1/4"

Related:
Create New Tag

5/2/2018 1:13 PM

Is there really a huge difference between 20.75 and 21" top tube lengths? Just wondering because there are a couple of decent used bikes that size and I'm getting pretty frustrated looking for a 21" used bike. Nobody wants to bother measuring or figuring out what they have. I'll probably just wait until I find something that's 21 but a couple of these bikes are tempting.

|

5/2/2018 1:19 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Is there really a huge difference between 20.75 and 21" top tube lengths? Just wondering because there are a couple of decent used bikes that size and I'm getting pretty frustrated looking for a 21" used bike. Nobody wants to bother measuring or figuring out what they have. I'll probably just wait until I find something that's 21 but a couple of these bikes are tempting.

I feel it. I wouldnt say it's the difference between not being able to ride it and being able to ride it though.

|

5/2/2018 1:31 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

depending on your height, it probably wont make much of a difference. Im 6'4 and went from a 21.25 frame with a 50mm reach stem to a 21tt with 53mm reach stem and all worked out fine . Difference was slightly noticeable but made combo grinds much easier. Going back to 21.25tt even with a 48mm reach stem feels to long now so , its all preference. If you see something ya like in 20.75 Im sure it'll work out

|

5/2/2018 1:51 PM

Yeah, I had a 20.5 the last time I owned a 20" bike and I could ride that(that was about 2001 though). It felt a little small so I put a long stem on it and it felt better. I sort of want to wait and sort of don't. The tax return is burning a hole in my pocket.

|

5/2/2018 1:52 PM

I'm 6'2". I probably should've mention that.

|

5/2/2018 2:04 PM

Personally, I'd hold out for a 21". But I prefer frames on the longer side. I'm 6' and anything shorter than 21" feels like a little kids bike to me.
But, you might be alright on a 20.75, and if you're buying used, if it feels too short you could always sell it on and not lose money, or swap for a 21

|

5/2/2018 2:13 PM

Went from a 20.8 to a 21.25 and it's a world of difference. A proper fitting bike is key in my opinion. I'm 6'1"

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/2/2018 9:25 PM

I definitely felt it, but its not drastic. I went from a 21” to a 20.75” (on the same frame also), and it actually feels more comfortable for me to ride.

The 21” actually feels more like a dirt/trails bike and the 20.75” feels like a street/all rounder frame. Although I did set them up so they’d both feel almost the same. My 20.75” has a 53mm stem and my 21” has a 45mm stem. Although the wheel is slammed on the 20.75” and has room on the 21” (30x9 and 28x9 gearing, no half links), so hopping and manualing definitely feel different.

Although Im more comfortable doing pull up bars on the 21” than the 20.75. Probably has more to do with the stem though although its likely that its a total placebo effect.

|

5/3/2018 6:17 AM

I rode a 21” and felt the bit of length to feel good , but I went back to a 20.75 and it just feels better overall . You still got room but it’s just more responsive and you feel more apart of the bike then “riding” it . I’m a bit shorter at 5’10 but ya I think shorter frame and taller bars is the best set up

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/3/2018 8:15 AM

According to my gf, a 1/4” is the difference between a good or an uncomfortable ride

|

If you build it, they will come

5/3/2018 2:02 PM

I went from 21.15 to a 20.75 and it made a little difference for about 3 days and then I didn't notice. It wasn't that drastic but I caught my thigh on some x ups and barspins. I went to a 21 with a shorter 48mm stem and all was right in the world. I don't think it's anything you'll notice after a week or be able to compensate for with a different part(stem,spacers,even seat angle)

|

@coupd_tat

5/3/2018 3:22 PM

LS1982 wrote:

According to my gf, a 1/4” is the difference between a good or an uncomfortable ride

LOL.

|

5/3/2018 3:28 PM

just got a 21.25 today, going to find out this weekend. gotta clear coat the frame first

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

5/4/2018 8:05 AM

So I found a brand new Tallboy frame for 250.00 CAD plus shipping. Very tempting, they cost 650 bucksish new here. The guy bought it when Transition was closing and hasn't set it up. I could grab it and one of the used, unknown, too small completes the come up here for 150 and use it for parts until I can afford the parts I want. I gotta find out how much shipping is going to be. Hopefully not too much.

|

5/4/2018 8:07 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

So I found a brand new Tallboy frame for 250.00 CAD plus shipping. Very tempting, they cost 650 bucksish new here. The guy bought it when Transition was closing and hasn't set it up. I could grab it and one of the used, unknown, too small completes the come up here for 150 and use it for parts until I can afford the parts I want. I gotta find out how much shipping is going to be. Hopefully not too much.

Tell the seller to check with bikeflights.com

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/4/2018 10:26 AM

Chippin in.

I'm 6,2 feet high, and went from a 21 to a 21.25. Huge difference-everything was so much better.

Wait for a longer frame. You won't regret it.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/4/2018 11:12 AM

I’d say forsure , I notice with my knees getting caught up on turndowns and x ups , and flips and spins can come around way quicker with a shorter bike then a longer one , just went from 21.25 to 20.8 and I’ve been over rotating flips and eating shit lately

|

5/4/2018 11:55 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I'm 6'2". I probably should've mention that.

I am also and I wouldn't ride under 21. I prefer atleast 21.25 but i ride a 21 4

|

5/4/2018 12:28 PM

I think I found a 21" Premium. I can't do the Tallboy. Just not going to work out with shipping and then getting parts. I'm going to go check it out tonight hopefully. Just waiting for the guy to get back to me.

|

5/5/2018 3:51 PM

Too bad no one makes an adjustable bike! That would be awesome if you could go to the bike shop, crank a few nuts n bolts and feel the difference in geometries.

you can definitely feel the difference but theirs so many more factors. My 21" bikes feel smaller than some old 20.75s for example.

|

In midschool bike rides you.

5/5/2018 4:09 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I feel it. I wouldnt say it's the difference between not being able to ride it and being able to ride it though.

I feel it, even a 20.75 and a 20.85 you can tell. True I have been riding over 30 years but still.

The major thing is the rear end length. As you go up in length the rear tends to get a little longer. Many companies are trying to not do it, but alot still do. And doing a manual on say a 13.3 rear end vs a 13.7 or 14 is different. Now if you have a 13 rear and go to a 13.3 it is not going to be very long maybe a few hours before you have the balance point down. Going from a 13 to a 14 takes a little longer for most. So pay attention to what you have and what you want. The closer the rear ends are the easier to switch. In other words copy your current geo as close as you can

|

5/5/2018 7:17 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

I feel it, even a 20.75 and a 20.85 you can tell. True I have been riding over 30 years but still.

The major thing is the rear end length. As you go up in length the rear tends to get a little longer. Many companies are trying to not do it, but alot still do. And doing a manual on say a 13.3 rear end vs a 13.7 or 14 is different. Now if you have a 13 rear and go to a 13.3 it is not going to be very long maybe a few hours before you have the balance point down. Going from a 13 to a 14 takes a little longer for most. So pay attention to what you have and what you want. The closer the rear ends are the easier to switch. In other words copy your current geo as close as you can

It'll be tough to match the geo. I ride a 24 right now. It made me want to get a 20 to ride the park and maybe a little light street. I take my bike to park now but the park is a bit tight and I think a 20" bike would be more fun. I'm going to go take a look at one tomorrow and see if I like how it feels. I have a 14.5 rear end right now and I think I'd be ok with something shorter than that, not too short but I'd like to try something shorter.

|

5/5/2018 10:01 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

It'll be tough to match the geo. I ride a 24 right now. It made me want to get a 20 to ride the park and maybe a little light street. I take my bike to park now but the park is a bit tight and I think a 20" bike would be more fun. I'm going to go take a look at one tomorrow and see if I like how it feels. I have a 14.5 rear end right now and I think I'd be ok with something shorter than that, not too short but I'd like to try something shorter.

Yes that is going to be very hard to match. You are in a situation where you take a tape measure and go to a few shops (hopefully you have atleast 1 around). Sit on some bikes and see what feels good and then measure it. If they are cool they will let you ride in the parking lot. You can hop a few times and see how easy or hard the front end is to get up too. Then just order a frame that is similar to what you found comfortable

|

5/6/2018 4:35 AM

The rectangle made by your torso top tube arms and bars becomes more powerful the larger it is...so you want the longest frame and the highest bars. And most importantly the lengthiest torso. I’m 6 2 on a 21.5 with 9.5 bars and boy howdy if I woke up 6 6 on a 22.5 all chrome setup with elevenz I’d be better all around. I also would be an ex NBA player who parlayed a failed basketball career into some kind of overpaid hosting thing, instead of doing the community college/ underpaid unskilled work thing and using bmx as a momentary escape from the boredom tedium and ultimately uncontrollable tragedies of this existence. I also would probably be barely aware if at all of bmx and would ride a really long longboard unsteadily pushing mongo in a pair of fitted capris but only occasionally for the tmz shotz.

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

5/6/2018 4:35 AM

As for nobody bothering to measure what they have.... then they probably wont bother sending it out ASAP.

|

5/6/2018 9:11 AM

thairishguy wrote:

As for nobody bothering to measure what they have.... then they probably wont bother sending it out ASAP.

These are local FB marketplace listings. Most of the bikes I've found on Pinkbike that interest me don't offer shipping.

|

5/6/2018 7:52 PM

thairishguy wrote:

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

These are local FB marketplace listings. Most of the bikes I've found on Pinkbike that interest me don't offer shipping.

True, when it comes to local listings, its usually parting out. I tend to only buy from people who can properly list the parts that they are selling. Like a month ago I wanted a new front wheel for a bike that I left at my moms house. Most people could only list either the hub or rim (in part because theyre too lazy or they just dont know and cant read english), but the guy I brought from, he listed the hub, the rim, THE SPOKES, the hubguard material (chromoly), the rim tape, and even bothered to mention that he doesnt have washers since he had pegs, but only rode the bike twice at a park (the hubguard was clean). When I got the wheel it was perfect and obviously barely ridden.

|

5/7/2018 8:04 AM

So I was supposed to go look at a bike yesterday but the dude never got back to me. This is ridiculous.

|