16" bmx for 9yr old

Related:
Create New Tag

7/11/2020 10:19 AM

Hey guys, my 9yr old is wanting to get into freestyle. I bought him a used haro 20" several months ago. It's a short tt so he can ride it comfortably but it's too big for him to handle for bunny hops. I never see any 16" bikes for sale locally so I'm looking into a new model. Does anyone have experience with 16" bikes? Reviews?

|

7/11/2020 10:45 AM

He's growing like a weed right now..

Stick with the 20", he'll be better off learning on it, instead of switching in probably less than a year.

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

7/11/2020 10:48 AM

My son went from a 16 to a small 20 at 9 years, and a 20.75 top tube at 10 1/2 years.

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

7/11/2020 10:54 AM

10-4. I found that Haro used for $80 just for him to cruise. He started watching bmx vids with me and wants to learn "tricks". Its an older F series Haro 20.3" frame. Its Heavy... 14mm axles front and rear, hi-ten frame. Might build up a lighter 20" for him then. I'd hate to spend $250-300 on a new 16 and him outgrow it in a year

|

7/11/2020 11:00 AM

SteelyDan66 wrote:

10-4. I found that Haro used for $80 just for him to cruise. He started watching bmx vids with me and wants to learn "tricks". ...more

Yeah, right now, it's his lack of experience keeping him back, not the bike so much. Keep em riding, he'll get there, and when he eventually gets a bigger 20, it'll be awesome to him. 16" inchers are way too small.. They make nice 18" too, but same thoughts..

|

7/11/2020 11:07 AM

Right on, thanks for the info dude

|

7/11/2020 11:30 AM

Little Ghost's first BMX was a $85 used 2012 Verde Eon, it weighs a ton for it's size. But being a 2012 it has short bars and a top load stem which was perfect for his size.

He just turned 10 in this picture Oct 2019.. 20" top tube..

Photo

Then he started to prefer riding my bike more less than a half year later 21 TT.. And it is MY bike lol, not his..

I built up a 2018 Kink Liberty 20.75 ($200 used) for him, and he's stoked!

Photo

I suggest getting him a couple/few badass parts for his current 20" knowing they will switch over to his next bike.. That will give him some stoke and make it all his! I upgraded the seat post, seat, grips, and tires on the Verde.. His Liberty now has the same seat and post. I'm leaving the other parts on the Verde which should allow me to get a good price on that bike when I sell it..

|

7/11/2020 11:32 AM

another perspective is.. buy the 16 inch bike.

sell to another parent in a few years when he outgrows it..

That's how it seems to work around here. The bikes just keep getting passed down to the next group of younger kids.. Always seems to be a parent looking for a bike that their kid can really get into..

Plus, then your kid has someone else to ride with.

and while you're at it. get a bike for yourself. smile

|

7/11/2020 11:36 AM

Started here..

Photo

|

7/11/2020 11:59 AM

pnj wrote:

another perspective is.. buy the 16 inch bike.

sell to another parent in a few years when he outgrows it..

That's how it ...more

I'm in rural louisiana. Theres no market for selling used bmx bikes or any bikes for that matter. Great idea though.. and I have a 2019 Subrosa. 1st new school bike. I have a few midschool bikes I built to cruise and be nostalgic lol. Wanted something I didnt mind bashing so I bought a Subrosa complete. My oldest son, 11, like to just ride around and hit a little kicker I built. He's more into his dirtbike. My 9 yr old son has really gotten into bmx. He's a little small for his age and that Haro is just too much bike and he get aggravated that he can't even bunny hop it. I'm 5'11" 180lbs and my bike is barely bigger than that haro.. I might search down a nice newschool with a 20" or shorter TT bike for him. The more I think about spending that much on a 16" he'll outgrow quickly I could invest in something he'll be able to ride for another 5 years

|

7/11/2020 8:11 PM

They have 18" bikes now, if you wanted to get something the right size.

|

7/12/2020 1:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2020 1:20 AM

From experience a 16 or 18 (depending on his size) could be a pretty solid move.
I started my 6yr old on a 16" last year, the idea being that he begins with the advantage of being able to manhandle the thing the way we do with our 20s and I think it paid off.
Now he's hopping up curbs, recently locked in manuals and is learning to fakie. Still on the same bike.
He can ride my 20 but can only cruise on it because he's not quite large or strong enough to exploit the sweet, sweet geo.

Photo
*16" Haro Shredder (Lightweight Aluminium)

But whatever way you go, man it's just great that he's into bmx and you're looking out for him.

|