1-1/8 a headset and fork compatibility?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/4/2011 4:10 AM

So my bmx haves 1-1/8" Ahead headset and i want to buy new fork. But most of the forks are only compatible with integrated headsets. Does this mean that i should look for some fork that is 1-1/8 compatible, and if a buy 1-1/8 fork can i use it in future on frame with integrated headset?
i dont understand this headset and fork thing can someone please explain it to me?
Thanks

|

11/4/2011 7:04 AM

i believe that the fit blades dont have a headset race on them so you can run them with your headset then once you get a integrated you could put a race on them

|

11/4/2011 7:25 AM

Nonintegrated race forks will be compatible with integrated headsets.
Integrated race forks are not compatible with most "standard" headsets. If you were to buy a Solid or Chris King headset you could make it work, but it's kind of an expensive solution.
Blades won;t work either according to some, even though they use a press on race
Your best bet is to buy some older odyssey forks without integrated race...or get some S&M race XLt forks if you want new and don't ride pegs. Then you don't have to worry about it

Also, 1 1/8 is the standard now in BMX. All currently available forks post 1995-ish are 1 1/8, so pretty much all of them will work in theory

|

11/4/2011 8:25 AM

Show me anything LEGIT let alone anything that says you can use a KK headset with a int race.

|

11/4/2011 10:57 AM

bloghogs wrote:

Show me anything LEGIT let alone anything that says you can use a KK headset with a int race.

The only thing i can say is I do it that way and have had zero issues
The bottom bearing of a Chris King headset where the fork race rests is 45 deg. The integrated race on forks is also 45 deg. I had planned on having a lower race machined to accomodate the integrated race on my forks at a rather well known BMX shop, and he told me it is unneccesary.
They mate perfectly and the only issue I ran into was dirt from the track getting on the bearing seal. that was easily solved with a Neoprene Lizard Skins dust cover.
If I were more motivated, I would take pics, but I'm not
I'm sure you will have some reason it doesn't work, but I can say from personal experience that it does

|

11/4/2011 11:00 AM

bloghogs wrote:

genesis wrote:

The only thing i can say is I do it that way and have had zero issues
The bottom bearing of a Chris King headset where the fork race rests is 45 deg. The integrated race on forks is also 45 deg. I had planned on having a lower race machined to accomodate the integrated race on my forks at a rather well known BMX shop, and he told me it is unneccesary.
They mate perfectly and the only issue I ran into was dirt from the track getting on the bearing seal. that was easily solved with a Neoprene Lizard Skins dust cover.
If I were more motivated, I would take pics, but I'm not
I'm sure you will have some reason it doesn't work, but I can say from personal experience that it does

Tell him whats up mike!

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

11/4/2011 11:07 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Tell him whats up mike!

I've been questioned on this many times, even the Expert level guys at the track I ride during winter don't believe me until I show them. But it does work. I use a similar solution with Solid headsets as well and have no problems

|

11/4/2011 3:29 PM

A email I recieved from King today.Dan's sent me a "call us" email and after talking to the head mechanic over at performance.They all agreed that while it may fit,it's not a good idea to do it.If it was a good idea,I would think King would be telling everyone it works and selling even more headsets.
|

11/4/2011 4:48 PM

bloghogs wrote:

A email I recieved from King today.Dan's sent me a "call us" email and after talking to the head mechanic over at performance.They all agreed that while it may fit,it's not a good idea to do it.If it was a good idea,I would think King would be telling everyone it works and selling even more headsets.

Not to continue this argument any further than it needs to be, but in any argument regarding anything about Integrated headsets, Chris King cannot be listened to. They have been trying to convince everyone in the industry that integrated headsets are no good. And they are not able to market them in an "off label" use like using them with integrated race forks, becuase that would be giving in to the progression of equipment.
I do believe that Chris King makes excellent parts, but they have a vested interest in trying to keep people away from integrated headsets. There is no money in it for them if people are riding integrated headsets. They can't sell a $100 headset with the same bearings as a $24 headset.
I am very open to continuing this conversation, but would like to hear from someone in the industry that doesn't have a monetary incentive for saying one or the other.
I will break my bikes down tomorrow and take some detailed photos showing why it appears it works.
I would be curious to see what companies like FSA have to say on the matter

|

11/5/2011 2:38 AM

I was hoping to buy fork that i can use with -A headset and integrated headset so later to buy a new frame and use the same fork ... But im going to buy fork and frame at same time when i have enough money ! Thanks for the help

|