archive (I'm so glad someone had the idea to actually do this!)

So, this is the Nirve website as it appeared in August 2004

Photo

''Theory''

Appears to be a name been given to two different bikes made by Nirve.

US version

Photo

UK version

Photo

So from looking through the archived pages;

- The model was made between 2004-2006 (The Nirve UK site only existed for two years)
- Nirve stopped selling BMX bikes in the US in 2005
- The bike is under the ''F.S /Trail'' section - not the ''Bmx'' section (Isn't it a BMX?)

I can tell by the UK Price (£220 converts to about $350) that it was a mid-level bike.

Was the spec on the U.K one good for its time and does it still stand up now?

|

11/5/2015 6:38 AM

It's a decent bike dude...just ride it the way it is and have fun! Don't worry about taking the decals off and all that shit...the bike is clean the way it sits. Your bike will still be heavy after taking all the "unnecessary" stuff off lol. Back in the early 00's it wasn't about having a bike that weights less than 25lbs and being ultra light with EVERYTHING. It was about having super strong stuff that would NEVER break. So having a bike that was 35-50lbs was normal. Sure bunny hopping is more difficult but if you can learn to ride a heavy bike and do all the stuff you want to do on this bike...a 25lb bike will be cake. Anyone can jump on a light bike and bunny hop over shit...anyways just ride it and have fun like I said lol.

|

11/7/2015 3:49 PM

i had a nerve nucleus in 2006 and it was solid!
its gonna be hard to learn on that but everything on its tough.
its so cool that you've got into because of video games,if it wasnt for the tony hawks series i dont think id be who i am today

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

11/14/2015 2:31 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone, the weather here has been typically UK and I've had two good plays with it. Just getting used to being on it and going over gentle ramps. Haven't found the courage to drop in yet.

From reading, the better bikes seem to the ones made of chro-mo.

I can understand why.

It just got me thinking though - back in the aforementioned ''Dave mirra videogame'' (early 00's), was Chro Mo a very expensive rarity or was it fairly common? My point being at some stage were the good riders doing all these tricks on the Hi Ten framed bikes?

|