160mm Cranks thoughts?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/11/2016 12:39 PM

So 165mm Profile columns are back ordered and that got my thinking to try something smaller. What would 160mm cranks effect. I personally hate long bikes since I only ride street and I'm about 5'9 max. I don't ride pegs now but will be riding two soon. I would think the 160s would be nice for manuals, spins and barspins (yes I can already do all of those with 170mms) and since I have really short legs they may feel good and pop faster. But I dunno. Thoughts?

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/11/2016 12:46 PM

Hmm, that's getting close to the length of cranks you get on kids bikes. It might feel like you have to pedal loads to go anywhere, like having a lower gear. I'm taller than you though, and have never run shorter than 170mm (175mm is my preference now, but I used to swear by 180mm).
I would say give it a try, but that's a fair bit of money to spend on something if it turns out you don't like em

|

6/11/2016 1:17 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Hmm, that's getting close to the length of cranks you get on kids bikes. It might feel like you have to pedal loads to go ...more

Yeah that's what I was thinking 160mm is almost flatland length. I ride a 20.75 btm now and 170s feel too long. I could always get new arms for like 80 dollars if I really hated the 160s but I dunno I don't ride far or fast.

|

6/11/2016 2:01 PM

I have 160mm cranks on my flat bike, feels good man

|

It’s all bmx

6/11/2016 2:05 PM

Four wrote:

So 165mm Profile columns are back ordered and that got my thinking to try something smaller. What would 160mm cranks effect. I ...more

If you're on 170mm cranks right now and they feel to big I'm sure 160mm cranks would work for you.

I'm about the same size and I ride 165mm cranks with 4 pegs. Although I do notice them feeling a bit small sometimes, it's definitely not in a bad way.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

6/12/2016 10:41 AM

Four wrote:

So 165mm Profile columns are back ordered and that got my thinking to try something smaller. What would 160mm cranks effect. I ...more

Thanks for the input so far guys

|

6/12/2016 4:29 PM

Four wrote:

i've been riding 170's for a few years now. im planning on going to 165's when i replace my current cranks.
I don't see where getting 160's would be that terrible.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

6/14/2016 12:47 PM

Four wrote:

Any last input before I order?

|

6/14/2016 3:17 PM

Four wrote:

Maybe for flatland.

|

6/14/2016 3:58 PM

Four wrote:

michael.eckhart wrote:

Maybe for flatland.

Or street jibs. If you don't go fast or far, probably gonna be fine.
Have you considered other brands or are you stuck on those OP?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/15/2016 12:17 PM

Four wrote:

I've never ridden 160's, I'm just going to stick with 175's for the meantime.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

6/15/2016 2:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2016 2:07 PM

Four wrote:

michael.eckhart wrote:

Maybe for flatland.

dave lawrence wrote:

Or street jibs. If you don't go fast or far, probably gonna be fine.
Have you considered other brands or are you stuck on ...more

I've considered other brands but no one really makes rhd compatible 165 22mm cranks but mutiny and profile. Or animal but I don't really like those. I really wanted 2.5 pc eclat tibias but you can only ride spline drive on left hand side. which is annoying.

|

6/17/2016 9:57 AM

I'm looking at the 165mm Profile Column cranks myself but it sucks that they're spline drive only. There are no good spline drive guard sprockets...

|

"Ride it like you stole it."

Refs: SuperstarDK, Gage191

6/17/2016 10:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/17/2016 10:40 AM

Baphometh wrote:

I'm looking at the 165mm Profile Column cranks myself but it sucks that they're spline drive only. There are no good spline ...more

If you don't want spline drive then Eclat Tibias in 165mm are another very solid option. I would've got those but I wanted to try out the spline drive set up (the sprocket is not easy to install haha). However I definitely recommend the shorter cranks if you ride street!

|

6/17/2016 10:42 AM

So I went ahead and got the 160mm Column cranks and received them today. After finally getting them installed I rode them for a while and I have to say that they feel awesome. My favorite cranks for sure. Look clean, and perform great. So much better than the old 19mm profiles. There's no flex. And most tricks feel a ton easier. Keep in mind this is personal experience and I'm not a very big guy. I also only ride street. No ramps,trails or pumping or anything.

|

6/17/2016 6:46 PM

Odyssey cranks are 22mm? You can get RHD or LHD?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/17/2016 7:14 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Odyssey cranks are 22mm? You can get RHD or LHD?

Not spline drive compatible and I think the smallest they come in is 170mm.

|

6/18/2016 4:53 AM

Sounds awesome and you're Eclat comment is my struggle ! Only spline drive on the left side really blows . I'm probably gonna snag BSD Substance cranks in 165 if they're in stock . There's like no 160mm cranks available here besides off Transition . I hope Fiend drops their 160mm cranks Garrett is running soon .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/20/2016 1:02 PM

Baphometh wrote:

I'm looking at the 165mm Profile Column cranks myself but it sucks that they're spline drive only. There are no good spline ...more

I have the MADERA, it's really good.

|

6/21/2016 10:21 AM

Four wrote:

If you don't want spline drive then Eclat Tibias in 165mm are another very solid option. I would've got those but I wanted to ...more

I have 170mm Onyx cranks right now. They're tanks. I'm not looking to buy new cranks anytime soon, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

|

"Ride it like you stole it."

Refs: SuperstarDK, Gage191

12/16/2020 1:02 PM

I just got the TIbia Spline drive 160s, but have not put them on yet. Im going to do a little research because I never used 2 piece or Spline drive. However, I spoke with Colin Varanyak on Instagram and he said that he is currently running 160s and he loves them, so does Dan Kruk who is 5'10" and I think Varanyak is taller. Im sure im way late on this post but just saw it.

|

12/16/2020 1:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2020 1:40 PM

Some dude on reddit posted recently about how he used to scoff at new trends... Then he tried 9" bars for a while (dude had like 7" or something before) and ended up liking it. Then he tried 160mm cranks and was an instant convert. He said something to the effect of 'everything is just easier' iirc.

I personally have 165mm and loved it from the moment i put em on. Before I just felt like my legs were too spread out to really load my hops. Then I thought about a basic jump just on flat ground... You get less height the further you split your feet front and back. Would consider going 160mm if I decide to go to a 22/24mm spindle setup, but that ain't happening soon.

Edit) I got played. Who revived this thread??

|

I get big airs off small things

12/16/2020 2:14 PM

I haven’t tried this but I feel like the shorter crank arms would make turndowns not crank sideways as well as longer arms

|

12/16/2020 2:43 PM

I've run 175mm, 165mm, and am currently on 160mm. As I went smaller and smaller it felt like it had a similar effect to like grabbing my bars by the crossbar but the leg version of that. Like it made me learn a tighter-to-frame way of moving the bike around. They also feel stiffer to me from less crank travel like when you land or just do whatever.

|

12/16/2020 3:15 PM

|

12/16/2020 4:25 PM

|

I get big airs off small things

12/16/2020 5:27 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I haven’t tried this but I feel like the shorter crank arms would make turndowns not crank sideways as well as longer arms

I would agree, but most trail shredders do prefer a longer crankarm. And a higher gear ratio. I would say 28-9 with 175mm -180 mm is that average for most straight trail riders. The shorter crankarm is geared more towards a street rider to get up speed in tight spots as well as help with the rotation during spins and balance on Crankarm grinds etc. If I am wrong about this please correct me. I love the 165s and do have 175 and 170 but I am excited to try 160 after the recommendations. 170 actually feels too long now. Its weird.

|

12/16/2020 5:28 PM

spokewretch wrote:

I've run 175mm, 165mm, and am currently on 160mm. As I went smaller and smaller it felt like it had a similar effect to like ...more

ditto

|

12/16/2020 9:02 PM

I’m running 160mm Eclat Spires on a 13” chainstay. I’m 5.11 but like the shorter cranks because my heels clip my rear peg. This makes it really distracting and I lose focus if I am about to set up for a hop/grind. I don’t mind the shorter cranks at all. My question is: what and where are you planning on buying? Everywhere is damn near out of shorter cranks

|

12/16/2020 9:04 PM

Damn, I need to start reading the whole thread...didn’t realize this was 4 years old

|