14mm female axle are they strong?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2015 1:28 AM

is a 14mm female axle on a fedral v3 coaster just as strong as a male axle?

Thanks

|

1/28/2015 2:51 AM

From the 3 months I rode that hub, I could say "pretty much". 3 other kids rode it after me and when I got it back 4 months later, the only real signs of wear were a broken tooth on the driver and some need of grease. I'm pretty mellow, but one of the kids who borrowed it from me does huge flairs everywhere he goes and another is a left grinder (the hub is LHD). I haven't ridden a male axle in a few years, but a can say this particular female setup lasted me through my season of free coasting....and a few others', too. Only reason I switched to F/C was because I needed a hub after my Tree died and a friend had this one for cheap. So, not sure if it's just as strong, but I've personally seen this hub stand up to some hardcore, bitch-slapping abuse.

|

Check my bikecheck
Eat shit or die tryin', yo!

1/28/2015 3:14 AM

WaldoBMX wrote:

From the 3 months I rode that hub, I could say "pretty much". 3 other kids rode it after me and when I got it back 4 months ...more

ah thats good to hear then, i dont run pegs all the time anyway and im right pegs and getting a LHD anyway, cant do huge flairs so i shouldnt have a problem there, thanks for the help

|

1/28/2015 4:40 AM

No, its a 14mm male axle drilled and tapped for 10mm bolts, most likely with 14mm adapters. Its weaker, stick with male if you plan to grind.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

1/28/2015 5:47 AM

That hub in particular will not be good. When I bought mine, it came with hollow bolts. I didn't grind much but the guy I sold it to did and snapped the bolts in a week. Get Gsport bolts and you'll be fine.

|

1/28/2015 3:54 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

That hub in particular will not be good. When I bought mine, it came with hollow bolts. I didn't grind much but the guy I sold ...more

This. You CAN'T effectively use hollow 3/8s bolts to grind on. Front or rear, it isn't possible. I had a friend who literally exploded the bolts just from like a double peg. Solid ones are just fine.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/28/2015 11:01 PM

WaldoBMX wrote:

From the 3 months I rode that hub, I could say "pretty much". 3 other kids rode it after me and when I got it back 4 months ...more

Probably Wade who's been doing those fat flairs whistling

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/29/2015 12:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2015 12:21 AM

seanyatesy wrote:

ah thats good to hear then, i dont run pegs all the time anyway and im right pegs and getting a LHD anyway, cant do huge ...more

Yeah, I ride pegless about 99% of the time, too. What's said above is true. If you're a hardcore grinder, the 3/8" axle bolts are probably going to bend/break. I also found that I had to put an extra 14mm washer on before the 3/8" washer for the bolt because the centre axle stuck out past my dropout just enough that the bolt wouldn't tighten down. I hate grinding shit down unless I absolutely have to, so that was the easy fix. Ride on!

|

Check my bikecheck

1/29/2015 12:15 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Probably Wade who's been doing those fat flairs whistling

A dude from our little town, Chetwynd, named Josh Gunster. The kid's been riding for a year and shreds. Look him up on YouTube. Should be under Dilltruelove's channel. He's got a bunch of the local youngin's on there.

|

Check my bikecheck

1/29/2015 2:07 AM

solid male axles are always going to be stronger without a doubt.
female axles will hold up as long as they're solid and save a couple ounces.
any hollowed axle bolts are typically going to be weaker.
i would recommend any hub with male axles. too bad most front hubs nowadays are female axles.
its also a bitch to put pegs on female axles in my opinion lol

i rode a federal v2 coaster for two years with a solid male axle with no maintenance at all.
flips, ice picks, shit held up for me man and im an aggressive rider
im not sure about the v3 female axles tho i just know for a fact male axles are stronger. that should be common sense.

|

"Ride it like you stole it."

Refs: SuperstarDK, Gage191

1/29/2015 8:28 AM

Baphometh wrote:

solid male axles are always going to be stronger without a doubt.
female axles will hold up as long as they're solid and save ...more

you do know that a typical female front hub is stronger than the same but a male? the spindle of the female is thicker than a male axle in the middle, front hubs are true female. just saying because from what you put, you make it seem as if you think female axles are crap all round, when actually its just the shemale shit thats a bag of wank.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)