14mm female front hub

Related:
Create New Tag

9/20/2015 10:08 PM

Surprised no one made a post about this yet... Stranger & Primo are both coming out with 14mm female front hubs (Seen on BMX Union's coverage of Interbike)

And Primo is making a 14mm fork (At least I assume it's Primo since they didn't specify)

Soo 14mm front ends are making a comeback it seems.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Thoughts?

I personally like and dislike it at the same time... I like that they're making them because that's pretty much bomb proof for people who are rough as fuck, plus a good quality 14mm fork means people who preferred or are looking for one can now get a pair.

But I also dislike it because 3/8" female in the front is strong enough for most anyone unless you're doing roof drops to smiths daily or something, 14mm bolts are a bit much in the front, I think anyway.

But I won't lose sleep over something like that so really it's whatever haha

|

9/20/2015 11:38 PM

I think it's great I'm suprised bonedeth didn't do it first.

|

9/21/2015 12:51 AM

Who here has destroyed a chromoly female axle?

|

9/21/2015 1:20 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Who here has destroyed a chromoly female axle?

I've bent a bolt before, less than 2 years of abuse on it and it still worked perfectly fine though so I didn't even have to replace it.

And I bent the center axle to my BSD hub recently lolol.

Even still, I don't think I'd ever switch to 14mm female over that. Now maybe if I was bending bolts every couple of months, then yeah...

Also I was surprised Bonedeth didn't do this either. Then again in the Interbike video with them, Burns said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so it makes sense why he didn't.

|

9/21/2015 6:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2015 6:28 AM

Just found this picture of my old bike haha. FBM outsider-odyssey 48h front and rear along with 14mm axles on both-odyssey classic fork 14mm. Oh the good ol days, shit was bullet proof

Photo

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

9/21/2015 7:33 AM

There's only 36 spokes in your front wheel

|

9/21/2015 7:37 AM

Standard headset! WOOOO

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/21/2015 8:01 AM

I will buy one when kids start buying them and realizing they won't fit their forks so i get dealz.

I have 3/8 female rear atm doing fine on pegs.

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

9/21/2015 8:05 AM

^you crazy ratbastard! 3/8 in the rear????

|

9/21/2015 9:13 AM

Oddity wrote:

There's only 36 spokes in your front wheel

Lol you win, this was 8 years ago

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

9/21/2015 9:14 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Standard headset! WOOOO

Lol,I still don't miss them.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

9/21/2015 9:24 AM

Damn @ Ricked_em that doesn't even look like you. How old were you there?

As for 14mm front. My first bike had old 14mm front and back profile SS hubs and 14mm 41 thermal fork. It was heavy and I didn't really see a point in it (I am pegless 4 lyfe) and don't really see the point in bringing it back. It's kind of like 48h wheels. Is it stronger? yes but 36h is strong enough for almost every typical rider.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/21/2015 9:31 AM

48's are simply better, for 2oz in spokes and pretty much never having to touch the wheel again, i would go 48 again, might be very soon.

As for 14mm female, i still have a g-sport homer wheelset that i know will outlive me.

|

9/21/2015 9:37 AM

Four wrote:

Damn @ Ricked_em that doesn't even look like you. How old were you there?

As for 14mm front. My first bike had old 14mm ...more

Haha I was 18..............picture was taken march 2006 hahaha. Still babyface as shit. I just went through and damn bars were small then

Photo

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

9/21/2015 1:09 PM

I had a set of haro megahubs back in the day that were 14mm female. I snapped a front and rear bolt. It all breaks just the same if you get crusty with it.

I also ran pegs back then and we didn't wax anything up like folks do now. You had trouble sliding the ledge? You went faster. Ahhh, the good old days.

|

9/21/2015 4:40 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Haha I was 18..............picture was taken march 2006 hahaha. Still babyface as shit. I just went through and damn bars were ...more

Shit, I didn't even ride bmx until about another 6 months when this was taken haha

But yeah bars were tiny back then. Here's my beast Christmas day of 2007... Tiny bars with grips almost running down the bends (With grip donuts too!) along with 48 spoke wheels front & back, and 14mm axles front & back.

Photo

|

9/21/2015 8:48 PM

I think it's silly. I run 3/8s rear sometimes with four pegs even! It's not actually necessary to have 14mm female, although for those riders that fuck up a lot and are REALLY hard on stuff, it's awesome. I would suspect bigger dudes like this sort of thing a lot.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/21/2015 10:41 PM

It's a Robbie Morales hub as Rodeo Peanut would say

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/22/2015 12:58 AM

If my forks and hub shit the bed I'll go ahead and cop the Primo stuff. Love my Primo N4FL, adding a little extra strength couldn't hurt. Although I hope they use larger bearings and center axle in the 14mm Hubs, otherwise I think it would defeat the purpose.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/22/2015 6:07 AM

Pegless_215 wrote:

I had a set of haro megahubs back in the day that were 14mm female. I snapped a front and rear bolt. It all breaks just the ...more

Before hub guards really even existed!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/22/2015 8:55 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Before hub guards really even existed!

With those late 90's Haro dropouts you didn't need hub guards lol

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

9/24/2015 8:38 PM

I ran a 3/8 female rear hub once with pegs just to see how well it would hold up. The adapters were built into the hub, and I ended up snapping the non-drive side of the axle clean off. I always thought of 14mm female front hubs. Of course, it's gonna be heavy as hell, but eh, people should be able to calculate what they ride. I don't even care about my weight all that much, but I know that I have a pair of 2007 Sunday Night forks that are 14mm and they're like at least 5x heavier than my current Odyssey Race R-32 forks.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/24/2015 10:19 PM

This is good news for me. I have the Odyssey dirt forks and I would have to buy old stock if I ever wanted to replace the front hub. If I was buying a brand new forks and hub I would probably go 10mm cause I don't ride hard, but for the foreseeable future I'll be sticking with 14mm.

|

9/28/2015 9:49 PM

thry should bring back oddy hazard triple wall, 48 h, 14mm quad bearing

|