10" bars on a 19" frame?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/7/2018 2:08 PM

I need help. I found some 10" bars that I want because my 9" bars don't feel right so I thought i could try something bigger. Im 5'9ft and my back hurts with my current bars and my frame is a 19.75" hangover. I run my bars so they're at a 90° to the ground. My frame size feels quite comfortable to me tbh. So im not sure if its a frame problem that I need to solve or if its that I need bigger bars. But would 10" feel ridiculous on a 19.75 frame?

|

5/7/2018 2:09 PM

yes

|

Hmmm

5/7/2018 2:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2018 2:15 PM

Your current bars on a 20.5"-20.75" frame would be ideal.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/7/2018 2:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2018 2:26 PM

im 6'4 and i ride 21.25 (75.75ht) with 35mm rise / 54mm reach stem, 164mm steerer tube on my fork with 9" rise bars

Photo

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

5/7/2018 2:29 PM

If you're comfortable and you dig it, it's not ridiculous.

|

5/7/2018 2:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2018 2:47 PM

Going to 10 inch bars could work for you.

You might feel "comfortable" on the current set up- but that's because you're used to it. Your body, however, morphologically speaking, might not be adapted to the correct size. Hence the pain.

If it hurts-then there is something wrong with your posture.

I added half an inch to both my frame and my bars. I thought I was going to end up with a mule. And nope- it was fucking great- and best of all- no back pain!

Invest in a new bar first, see if it changes anything, if not, save up for a bigger frame next time.

A longer stem might help too- but you're going the change in feel is a bit more radical.

Good luck.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/7/2018 2:47 PM

Just ride a scooter.

Jk, but its gonna feel pretty ridiculous. You do you though

|

5/7/2018 2:58 PM

if your back hurts, doing stretches will help more than any size bar

|

It’s all bmx

5/7/2018 3:08 PM

I'm sure some flatlanders have such a setup.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

5/7/2018 3:14 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

if your back hurts, doing stretches will help more than any size bar

No. There needs to be balance; the golden solution doesn't exist.

Correctly sized bike+back muscle+stretches+warmups=bliss.

|

5/7/2018 4:24 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

I'm sure some flatlanders have such a setup.

Buddy of mine runs a 19” frame, topload, and S&M 11” bars for his flat setup.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/7/2018 11:38 PM

Skylight wrote:

You might feel "comfortable" on the current set up- but that's because you're used ...more

Thank you so much. You were probably the most helpful lol.
What 10" bars would you recommend though? Because I do drops and stuff sometimes and I land quite hard what do you think would be strong and tall enough?
To be honest i really want bars in the 9.5"-10" range

|

5/8/2018 12:08 AM

Photo
|

5/8/2018 1:51 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Your current bars on a 20.5"-20.75" frame would be ideal.

I used to have a 20.75 frame and it felt great but I don't like that size of frame, it feels too long.
So if anything, i might go up to 20.4 or something

|

5/8/2018 4:40 AM

If you're tall enough to need 10" bars, you're tall enough to need a longer frame.
Personal preference comes into it, but I'm pretty sure you're not a t rex.....
I'm 6' tall, old, have been riding bikes a very long time, and use 8.8" bars with a frontload, and my back never hurts.
You need to strengthen your back muscles from riding (as well as all the other muscles used), not buy bigger bars to compensate. With bigger bars on that frame you'll struggle to hop much higher than a curb as your bars will be hitting your chest when your front wheel is 2" from the ground

|

5/8/2018 6:31 AM

Mish2353 wrote:

What 10" bars would you recommend though? Because I do drops and ...more

2 piece bars and 4 piece bars are more or less the same strength: your preference for looks is the one that determines which one you'll get.

However, you might be better off with 2 pieces bars. Multi-butted bars (13 or 14 butted) are lighter and have more flex (perfect for drops- you want the bar to flex and absorb energy rather than be stiff like 4pcs that re-transmit the shock waves up the body). Heat-treated bars are also a must.

As for the curves- it's more or less negligible. Wider curves result in less stress for the bars. But as I said: negligible.

You might like BSD Raider bars. If not- there's the Shadow Vultus. Or the S&M Perfect. Those are classics. Keep in mind that stuff is made in the same place and there's just the brand name that changes. As long as it's heat-treated and butted (and you dig the looks), go for em.

Go for 10 inch bars too- you can take the spacers out if they happen to be too big- and you can't do this the other way around.

As for the muscle building stuff in this discussion- I agree that it is important- but if it's muscle, then the pain should go away in a few weeks as they build up.

If the pain is still there- it's from the discs and nerves. There's no golden solution: the pain less BMX is possible, you just need to find a balance in tweaking riding position, muscle building, stretches, etc.

You can change the parts on the bike, you can't change the body you have. If you disagree, ride on and be cool dudes- I'll ride by your electric chair when we're both 80.

|

5/8/2018 6:54 AM

Skylight wrote:

You might feel "comfortable" on the current set up- but that's because you're used ...more

Mish2353 wrote:

What 10" bars would you recommend though? Because I do drops and ...more

Skylight wrote:

2 piece bars and 4 piece bars are more or less the same strength: your preference for looks is the one that determines which ...more

get the S&M theyre made in the USA by people who care

|

Hmmm

5/8/2018 6:56 AM

Edman123 wrote:

get the S&M theyre made in the USA by people who care

USA! USA! USA!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/8/2018 2:10 PM

The perfect 10's and fubars are heavy as shit! Lol

|

5/13/2018 3:34 AM

I got the BSD raider bars and they're perfect! It makes everything so much easier and i have more control on my bike and my bunny hops are higher than 2" off the ground and the bars don't hit my chest

|

5/13/2018 4:05 AM

Mish2353 wrote:

I got the BSD raider bars and they're perfect! It makes everything so much easier and i have more control on my bike and my ...more

Nice!

I really did consider the Raiders (they are nice bars) but then went with 9.5 inchers instead. I'm keeping my upgrades incremental. For the moment, I'm really happy on my 21.25 and 9.5 set up.

How's the back pain? You might need a few weeks on it for the residue stress to fade.

Good riding. Care to post a pic?

|

5/13/2018 2:21 PM

Mish2353 wrote:

I got the BSD raider bars and they're perfect! It makes everything so much easier and i have more control on my bike and my ...more

Skylight wrote:

Nice!

I really did consider the Raiders (they are nice bars) but then went with 9.5 inchers instead. I'm keeping my upgrades ...more

Actually the back pain stopped quite fast. Like i got these bars 3 days ago and now I feel really good overall. I think i might go for a bigger frame some time in the future though. I was about to post a bike check anyway but here's a photo Photo

|

5/13/2018 2:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2018 2:31 PM

Mish2353 wrote:

Higher than 2 inches! Wow! You have hella hops!w00t

lolol, this is 2 feet, 2'. This is 2 inches, 2"

laughinglaughing

And your bike looks really good too!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/13/2018 2:38 PM

Mish2353 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Higher than 2 inches! Wow! You have hella hops!w00t

lolol, this is 2 feet, 2'. This is 2 inches, 2"

laughinglaughing

And your bike looks ...more

I meant 2 inches because this dude called grumpy Steve replied to me saying that i wont be able to hop higher than 2 inches off the ground without hitting my chest laughing so that was directed at him lmao, my hops aren't too bad tbh.
But thank you! My bike triggers my friend which i find quite funny but im glad that other people like it tootongue

|