Old Man Young!

Related:
Create New Tag

2/25/2016 5:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2016 1:25 AM

Hi all, I've just bought my first bmx since I was 13! Nearly 45yrs old now and thought ' why not '.

I've been out on it a couple of times now and trying to learn some new tricks and get the hang of it all again. It's hard graft!

Anyway I just wanted to say hi.

From Rubery in Birmingham

Liam

|

4/6/2016 12:34 PM

Sorry for the late response! Welcome to the forum. Everything usually happens in general chat.
Welcome back to riding! I myself am 35 and only got back into it a couple of years ago

|

5/25/2016 6:53 AM

I'm 28 and just bought a bmx, used to ride when I was 15 lol

It is hard graft, keep injuring myself but keep trying!

Good luck!

|

7/10/2016 2:35 PM

I live near Reading just got into bmx at 48 ... Welcome the old timers club ...

|

8/11/2016 1:55 PM

Another here. Been at it again since around 2008 although I hadn't ridden much in the last 2 years but back on it now. I ride trails mostly. Gloucestershire

|

8/18/2016 12:33 AM

Morning chaps!

I'm 29, and have just this week got a new bike after a 10 year break...

To say I'm a little 'rusty' would be an understatement!

The fact that I can't even 'bunny hop' at the moment is frustrating to say the least!

It's going to be a steep and painful learning curve I'd imagine...

Based in Basingstoke, Hampshire

Cheers,
Rob

|

8/19/2016 1:51 AM

Nice one Rob if you want a bit of company at one of the local parks I live in Burghfield Common so just up the road from you I am a beginner so learning ..

I have been using a couple of the smaller parks around Reading Sunday mornings before anyone else turns up .. I found a good one near Tilhurst nice concrete park ..

Cheers
Paul

|

8/19/2016 6:51 AM

Ace. Love it! Sorry for not replying, I forgot my password!

I came off about a month ago with no pads on, my first time on a skate park too! Smacked my knee and damn it hurt lol

Still loving it though.

|

8/19/2016 11:58 AM

I still need to get pads I have been lucky so far come off a dozen times now without injury !!

|

11/28/2016 1:01 PM

Another one here. Been off the (little) bike completely for a 4 + years but before that it was about 10 + years of very intermittent riding. The usual problem of time and weather syncing up. Giving it another go. I was never amazing but it is horrible to feel so sketchy. Fell off dropping into a bowl the first time I got back on the bike! Hampshire / Dorset boarder.

|

3/31/2017 4:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2017 4:16 AM

I'm in the "bike hunting" stage coming back after a 27 ish year break at age 37, will mostly be park riding, just searching on gumtree and ebay at the moment for something with a Chromoly Frame around the £100 mark, have seen a few at that price, but the annoying thing about gumtree is it lists EVERY bike (800+ bikes) when you search just for BMX, so having to add in brand names like WTP, Haro, Hyper etc into the search to narrow it down, unfortunately my brand knowledge isn't too great with being away from it after 27 years.

I want a chromoly bike cos the last BMX i had i managed to break in half and that was at age 10 lol

|

4/5/2017 8:27 AM

weegaz22 wrote:

I'm in the "bike hunting" stage coming back after a 27 ish year break at age 37, will mostly be park riding, just searching on ...more

I had better luck on ebay.

Realised I've never actually put myself in here. 31 years old and just started back up January with a cheap Fit Complete. Hailing from Leicester and only getting to ride once a week but I'm really enjoying my time riding when I can.

Not as ballsy as I used to be though.

|

4/10/2017 10:43 AM

It's good to see a load of old timers in the UK on little bikes! If any of you are on Facebook there's a group called ride on bmx. It's full of other old guys. Also, for any of you looking for a bike, search for bmx buy/sell groups on Facebook, there's probably one fairly local to you, and they've usually got plenty of bargains from people building nice bikes then quitting

|

5/9/2017 1:54 PM

I'm looking to get into riding again ( 20 years away ) at 38 nearly 39 nothing to crazy just little street maybe flatland type stuff . Looking at academy desire from chain reaction anybody heard bad things about it , also looked at mafia madmain but have read bad things about them .

|

6/1/2017 7:45 AM

Check out OldFatGuyBMX on YouTube

Let's you know you're not alone at starring to ride agsin

|

6/15/2017 4:12 AM

It's really good to see these posts. I'm 31 and used to ride when I was 13-16.

My son is 7 and recently got into BMX, so to help out I've got myself a WeThePeople to join him. Would love to get riding trails again.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

6/15/2017 7:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2017 7:26 AM

Love how this post is till going with us old farts having a go!

|

6/22/2017 3:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2017 3:31 AM

And I thought I was the only old bloke doing this (approaching mid 40s).... Just recently (week ago) picked up a new United Prime Mover, 21.5" TT, I am 6'5" and 18 stone (rapidly reducing) so needed something pretty substantial! Loving it, been out every night so far, only for 30min or so as its such hard work.... Haven't been on a bike for 25years....

Last night finally got my bunny hop back, hitting 150-200mm so pretty happy, next plan is to get onto the grind box at the local park, thinking another 3-4 weeks before I can get 300mm or so reliably!

I have been toying with this idea for years, but always felt a bit uncomfortable in BMX type shops, however I can not recommend Ride in Coventry enough, great guys (Jim the Skin) who really helped spec something sensible for me.

Used to own a Hutch Pro Racer back in the 80s, it was Melanie Vauvelles old race bike I believe, unfortunately my dad sold it 15 years ago for £40!!!! Worth £1000 now!!!!!

Dupe....

|

6/22/2017 11:58 AM

Cool to see some more people on this thread. As mentioned above there are a couple of good Facebook group s for older riders who actually ride. Ride on group has events though the year too.

|

6/23/2017 1:43 PM

LiamTG wrote:

Hi all, I've just bought my first bmx since I was 13! Nearly 45yrs old now and thought ' why not '.

I've been out on it a ...more

Liam,
Good to hear i am not the only one having a mid life crisis mate, im picking a haro up tomorrow and im 44......daft i know but something in me wants to relive my old Birmingham Wheels days.
Fair play to you ......enjoy.

Rich

|

6/23/2017 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2017 1:54 PM

LiamTG wrote:

Liam,
Good to hear i am not the only one having a mid life crisis mate, im picking a haro up tomorrow and im 44......daft i know but something in me wants to relive my old Birmingham Wheels days.
Fair play to you ......enjoy.....im Birmingham too.

Rich

|

6/23/2017 2:06 PM

LiamTG wrote:

Richie121 wrote:

Liam,
Good to hear i am not the only one having a mid life crisis mate, im picking a haro up tomorrow and im 44......daft i ...more

There's a cycle shop in Longbridge. feckin great. The boy that runs it used to be on the Birmingham wheels team. come down mate

|

6/23/2017 2:11 PM

Will do mate, only just getting back into it so early days....counting the hours before i end up in the QE !.....got my lad bike off ebay, had a go, can still do bunny hops and sort of wheelie so thought i would get one myself.
Will definately pop down though, cheers.
Where abouts is it ?

|

6/23/2017 2:24 PM

Literally just opposite the train station. The serve great coffee too lol

|

6/23/2017 2:29 PM

Nice one, i will definately pay a visit.

|

6/24/2017 11:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2017 11:26 AM

Well.....got my bmx today and went out with the kids. No broken bones and i can still bunny hop the curb.....amazing what you remember after 29 years off a bike......happy days.

|

7/1/2017 1:42 AM

Hi everyone, I've finally bit the bullet and ordered my 1st bmx since I was 10, I'm 40 now. having thought about it for a while seeing this thread and realising I wasn't the only one has inspired me. Looking forward to learning some new tricks and relearning some old ones. I'm from derby not far from the bmx track.

|

12/29/2017 8:49 AM

Never rode bmx, I was a downhiller growing up. Built a custom bmx for the first time at 35 and today was my first attempt on a skate park. Can’t drop in, can’t so anything really. Had a great time though....until I hit some wet leaves and stacked it hard. Gonna hang in there an learn some skills.

I’m in Bournemouth, anyone around this area?

|

If you build it, they will come

12/29/2017 9:00 AM

His LS1982. Big scene in Bournemouth. Not the weather for outside riding today though as you found out, wet surface and skateparks don't mix. The indoor skatepark in Poole has a silver surfers session on Sundays. Worth checking out when you feel comfortable.

|

12/29/2017 9:49 AM

Prevail! I know it well but didn’t know they had specific sessions for us older gents. I’m coming down. Great way to learn some skills....in the dry.

Thanks my man!

|

If you build it, they will come