HYDRO-FOAM [Retired]

Related:
Create New Tag

1/19/2017 2:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2017 12:24 PM

EDIT (4/17/17): Renaming this Thread to better suit its new purpose. This used to be my "BMX Experiment" thread, now changed to update my bike setup. Thanks!

Hey, all. Maybe some of you know that "burnt out" feeling of riding. Tired of the same tricks and the same setup and the same location. Time to experiment!

So, I will be changing my setup just to try something new.

I run (and have been running) brakes. I've never owned a brakeless setup myself ever, so I'll be removing the cables and levers and calipers to begin the "transformation", if you will, haha. Next, out with the 8.5" bars I have now and on to Perfect 10" bars that I ran for a short while earlier. Next, I'll add two pegs and two hub guards, left side. I never grind, I used to run pegs maybe three times a year, no longer than two weeks at a time, so this will change my perspective of my ledge-infested local, lol. I'll also revert back to my cassette. Lastly, I'll ride on a 1.95" Maxxis tire in the back, and a 2.3" Fit FAF up front.

I feel pretty amped up on this build plan, and I've only just started with the upper cable removal and wheel builds. I'll be gone over the weekend, but I'll post photos when it's done.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

1/19/2017 6:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2017 6:18 PM

Lmao that's funny. I'm building a bike with that exact same intention right now, albeit less extreme of a change. Fatter tires, plastic pegs (not a big change, i just prefer riding metal), brakeless (also something i'm already used to since i rode brakeless until 1 year ago just about) and a focus on being lighter.

I'm also going to try learning more tech tricks and combos. Stuff I normally dont enjoy watching at all because I think its slow and less stylistic IMO but I might as well try it. It's a challenge. Anything you're doing about your riding in general other than trying out pegs? I'm telling you, its a LOT of fun to ride with em.

|

1/19/2017 7:42 PM

I recommend giving it a while. Force yourself to have it for a month. I ran front and rear brakes for a year, with a coaster for 9ish months of that.

I am about to go back to that setup-the exception will be I want to get a rim that can handle brake to relace my cassette, so I can swap out rear wheels easier.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/19/2017 8:53 PM

I was curious as to why your bike had changed so much in that instagram clip...

I recently switched to a coaster and I love it! It only took about a week to get used to the slack, and now I don't even notice it. I've tried 4 pegs, but I could never get the hang of right side grinds. And as for brakeless, I tried it for a week and I didn't care for it at all. I'll bring back right side pegs eventually, but not for a while.

|

1/21/2017 1:17 PM

Sounds like a good idea! I think the thing you'll least like about it will be the big bars. Being brakeless doesn't take that much time to get used to, and it makes a lot more aware of what's going on around you. I'm disappointed you're becoming a peg thug though haha

|

1/21/2017 3:00 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Lmao that's funny. I'm building a bike with that exact same intention right now, albeit less extreme of a change. Fatter ...more

Lol, nice, man!

As for the riding style, I think I will be forced to think differently now that my brakes are going off. I guess more grinds to manual or spins, but IDK since I suck with those variations, haha, but I guess I'll be giving those a go.

|

@scootereyn

1/21/2017 3:01 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I recommend giving it a while. Force yourself to have it for a month. I ran front and rear brakes for a year, with a coaster ...more

Yup, definitely gonna try to stick with it for a good while, and I'll remember this thread to hold myself accountable, haha!

|

@scootereyn

1/21/2017 3:03 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I was curious as to why your bike had changed so much in that instagram clip...

I recently switched to a coaster and I love ...more

Haha, yeah.

I, too, never liked a 4-pegs setup. Guess we'll be trading setups in a way now, lol.

|

@scootereyn

1/21/2017 3:06 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Sounds like a good idea! I think the thing you'll least like about it will be the big bars. Being brakeless doesn't take that ...more

For sure, when I first ran them 10"-ers for like a week, I was just, "Whoa, man..."

Haha, but I'll try to focus on more creative ways to utilize pegs, I have a few ideas in mind, hopefully they're not too hard in reality. Honestly, I'm not absolutely pumped on running pegs, but I'd just want to give 'em a longer period of time in riding just for the experience. I'll be back to the #SadPeglessSociety soon enough!

|

@scootereyn

1/22/2017 8:58 PM

Alrighty, it's been on one ride, and I have to say I'm more happy with it than I thought I'd be! Took a while to learn to control speed and other small things without brakes, but I've got the hang of it now and the bars feel great.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

@scootereyn

1/23/2017 10:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2017 10:56 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I recommend giving it a while. Force yourself to have it for a month. I ran front and rear brakes for a year, with a coaster ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Yup, definitely gonna try to stick with it for a good while, and I'll remember this thread to hold myself accountable, haha!

I just got rid of all my stuff that would allow me to easily swap. I hate the look of brake mounts on a fork without brakes, so that was a big motivator.

This week I am going to do a time lapse of the full overhaul on my BMX I think. It will at least be something fun to do!

Also for the options WITH pegs, do rocket manual stuff, and learn a few flatland moves to throw down. Watch Erik Elstran videos for inspiration on creativity!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/23/2017 11:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2017 11:42 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I just got rid of all my stuff that would allow me to easily swap. I hate the look of brake mounts on a fork without brakes, ...more

Sweet, man! I have to say, it was real fun swapping to this setup, probably because of that "new setup" stoke factor, haha, but it was enjoyable nonetheless!

And I've definitely been having fun with pegs not doing grinds. I learned that thing where you roll backwards with one foot on your front peg (is it a fork roll...?) and other random, jibby things. Hopefully my small little edit will be in the works soon.

|

@scootereyn

1/24/2017 9:06 AM

Lookin good...

|

2/4/2017 11:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2017 11:28 PM

Well, it's been a while since I began this "experiment" thingy, and I've discovered a few things.

1. Pegs (for me) get really boring really fast
2. Re-learning the tricks I had with brakes have been fun, real fun
3. I like the clean look of the bike
4. I plan to remain brakeless for a while
5. I still hate fat tires

I'll stick with this setup for a week more, then I'll do a rebuild on Saturday and dial everything in to how I envision my pegless park beast.

|

@scootereyn

2/5/2017 3:27 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Well, it's been a while since I began this "experiment" thingy, and I've discovered a few things.

1. Pegs (for me) get really ...more

I was just on here to ask how you were getting on with it haha.

I've tried different things and felt the exact same way. It's good to try different set ups, but there's no point riding a bike you don't like the feel of. I'll never like big bars or wide tyres. Or really aggressive geometry. And I feel the same about pegs (last time I put them on I could still do all the same tricks I could from years ago, all of which I do pegless anyway).

I'm looking forward to how you like your bike once you've set it up how you want it!

|

2/5/2017 10:27 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I was just on here to ask how you were getting on with it haha.

I've tried different things and felt the exact same way. It's ...more

Definitely agree here! It was a great experience, but yeah, sticking to what I know and like in terms of setup will always be the way to go!

|

@scootereyn

2/11/2017 5:45 PM

Welp, it's finally over. My "BMX Experiment" has concluded.

It was a great experience, and it was cool to give those new things a try. But I belong here in the #SadPeglessSociety on a cassette, and, now, without brakes. It's really nice to have a bike brakeless, as I have been surprised to figure out. There's just something cool about it and I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'll keep it this way for a long time, haha.

I'm so glad to be back riding this setup that I never get tired of. I'll take some better photos later today and re-update my bike check as well so everything looks better.

Photo

|

@scootereyn

2/15/2017 1:19 PM

Riding brakeless will make you a better rider. It makes you more aware of your surroundings, you learn how to judge your speed, and it will make you commit to tricks, that you might not if you had brakes.

|

2/15/2017 11:32 PM

Your bars still look massive haha

|

2/16/2017 12:59 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Riding brakeless will make you a better rider. It makes you more aware of your surroundings, you learn how to judge your ...more

Definitely made me wary of surroundings more, that's for sure! Finally learned decent 270's with the lack of a brake, haha.

|

@scootereyn

2/16/2017 1:01 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Your bars still look massive haha

Yuuuup, for sure, lol! I dunno, it was hard to go back lower and I find these real comfy now that I've grown used to them and myself not hunching over. Beginning to like them a lot more!

|

@scootereyn

2/16/2017 4:41 AM

Cool to see that you enjoyed a couple of the changes you made.

|

4/17/2017 9:28 PM

Welp, starting this Thread back up as an "Update Log" for my bike in addition to updating my bike in the Bike Check section.

It's been a while since my "BMX Experiment" thingy and I've got my setup just about perfect for me as of now.

Parts-wise, nothing has changed. However, my setup of a few bits here and there have been altered.

1. Stretched out my ODI Longnecks more.
2. Cranks are not as crazily tight.
3. Chain is not as crazily tight.
4. Tire PSI a bit lower. Used to run 95, now I'm at 80.
5. Visible seatpost, haha.

I addition, I've hand-painted my hubs, seatpost, and BB bolts for extra accents of silver, shiny color. I've been running this exact setup for about a week now and I can safely say it's the best my bike has ever been. My riding has moved to more jibby and "nubby" lately, and it's been more fun than ever! I'll grab better photos for my Bike Check sooner or later!

Photo

|

@scootereyn

4/29/2017 4:55 PM

Brakes are back on and the seat is slammed again. Loving it!

Photo

|

@scootereyn

4/29/2017 6:55 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Brakes are back on and the seat is slammed again. Loving it!

Photo

The brakes are looking great! I'd love to have a good gyro setup someday

|

4/29/2017 11:03 PM

Welcome back to the brake havers group smile

|

4/30/2017 2:12 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

The brakes are looking great! I'd love to have a good gyro setup someday

Thanks, Dan!

Didn't you have a gyro at some point? I swear I saw you with one... no?

|

@scootereyn

4/30/2017 2:14 AM

Beamex wrote:

Welcome back to the brake havers group smile

Thanks! It's nice to be back, and I won't be brakeless for the next long while. smile

|

@scootereyn

5/14/2017 6:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/14/2017 6:25 PM

Busted the lower dual cable unit, so it'll be back to this good old minimalistic setup. Also, the silver parts are gone and black is back.

Photo

|

@scootereyn

5/14/2017 7:02 PM

Probably because it wasnt a real dual cable system wink sick looking though

|