14mm front hubs?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/8/2014 10:09 PM

All thanks to weight weenies, BMX companies discontinued the manufacturing of 14mm front hubs. Do you guys know how indestructible 14mm male front hubs are? Not to mention that the whole new century is about female hubs, so 14mm female would be like bombproff. A whole 14mm female wheel setup with enclosed fork and frame dropouts would be so damn indestructible for grinding and all. Damned weight weenies.. Better yet, even 48H on those wheels too.. Just my opinion. We should start heading back down the road to stronger parts again but without so much weight. I'm sure companies know how to keep the weight down without turning parts to complete crap.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

2/8/2014 10:11 PM

I run 14mm front. Sweet shit.

|

2/8/2014 10:13 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

What kind of forks are you running? And I'm pretty sure that front hub and fork of yours is probably from like the mid 2000's?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

2/8/2014 10:18 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

What kind of forks are you running? And I'm pretty sure that front hub and fork of yours is probably from like the mid 2000's?

Fit. From 2005 I think. But today I managed to mess up the bearings. Looking for new ones now. Or female axle 3/8 and adapter.

|

2/8/2014 10:21 PM

Front wheels are pretty great how they are nowadays. I'm content with my Ezra front wheel. Stuff like Gsport and Eclat are helping the whole strength game.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/8/2014 10:22 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Front wheels are pretty great how they are nowadays. I'm content with my Ezra front wheel. Stuff like Gsport and Eclat are helping the whole strength game.

As long as 3/8 female bolts are being made, I don't feel 100% comfortable. Maybe like 99% but still never 100% ever.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

2/8/2014 10:26 PM

Well seeing as the racing industry has 20mm axles, they might pass over to freestyle.

|

2/8/2014 10:29 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Well seeing as the racing industry has 20mm axles, they might pass over to freestyle.

I've seen that and that's just overkill. 14mm is enough. 20mm would be heavy as hell if it isn't hollow, and hollow means trouble. But then again, it's 20mm and people like to be trendy so maybe.. The future holds a lot..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

2/8/2014 10:30 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I've seen that and that's just overkill. 14mm is enough. 20mm would be heavy as hell if it isn't hollow, and hollow means trouble. But then again, it's 20mm and people like to be trendy so maybe.. The future holds a lot..

I would run 20mm fo shizzle. Overkill my ass. This is awesome.

|

2/8/2014 10:41 PM

not necessarily because of weight, but because it was overbuilt for most riders. I grind a lot, and in the 2 & a half years I rode a my last female front hub, I only managed to bend one of the bolts slightly. 3/8" male axles in the front are enough for most people nowadays too, 14mm is just not really needed. Unless you're doing roof drops to grinds daily, a 3/8" female in the front is plenty.

|

2/8/2014 10:42 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

not necessarily because of weight, but because it was overbuilt for most riders. I grind a lot, and in the 2 & a half years I rode a my last female front hub, I only managed to bend one of the bolts slightly. 3/8" male axles in the front are enough for most people nowadays too, 14mm is just not really needed. Unless you're doing roof drops to grinds daily, a 3/8" female in the front is plenty.

So 20mm would be sean burns overkill?

|

2/8/2014 11:09 PM

Tree is producing a 20mm front hub and forks with 20mm dropouts. its actually supposed to be substantially lighter and stronger. Sam revealed that at interbike. They will be intended for freestyle use, not racing. And I believe it uses a shemale type system. 20mm aluminum center axle which hangs out of the hub by a few mm and slides into the 20mm drop outs, then a bolt (im guessing 14mm?) that threads into that and holds everything together.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/8/2014 11:19 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Tree is producing a 20mm front hub and forks with 20mm dropouts. its actually supposed to be substantially lighter and stronger. Sam revealed that at interbike. They will be intended for freestyle use, not racing. And I believe it uses a shemale type system. 20mm aluminum center axle which hangs out of the hub by a few mm and slides into the 20mm drop outs, then a bolt (im guessing 14mm?) that threads into that and holds everything together.

It's not shemale, it's called through-axle or something similar. There's a grove machined into the dropout and you tighten down a washer that holds it in place. Or something like that.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

2/8/2014 11:22 PM

MTB style stuff..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

2/9/2014 1:11 AM

I've got a profile mini ss 14 mm front hub I love it I also have a 1664 14 mm front hub I'm going to build up one day

|

2/9/2014 6:25 PM

Just bend my female bolts with no big deal... Im running 48h on the rear for sure

|

2/9/2014 6:31 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I bet companies start doing things like this. Bone death imo. Sean burns shit.

|

2/9/2014 6:44 PM

Profile still makes a 14mm front.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

2/9/2014 6:48 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Profile still makes a 14mm front.

What about forks?

|

2/9/2014 6:58 PM

Get old odyssey or s&m forks if you want your forks to have 14mm dropouts best part is you can get em cheap nowadays

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

2/9/2014 7:20 PM

running 14mm from hub gives me way more confidence grinding down rails

|

2/9/2014 8:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2014 8:11 PM

i think you can still get 14mm profile hubs

look for g-sport homer front hubs

you could get s&m to make you custom forks?

|

It’s all bmx

2/9/2014 8:30 PM

i have an odyssey hazard 14mm front on my metal!

|

brakeless maniac

2/9/2014 9:07 PM

Wasn't the homer some wierd bolt size or was that the monkey?

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

2/9/2014 11:16 PM

You can still get a 14mm S&M Pitchfork.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/10/2014 6:13 AM

Front hubs are fine as they are now.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/10/2014 9:17 AM

I still ride 14mm front and back. I've fucked up several 3/8 hubs in the past- one of them was on the front.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

2/10/2014 10:04 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

As long as 3/8 female bolts are being made, I don't feel 100% comfortable. Maybe like 99% but still never 100% ever.

I had a Gsport Monkey hub with 3/8ths front , I was doing toothpick stalls on stuff all the time without an issue. I am 100% confident. I was arounbd 230 lbs at that point.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/10/2014 10:15 AM

I like 3/8th better. I plan to get a 3/8ths rear hub someday.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/10/2014 10:51 AM

Shortdude wrote:

I still ride 14mm front and back. I've fucked up several 3/8 hubs in the past- one of them was on the front.

what hubs? cause its not the same high end hubs as low end hubs.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx