160mm cranks?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/24/2018 11:41 PM

I know this has come up a few times, but I was wondering how many of you guys have gone this short?
I've got a brand new pair, still in the box. I'm trying to sell them but no ones interested. So I thought about putting them on for shits and giggles. But then the value will drop. Hmmmmmm

|

2/24/2018 11:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2018 12:14 AM

I was thinking of going to 165 or 170 from 175 and I'm kind of stuck between the two.
I feel like 160mm might make my knees hurt or something like that.

Edit: sorry made it seem like I was going from shorter cranks not too them

|

Hmmm

2/24/2018 11:59 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I was thinking of going to 165 or 170 from 175 and I'm kind of stuck between the two.
I feel like 160mm might make my knees ...more

Actually going from 175 to 170 made it easier for my knees (when pedaling long distances).
But maybe 160 is a little much, I'd be curious to try a 165 tho.
Steve, you should try them, at least you'll know how they feel and it should be funny to ride.

|

2/25/2018 12:01 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I feel like 160mm might make my knees ...more

I quite like coasting at speed, riding to a spot is often more fun than riding a spot to me. But, I was thinking they might feel quite cool whilst at a spot. I've got problems with my hips too, so was thinking it might help with that? But it'll make pedalling a bit more effort which could have the opposite affect :/

I'd give it a try without a second thought if they weren't brand new

|

2/25/2018 12:52 AM

Get short cranks , if you’re on the fence get them anyways and try . 165’s I’m running from 175’s and they felt amazing . Used to them now , but it makes a huge difference and just feels better and way less flexy

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/25/2018 1:28 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Get short cranks , if you’re on the fence get them anyways and try . 165’s I’m running from 175’s and they felt amazing . Used ...more

That's the thing, I already have them, but 160 seems over the top. And as soon as I use them they'll drop in value

|

2/25/2018 6:11 AM

Price won't drop if ya don't scratch em up, imo. Ride em for a week or so (long enough to get adjusted to them at least) and decide from there. Just try not to scratch em up if your plan is to sell them.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/25/2018 1:21 PM

I would ride 160 in a heartbeat , don’t think 5mm would baffle your mind. From 175 to 165 was a big difference , 5mm wouldn’t be huge .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/25/2018 1:54 PM

I definitely think it’s worth a shot. Currently on 175, but rode a friends ALVX frame in 20.4 with 165 cranks and it felt amazing. That being said, though, I love twitchy and fast handling bikes, so maybe it’s not for everyone. I’m definitely thinking about 160 or 165 cranks to pair with the Repeater frame, if I ever get there.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/25/2018 10:30 PM

I ride 170's cause they were cheaper than 175mm cranks of the same variety. They do make pedaling more difficult but hopping feels nicer I feel.

You will easily notice the difference, especially with as long as you have been riding.

I like the extra stiffness.

I have 165mm on my backup and they feel nice.

If you like riding from spot to spot more than at the spot I think you would be better off sticking with longer cranks though.

Makes each crank feel way more torquey and efficient.

|

2/26/2018 4:06 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I ride 170's cause they were cheaper than 175mm cranks of the same variety. They do make pedaling more difficult but hopping ...more

Fuck!

I just bought a pair of 165 cranks for my transportation bike....
How fucked am I? w00t

|

2/26/2018 6:17 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I ride 170's cause they were cheaper than 175mm cranks of the same variety. They do make pedaling more difficult but hopping ...more

am-shaegar wrote:

Fuck!

How fucked am I? w00t

Youre not. What gearing do you run?

|

2/26/2018 6:26 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

28-9

I do have some incline portions, where I do need some torque
I got them for the same reason, they were a lot cheaper...

|

2/26/2018 9:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2018 9:08 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Fuck!

How fucked am I? w00t

Bulletpup wrote:

am-shaegar wrote:

28-9

I do have some incline portions, where I do need some torque
I got them for the same reason, they were a lot cheaper... ...more

I mean if you are used to 28-9 anyway, im sure you will be able to handle it...but it definitely will be noticeable...lol

28-9 and hills dont make for a good combo unless you are hauling ass. Im sure you are already aware of that though.

Youll be fine probably as I said iff you are already used to a stiffer gearing. I will metion the shorter cranks will make you Feel like you added an extra tooth or 2 though.

I run 23-9 and with 165mm cranks it feels like 25-9 imo.

|

2/27/2018 12:11 AM

28 9 is much nicer when climbing hills. You actually get somewhere rather than pedalling like crazy and not going anywhere.

I'll give it a go. But it's a pretty big change so I'm not sure if I'll get on with it :/

|

2/27/2018 7:41 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I mean if you are used to 28-9 anyway, im sure you will be able to handle it...but it definitely will be noticeable...lol

...more

Hmm, 29/9 or 30/9
I can live with that laughing

As long as I don't have to pedal like a tasmanian devil to maintain my speed laughing

|

2/27/2018 7:42 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

28 9 is much nicer when climbing hills. You actually get somewhere rather than pedalling like crazy and not going anywhere.

...more

Let us know how it went cheerful

|

2/27/2018 8:31 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

...more

am-shaegar wrote:

Let us know how it went cheerful

Might be a while. The weather sucks, and I want to make the most of every chance I get to ride! I don't really want to waste a day trying to ride em if I hate em

|

2/27/2018 8:45 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

...more

I think the point of a smaller ratio for hill climbing is to be easy on the legs, not to be the first one to the top of the hill. At least where I grew up, there's a few hills so steep that just simply cannot be climbed with a higher ratio. In fact, I was always the first one to the top of those hills with my 23/9. All my friends with 28/9 had to walk itgrin

Sounds like a good leg work out though. I find that once you've rode a ratio for so long, your legs adapt and it feels "normal."

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/27/2018 9:41 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I think the point of a smaller ratio for hill climbing is to be easy on the legs, not to be the first one to the top of the ...more

If you got legs like this Im sure 50-1 gearing ratio would be fine for hills.
Photo

Lol

|

2/27/2018 9:44 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I think the point of a smaller ratio for hill climbing is to be easy on the legs, not to be the first one to the top of the ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Photo

Lol

Might just be better off running up the hill with legs like that! Jezuz

|

2/27/2018 9:47 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Photo

Lol

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Just jump up it

|

Hmmm

2/27/2018 9:50 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Photo

Lol

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Just jump up it

Fuck it just take the hill and move it out of your waygrin grin

|

3/8/2018 1:47 PM

If anyone is interested, I got to play around with the 165's
Going from 175 I didn't notice any losses in pedaling efficiency .

What I did notice was an improvement in maneuverability and a better hop height

It might be just placebo tho laughing
But overall I like them and don't regret my choice

I reckon 160 wouldn't be much different

|

5/14/2018 10:11 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I know this has come up a few times, but I was wondering how many of you guys have gone this short?
I've got a brand new pair, ...more

Still have?

|

BmxSavage

Refs:Mike-E -Profile minis, 7ka , and seatpost

Instagram:Issabikelife
YouTube:Bmxcheerios

5/14/2018 10:26 PM

I ride 160 cranks on my chrome bike build since 2016.

From my experience the peddling became easier to me. 175 cranks have more torque, but when I switched to 160 my caddence became faster/smoother. Also with a fistful of seatpost exposed I can actually peddle while sitting down, which I would not be able to do with 175 cranks. With shorter cranks the pedals are closer; making it easier for me to land back on the pedals from a tailwhip. When I was using 175 cranks I used to mostly land back on the cranks themselves after a tailwhip.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.