'07 FSA's Don't Really Make The Cut...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2016 11:29 PM

My early 2007 FSA Cranks my friend gave me, are not broken, but in terms of chain alignment, to crank arm angle, to clearing over a trendy tech street frame, might not be very well suiting for my situation

My Frame is a BSD Soulja (New and up to date)
My Cranks are FSA Nasty Boy v2's with a date stamp of 02/07
My Sprocket is a 28 tooth Coalition 7 Series v2

new frame, old drivetrain parts, eh, not very good.

Basically, my chain alignment is/was super screwed up, I got it to function more directly tonight.
I took a spindle washer from the backside of my sprocket, sandwiched that in between my non adapter side and backside spindle boss/face of my crank arm, as well as putting a washer of the same thickness, up top between my sprocket and sprocket bolt boss. Basically to have the sprocket sit closer in to my frame, while my cranks keep the same spot they were in before when my alignment was all tarded out at the start.

Anyway, I am wanting to know of any exp's with these cranks for clearance/angle on wider frames
-BSD Substance
-Federal Vice
-Odyssey Thunderbolts
-Shadow Killer
-Colony 22's (Maybe)

I wish to keep my bike in the realm of BSD / ODSY / FEDERAL / & / SHADOW.... my bike has just been a brand mix up for a while and I just like keeping things coordinated because I just feel like things function more fluently that way.

Basically whichever one of those cranks are built to angle out the furthest, I'd prefer, because I normally like slamming my sprocket as close as I can because the more aligned my chain is the better.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

6/13/2016 1:27 AM

James_Letten17 wrote:

My early 2007 FSA Cranks my friend gave me, are not broken, but in terms of chain alignment, to crank arm angle, to clearing over a trendy tech street frame, might not be very well suiting for my situation

Basically, my chain alignment is/was super screwed up, I got it to function more directly tonight.
I took a spindle washer from the backside of my sprocket, sandwiched that in between my non adapter side and backside spindle boss/face of my crank arm, as well as putting a washer of the same thickness, up top between my sprocket and sprocket bolt boss. Basically to have the sprocket sit closer in to my frame, while my cranks keep the same spot they were in before when my alignment was all tarded out at the start.

Anyway, I am wanting to know of any exp's with these cranks for clearance/angle on wider frames
-BSD Substance
-Federal Vice
-Odyssey Thunderbolts
-Shadow Killer
-Colony 22's (Maybe)

I wish to keep my bike in the realm of BSD / ODSY / FEDERAL / & / SHADOW.... my bike has just been a brand mix up for a while and I just like keeping things coordinated because I just feel like things function more fluently that way.

Basically whichever one of those cranks are built to angle out the furthest, I'd prefer, because I normally like slamming my sprocket as close as I can because the more aligned my chain is the better.

Probably looks like shit lol I remember so kid busted his cranks on his old United complete that was never maintained and had a fucking collection of washers on his spindle that did NOT need to be there , his crank was like hanging off the spindle haha , this thread makes me think of that .

In terms of Frame / Crank clearance , all new ones will be fine ... all are angled slightly as far as I know because you kinda have too ...people are gonna say Thunderbolts but in terms of clearance I'm pretty sure Shadow is pretty good because I'be been talking to Jon / Topsey and he's running them on like 4 different frames and they've given him no issues ( S&M , BSD , now a Stranger ) . Personally I'm planning on getting 165mm BSD cranks because they look simple and solid , plus BSD is sick as fuck so I'd trust them too.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/13/2016 8:14 AM

James_Letten17 wrote:

-BSD Substance
-Federal Vice
-Odyssey Thunderbolts
-Shadow Killer
-Colony 22's (Maybe)

I am going to say thunderbolts because of their strength and lifetime warranty. It is no joke, I emailed them about my worn out 5 year old cranks and they quickly sent me new ones. They clear my brand new sunday soundwave frame no problem with only the bb dust cover thing and no spacers. On my frame this lines up the sprocket perfectly. Other than these I would look into the BSD because they look sweet and really strong. My personal preference is to avoid the shadow ones because they are more concerned with making pretty colours as opposed to strong parts. Also, where I live shadow parts cost up to double the price of other companies parts just because of their trendiness. My lbs also said that out of all the parts to come back through the shop, over 90% of them are shadow or subrosa parts. Everybody rides differently so you may have no problems while others have had some. At the end of the buy what you like but just know if you want your cranks to last forever, buy the thunderbolts.

|

6/13/2016 11:48 AM

Thunderbolts are the tits

|

6/13/2016 2:18 PM

Eclat Maverick cranks are the nicest I've seen

|

6/13/2016 4:08 PM

Thunderbolts are nice but the wedge can be very annoying. So easy to line up and the built in sprocket adapter thing is cool too.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.