10's vs.....

Related:
Create New Tag

10/10/2017 7:13 PM

...7's! OMG! Btw, the 10's are awesome! Everything I wanted/needed (I'm tall(er) with long arms). Totally changed the bike (I might throw them on the shovelhead)!Photo

|

10/10/2017 7:31 PM

How tall are you?

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

10/10/2017 7:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 7:34 AM

Anthony Loves Subrosa wrote:

How tall are you?

6'1". Not incredibly talk but I think I'm just used to the extra leverage (I rode a lot in the 80's when bikes were a lot different).

|

10/10/2017 8:50 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

6'1". Not incredibly talk but I think I'm just used to the extra leverage (I rode a lot in the 80's when bikes were a lot different).

Yeah Im 6'1" as well and I ride S&M FuBars with 10" rise and a top load... I think I'm about to get some Fit Dugan bars in 9.25" soon though not becasue I don't like 10" it's just I really wanted Dugan bars becasue it's Tom Dugan lol and when you compare 9.25" to 10" it's pretty much nothing...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/10/2017 10:51 PM

I'm 6' and ride 8.5 bars and a frontload

|

10/10/2017 11:15 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

6'3' and I ride 8.75 w a topload 50 mm

|

10/11/2017 4:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2017 4:57 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

BcBMX80 wrote:

6'3' and I ride 8.75 w a topload 50 mm

Yeah, I had to replace the 7's anyway & wanted to see what 10's would be like so it was an easy move. Plus, I had a friend who wanted tome 8.75's & I had some 8.85's laying around so we traded. Really a drastic change from the 7's. I think I like them so much because when I rode seriously, back in the day, bike geo was so different than today's bikes. I think the 10's help to make these modern geo's feel more like the old school bikes I'm used to. When the newer bike geos were filtering into the shops years ago (especially when the small rise bars were attached to them), I'd build them & test them a little before putting them on the floor. & I always thought I was "losing my touch" because I was riding mountain bikes & had gotten away from BMX.

|

10/11/2017 6:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2017 6:42 PM

Can we see the whole bike with the new bars?

Eastern throttle bars?

|

10/11/2017 7:14 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Eastern throttle bars?

Yeah... Eastern bars! I can't get away from that company! Lol. My buddy bought them & then wanted to go smaller. Anyway... Pardon the stupid seat. Still working that out at the moment.

Photo

Photo

Still have to get another gyro top cable. Didn't think that thru before making the trade. Good thing it's not my main bike.

|

10/11/2017 7:32 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Eastern throttle bars?

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah... Eastern bars! I can't get away from that company! Lol. My buddy bought them & then wanted to go smaller. Anyway... Pardon the stupid seat. Still working that out at the moment.

Photo

Photo

Still have to get another gyro top cable. Didn't think that thru before making the trade. Good thing it's not my main bike.

Eastern is good shit! They back their products and make things right if things go wrong.

The bike looks a lot more modern with those taller bars! I bet they feel great! Did you mention the tt length and other geometry?

|

10/11/2017 7:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2017 7:41 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Eastern throttle bars?

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Photo

Photo

The headset is the older style correct? Loose ball or caged?

If they are you should look at getting that mechanik sti headset conversion! It works great and its only like 20 bucks for the cups, bearings, spacers, dustcap, lower bearing race and compression ring! The cups are made of chromoly and the bearings and other peices are great quality!

https://www.danscomp.com/products/301014/Mechanik_STI_Sealed_Headset.html

|

10/11/2017 7:48 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Eastern throttle bars?

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Photo

Photo

Bulletpup wrote:

If they are you should look at getting that mechanik sti headset conversion! It works great and its only like 20 bucks for the cups, bearings, spacers, dustcap, lower bearing race and compression ring! The cups are made of chromoly and the bearings and other peices are great quality!

That's a good question. I didn't even look at the headset. I'll have to take a look.

The TT length is 20.75. Not too bad. The bars definitely update the look & makes the bike rideable (I couldn't do shit with it with the stock 7's).

|

10/11/2017 7:49 PM

I also back 10" bars. Your setup's lookin' fresh!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

10/11/2017 7:52 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Photo

Photo

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's a good question. I didn't even look at the headset. I'll have to take a look.

The TT length is 20.75. Not too bad. The bars definitely update the look & makes the bike rideable (I couldn't do shit with it with the stock 7's).

Nice! I remember I felt the same when I first built that retro bike up with the original parts...

Heres the differencePhoto

|

10/11/2017 8:01 PM

Those bars don’t even serve beer or hot wings , there’s better out there for sure

|

10/11/2017 8:03 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Those bars don’t even serve beer or hot wings , there’s better out there for sure

Lol

|

10/11/2017 9:19 PM

Put on some 9.5s with a topload on a 21 inch tt rear at about 13.8 frame and did not like it, disrupted body-bike connection and I couldn't get comfortable with it...went back to my 9 rise I had been running and this time with a frontload so this was pretty low (im 6ft2) but it felt good and stable, locked in but sorta stuck to the ground, couldn't get my hops as high as I wanted from that position...so I threw everything back on my first frame (a 21.5tt mutiny comb v1) with rear at about 13.6 with a topload and the 9.5 bars...and it's the best feel ever...so much leverage and pop but at the same time very stable. My body positioning and weight distribution is just right with this setup.

People say setups don't matter and to an extent that is true because you can learn anything on anything but switching up the way your bike feels opens you up to new ways of moving and thinking with the bike that gives you a bigger and clearer picture on how to ride the way you do when you envision yourself shredding the way you want to.

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

10/12/2017 5:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 5:39 AM

ambisketcherous wrote:

Put on some 9.5s with a topload on a 21 inch tt rear at about 13.8 frame and did not like it, disrupted body-bike connection and I couldn't get comfortable with it...went back to my 9 rise I had been running and this time with a frontload so this was pretty low (im 6ft2) but it felt good and stable, locked in but sorta stuck to the ground, couldn't get my hops as high as I wanted from that position...so I threw everything back on my first frame (a 21.5tt mutiny comb v1) with rear at about 13.6 with a topload and the 9.5 bars...and it's the best feel ever...so much leverage and pop but at the same time very stable. My body positioning and weight distribution is just right with this setup.

People say setups don't matter and to an extent that is true because you can learn anything on anything but switching up the way your bike feels opens you up to new ways of moving and thinking with the bike that gives you a bigger and clearer picture on how to ride the way you do when you envision yourself shredding the way you want to.

You are right (& so are the other people), you can learn anything on anything. But if the bike isn't setup for YOU, the way you are most comfortable (not sitting & riding, but comfortable in a "this is the way everything feels right/ easiest for me, sort of way), you will be fighting to learn new tricks as you aren't learning in your comfort zone. It's like being 6'5" & learning to drive in a right hand drive car, in the states with the seat all the way forward in a Yugo. Not optimum.

It's TOTALLY worth it to fit yourself to a bike by changing parts. The problem is, 90% of the people out there don't have the means and/or desire to spend money to experiment until they get it right (which can get expensive).

|

10/12/2017 5:51 AM

Too many people concentrate on what's fashionable too. I get that some people prefer tall bars, but how many people have also bought them just because they're cool?
And so many frames suck right now. Really short chainstays because that's cool, but with clearance for massive tyres means you can't get a good chainline. And short chainstays with a steep headangle, and wide tyres that completely kill the responsiveness of the frame.
Street frames with a low bottom bracket? Again, that makes short chainstays/steep headangle pointless.

If you really think about geometry, and set up, some trails frames with narrower tyres would actually feel better for technical street.

|

10/12/2017 6:07 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Too many people concentrate on what's fashionable too. I get that some people prefer tall bars, but how many people have also bought them just because they're cool?
And so many frames suck right now. Really short chainstays because that's cool, but with clearance for massive tyres means you can't get a good chainline. And short chainstays with a steep headangle, and wide tyres that completely kill the responsiveness of the frame.
Street frames with a low bottom bracket? Again, that makes short chainstays/steep headangle pointless.

If you really think about geometry, and set up, some trails frames with narrower tyres would actually feel better for technical street.

I couldn't agree more. I remember, back in the day, I knew guys that would want whatever was raved about in the magazines that month. That's how I acquired my Mongoose Decade Pro. He had a perfectly good bike to ride (he was a complete noob) but he was reading my magazines & read a review of the Decade & I'm sure he thought "that HAS GOT to make riding/learning easier!", so he ordered it. I built it & when he couldn't instantly ride at our level with us, he basically gave up. So I bought it (at a great discount, of course).

& yeah, the trend thing is a bonus and a curse. While it may inspire great innovation, it can also (and often does, IMHO) hinder riding. When all the frames when to super short stays, it became near impossible to get a frame with longer stays for quite a while. Small bars was another one. All the bars were getting stupid small. If you wanted taller bars, you were either looking at old school stuff or learning to ride with something that just wasn't right for you.

|

10/12/2017 7:13 AM

Is it just me that feels that tall bars are too wide, the crossbar, and makes riding less responsive?

|

10/12/2017 7:18 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Is it just me that feels that tall bars are too wide, the crossbar, and makes riding less responsive?

I don't know about that. They are definitely wider. Partly (I'm sure) for looks, & the other is due to the physics of the build. Also, I am fairly certain companies spec their bars wider on purpose, knowing people often cut them down to their liking after purchase. More flexible that way.

|

10/12/2017 7:40 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Eastern is good shit! They back their products and make things right if things go wrong.

The bike looks a lot more modern with those taller bars! I bet they feel great! Did you mention the tt length and other geometry?

Sorry, didn't really follow through with the geo question earlier. Here's the rest:

Photo

|

10/12/2017 11:10 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I wouldn’t say short chain stays just recently became fashionable , short chain stays have been cool since the MacNeil John Heaton frame and that was over a decade ago

|

10/12/2017 12:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 12:58 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

I wouldn’t say short chain stays just recently became fashionable , short chain stays have been cool since the MacNeil John Heaton frame and that was over a decade ago

But they're getting a lot shorter over the past couple of years (sub 13", and 13.75 isn't really that short. The fit marv frame has a shorter chainstay and was only about a year newer). And stupid wide tyres have only been around for the past couple of years too.

|

10/12/2017 3:25 PM

You WILL get used to it, but there is a valid reason to mess with specs...look at road bikes. They legitimately can and do get within 1mm adjustment to aid the rider and get the most power out of the pedal stroke.

Makes sense to do similar things in BMX. Hard part is so much less is adjustable on a BMX-it's replace or nothing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura