Failure til' SUNDAY

Related:
Create New Tag

9/6/2017 6:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2018 8:55 PM

So I am not a long time rider, I have already broken/bent many parts though and have gone the route of buying a used complete and upgrading when things have worn out or broken.

The bike was originally a failure maniac complete. I peeled all the stickers off, and painted it flat black from gloss black, then tan, then raw.

It was a combination of chromoly (tt and dt) and hi-ten.

The bike was sold to me without brakes and I rode it like that for a total of 2 days and almost died 2 times. So I decided to hit up a local shop and got some mission U-brakes, lever and linear cable.

The first part to to go were the forks, bent the hell out of them relatively quickly when learning to do flyouts and hops. Replaced with Odyssey R25 forks.

Then the grips of course, have gone through about 5 or 6 pairs now. Currently running Kink samurai grips. Avoid shadow conpiracy mays grips! Very slippery and wear quick.

My tires were not grippy enough, came with some innovas and they were really heavy as well, ended up replacing them with duo street tires, then when the rear one literally blew up (made a belt out of the tread!) I no longer had trust in the tire. Picked up some Odyssey Dugan 2.4 front 2.3 rear tires. Currently I am running eclat mirage 2.35F 2.25R tires.

Rear hub was the next to go, ended up completely disintegrating coming out of a flyout. The hub had been making an odd sound for a few hours before it happened and it was slipping like every rotation. The hub locked up and I ended up crashing as a result. I replaced it with a Rant "Party on" complete rhd cassete wheel. Double wall rims, single wrap around spring...tons of problems started skipping frequently on the very first day. Scary pedalling hard towards an obstacle and having your cranks slip forward and throw your balance off right before a jump...currently running an Odyssey antigram female hub cassette laced to hazardlite rims. Awesome!

My front wheel started acting up, replaced bearings, later to find it was actually the axle that was smaller in diameter on one side. I switched the "good" bearing to the other side and it suddenly became the "bad" bearing. The axle was also bent and the hardware kept busting threads so I just ended up picking up an eastern front wheel with female hub laced to a diode rim. Only issue Ive had so far is an actual blown bearing from poorly executed 180's I assume. Super light weight!

I started developing a fear of my bars breaking or bending after a hard landing so I picked up some Odyssey Highway bars. Cut em short...too short. Had to buy another pair and didnt touch em this time. Now I actually like the extra width!

My stock 1-peice seat started coming unglued and ripped as well. Felt some other seats and immediately realized there was both better durability and adjustablity to be had. Picked out a federal pivotal seat and a random aluminum seat post, chopped off for weight and I dont like my seat high anyway.
Great seat, very comfy when I slip a pedal or coast down a hill.

I crashed pretty hard at a cement skatepark and bent my left crank arm and it felt weird to pedal and was barely touching my chainstays. Replaced the 3 peice cranks with Odyssey RHD 170mm thunderbolts. The only reason I went with 170mm vs 175mm was I found them for cheaper. Lol

One day I was trying to learn pedal stalls on a cement ledge. I chewed through my plastic stock pedals and bent my stock steel 25t sprocket during the same day. I first replaced the pedals since I started slipping more and getting shinners more regularly. Got the duo aluminum body steel pin, unsealed bearing pedals. Hated how they looked, hated the pins, hated how tall they felt. Ate through 2 pairs of shoes quickly. Decided to try a different pair. Got the Eclat Slash alloy pedals next. Loved the design, pins were not as aggressive, thinner profile...Crashed once and one pedal developed a ton of back and forth as well as top to bottom play. Tried adjusting it with the 2 screws and ran out of threaded axle before the play disappeared...crashed again on the other side and same thing happened. Currently running Odyssey Grandstand Alloy pedals...much more grip, comfort and ability to tighten up if they become loose.

As for the sprocket, i tried bending it back and that worked for a while but was weakened significantly. Replaced with a tree 25t 7075 t6 aluminum sprocket, super smooth straight as an arrow. I changed chains a few times to find a chain I liked and read that if you change any part of the drivetrain it will suffer if not all replaced at the same time. My sprocket was worn on the parts the rollers engage with so I bought a 25t Odyssey fang, rode that for a while till i started getting tendonitus in my left knee from surgery. Moved on to a 23t kink bedlam sprocket! Feels really nice on my knee!

The chains: Kmc first, then a cheap bell, then ended with a Odyssey Hollow Keychain. Great chain! Doesnt feel super flexy like the other chains Ive tried.

Stock stem was time to go, i had stripped the paint off the old one and sprayed it matte tan for the theme I was going for. It was getting pretty tore up from removing it so many times and I stopped trusing it for whatever reason. Replaced it with a colony 7075 t6 aluminum 53mm reach front load stem. Seemed to improve my riding, not sure if it was just a boost in confidence or the 3mm of reach but it was notable.

The last big thing that happened was I twisted my rear triangle from all the bad 180's lol no matter how much i tried my back wheel would not line up properly. My back wheel had to be aiming to the left to rotate without hitting my seatstays and brake pads. I could feel it when riding and seemed like my rolling resistance was altered due to my tire in the rear being crooked...did some research and decided on a 21" raw Sunday Streetsweeper! Awesome frame, dont have to worry about it. I have crashed several times pretty hard since I have owned it and I trust it is intact when I pick it up.

Its got built in rear tensioners for your wheel, drilled for gyro tabs, brake hardware included and removable for brakeless riders. Internally gusseted, immaculate welds, steeper headtube angle and a 12" (give or take) back end...Super short wheelbase but feels great!

I have added and changed little things too like a gyro system since I was tired of crashing and having to determine which way i needed to rotate my bars to untangle the cable lol. Also started wanting to learn footjam tailwhips (still working on). Bar ends (shadow conpiracy aluminum ones), brake pads, generic ones, tried out the clear ghost pads...hated them. didnt stop me and they were LOUD! Switched out to the black compound ghost pads and had less noise.

Replaced my brake lever recently because It broke. Got the springfield medium lever! Very comfy

Thats all I can think of for the moment. I have spent a lot of time and money to get my bike to where it is now. Its super solid and I no longer worry about anything breaking due to the expensive parts being lifetime warrantied.

Hope you enjoyed the read and the pics below. Ill put them in a logical order.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/6/2017 6:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2017 7:40 PM

I will upload new pics If anything significant changes. smile

|

9/7/2017 7:03 AM

That frame looks beautiful. I'm in the process of setting up my bike and it's pretty much the same colour scheme, cannot go wrong at all. Tidy.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

9/7/2017 9:37 AM

Ya, the black on raw is a good look, simple but just enough to visually appreciate. I rawed my last frame and even sanded the tubes to give the tubes a horizontal grain, clear coated it with a matte clear coat. It doesnt even come close to how beautiful this sunday frame is though...heres a pic of the old frame after I rawed it. I ended up leavimg some of the imperfections cause I liked how industrial it looked, I later removed most of them but It looked cool for a while! Lol Photo

|

11/5/2017 6:20 PM

Welp...my Odyssey Antigram cassette driver has developed a problem...

I will be on an Eastern Venus Cassette until Odyssey sends me some replacement parts and or wheel.

The driver on this hub is really thin and the chain kinda goes where it wants. Not sure I like that but as long as it doesnt cause any problems it will be fine, I suppose.

The gold looks better in person, i might throw a gold rim up front in the near future depending on how much I like this rear wheel.Photo

|

11/7/2017 11:42 AM

How much did you cut your original bars that you bought new ones?

|

11/7/2017 12:40 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

How much did you cut your original bars that you bought new ones?

Well...Id say around id say at least 4-6 inches total. Lol

I used my old bars as refrence and figured id match them but I didnt take into account how weird it would feel being the same width-wise but taller...

Made me feel like the bike was a unopened stack of grahm crackers.

|

11/7/2017 12:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2017 7:56 AM

Holy shit! LOL! Yeah, that's a lot to lop off!

|

11/7/2017 1:58 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Holy shit! LOL! Yeah, that's a lot to lop off!

Ya, my wife was like "are you sure you dont want to just cut like an inch off at first..." I was impatient and confident that my bars were too long. I fid measure and the cuts were clean. I ended up selling the bars to a guy that needed them for 40 bucks, he loved them.

|

12/1/2017 8:04 PM

Heres my new setup!

Added some Odyssey Mpegs and G-sport Uniguards front and back! Primo Annihilator top load stem. Lhd 170mm Thunderbolt cranks, plastic Odyssey Grandstand pedals.

Thinking about painting the stem flat black...not sure though.Photo

|

12/5/2017 2:13 PM

I'd keep the stem as-is if I were you, it looks quite good already. Loving the Thunderbolts, best cranks in the game! I love mine. How are you liking the m-pegs so far?

|

12/5/2017 3:17 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I'd keep the stem as-is if I were you, it looks quite good already. Loving the Thunderbolts, best cranks in the game! I love ...more

This is it now...my rear axle bolt snapped so I switched back to my pricier black odyssey wheel.

Mpegs have been great! Wearing down quick on the concrete though...Photo

|

12/5/2017 10:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2017 12:01 AM

You're just breaking them in m8 mine look like that too. Maybe it's just me but it feels like it slides better that way.
Photo

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

12/10/2017 5:18 PM

Hey I was just wondering.... do you think there's a bug difference between the hollow Keychain and the solid one? I just orderd a solid one and was just wondering...smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/10/2017 5:25 PM

I also heard that the Keychain is kind of rough and not really that quiet... is yours rough or smooth, quiet or loud... becasue having a smooth quiet drivetrain is pretty important to me...

|

12/10/2017 7:54 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I also heard that the Keychain is kind of rough and not really that quiet... is yours rough or smooth, quiet or loud... ...more

Just weight.

The hollow one is supposed to be stronger too but I doubt we would ever notice the difference.

Youll love it!

|

12/10/2017 8:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2017 8:11 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I also heard that the Keychain is kind of rough and not really that quiet... is yours rough or smooth, quiet or loud... ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Just weight.

The hollow one is supposed to be stronger too but I doubt we would ever notice the difference.

Youll love it!

Ok cool! Ive read the hollow ones are stronger, but I'm like how?grin I would think the solid one would be stronger lol... but I like the look of the solid one more for some reason, so that's why I went with that.... it's so hard becasue the reviews I've read say that the master pins break or what not... I really don't want to deal with snapping chains... hopefully this is something Odyssey has fixed over time...

Also would you consider the chain to be pretty smooth?

|

12/10/2017 8:12 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Just weight.

Youll love it!

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Ok cool! Ive read the hollow ones are stronger, but I'm like how?grin I would think the solid one would be stronger lol... but I ...more

Ive had 3 master pins break. They send me new ones for free, just dont over tighten them.

|

12/11/2017 6:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2017 7:00 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Ive had 3 master pins break. They send me new ones for free, just dont over tighten them.

Ok cool! So then I'm assuming as long as your chain line is straight (mine is pretty straight) it will be pretty smooth then?

But other than asking about the chain, this is a sick build!

|

12/11/2017 8:51 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Ok cool! Ive read the hollow ones are stronger, but I'm like how?grin I would think the solid one would be stronger lol... but I ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Ok cool! So then I'm assuming as long as your chain line is straight (mine is pretty straight) it will be pretty smooth then?
...more

Id say so, depending on how much clearance you have from your teeth to driver body.

Also just to give you an example, you may have already heard it here or somewhere else but try and bend an aluminum straw by hand; take that same thickness and make it a solid peice, you will notice it would be easier to bend. The straw (if you were able to) would snap but it would take a Ton more force to get it to that point compared to the solid rod.

This is why odyssey and others have moved on to hollow crank spindles/axles and why the hollow version of the keychain is stronger.

Sorry if i did a bad job explaining this. I just woke up...lol

|

12/21/2017 6:10 AM

Does the uni guard work well on the back? I just ordered one for my new back wheel.

|

Hmmm

12/21/2017 7:13 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Does the uni guard work well on the back? I just ordered one for my new back wheel.

Works super awesome!

|

12/21/2017 8:07 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Works super awesome!

Nice

|

Hmmm

1/7/2018 6:33 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Id say so, depending on how much clearance you have from your teeth to driver body.

Also just to give you an example, you may ...more

Not sure that chain pins and bottom bracket axles can be related mechanically-speaking.

Crank spindles/axles are subjected to bending and torsion stresses (where having a hollow tube makes more sense), whereas chain pins are in shear.

In shear, the more material you've got, the better it resists. Think about using scissors to cut through cardboard. Get the image? Now grab some paper sheets, stack em up for the same thickness, and try again.

Main reason the pins are hollow is for weight-saving.

If they were full, sure, it would be stronger (in shear), but it's the chain plates that are going to give. It's always a question of who's going to break first, thus the need for experimenting, calculating, and testing.

Thoughts?

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

1/7/2018 6:58 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Also just to give you an example, you may ...more

Skylight wrote:

Not sure that chain pins and bottom bracket axles can be related mechanically-speaking.

Crank spindles/axles are subjected ...more

I like your example with the paper, it makes sense. I do still think the hollow pins add strength for certain things like pedaling hard but I do also see where having less material would be a problem with a chain. The inner plates would eventually cut through the pins with enough time. The same thing would happen with both chains but the hollow pin version would be much quicker, I think.

I think I might have basically just repeated what you initially said but either way, I agree with you in most ways. smile

|

1/7/2018 8:03 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I like your example with the paper, it makes sense. I do still think the hollow pins add strength for certain things like ...more

They wouldn't cut through if the chain was regulary cleaned and lubed but if something gets in it and makes a small dent in one side of a link I think that would be a lot weaker

|

Hmmm

1/7/2018 9:03 AM

Skylight wrote:

Crank spindles/axles are subjected ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

I like your example with the paper, it makes sense. I do still think the hollow pins add strength for certain things like ...more

Edman123 wrote:

They wouldn't cut through if the chain was regulary cleaned and lubed but if something gets in it and makes a small dent in ...more

Ill show you what im talking about when i get home. Trying to make a deal on a car right now! smile wish me luck!

|

1/7/2018 9:08 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

They wouldn't cut through if the chain was regulary cleaned and lubed but if something gets in it and makes a small dent in ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Ill show you what im talking about when i get home. Trying to make a deal on a car right now! smile wish me luck!

God luck

|

Hmmm

1/7/2018 9:15 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

God luck

Thats like 200 steps better than good luck! Thank you! Lol

|

1/7/2018 9:42 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Whatcha trying to buy?

|