165mm and 28t

Related:
Create New Tag

7/19/2018 8:26 AM

Hey guys! Any reason this combo would be a bad idea?

|

7/19/2018 8:32 AM

it'd feel more efficient than 165mm w/ 25t

It's what Jordan Godwin Rides. Shouldn't feel too bad, You'll pedal in a smaller circle but you'd have no problem picking up speed.

|

7/19/2018 8:33 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

it'd feel more efficient than 165mm w/ 25t

It's what Jordan Godwin Rides. Shouldn't feel too bad, You'll pedal in a smaller ...more

Sure if you like going turtle speed , 25 teeth is terrible for speed

|

7/19/2018 8:37 AM

I ride on a bike trail a lot...

|

7/19/2018 8:51 AM

I'm thinking of going this way too. I like 28/9 and I have 170mm cranks now. My knees, during a sloppy run up, will definitely still hit my bars.

I'm a mutant.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/19/2018 8:55 AM

It'll be slightly harder to pedal for the first couple of cranks (less leverage on the arms). Was going to do this myself. But the 165mm arms I've got are bossless. And I've just got a rad 30t sprocket, so I'm giving 30 9 with my 175's a go first. Might get a 10t driver at some point. Dunno yet

|

7/19/2018 9:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2018 9:04 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Sure if you like going turtle speed , 25 teeth is terrible for speed

You're hallucinating. I said it'd feel BETTER THAN 25T

Of course 25T is terrible for speed, I Have one because I use my bike for transit and all these hills in Los Angeles.

|

7/19/2018 9:50 AM

I run 28t on 165s feels almost exactly like 28t on 175s, 10mm makes very little difference

|

Hmmm

7/19/2018 9:54 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It'll be slightly harder to pedal for the first couple of cranks (less leverage on the arms). Was going to do this myself. But ...more

I'm mid school, baby. I'm used to the hard starts.

I guess I'll run this on my new Subrosa that is on the way. smile

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

|

7/19/2018 11:25 AM

Youll be fine, i personally dont like anything over 25/9, guarded sprockets are a must for what I like to do. I usually gravitate toward smaller sprockets. I like how shorter cranks feel but going from 175 to 170/165 was very noticeable to me.

I put a 27/9 with 165mm cranks on for my sons bike because he said it was too easy to pedal lol. He now has a very hard time keeping up when he rides with me on occasion.

Anyway, youll be fine but if you got hills, good luck. Lol

|

7/19/2018 12:31 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Youll be fine, i personally dont like anything over 25/9, guarded sprockets are a must for what I like to do. I usually ...more

I much prefer heavier gearing for hills; makes it seem like you're actually getting somewhere.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/19/2018 12:48 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

It'll be slightly harder to pedal for the first couple of cranks (less leverage on the arms). Was going to do this myself. But ...more

dead goon wrote:

Thanks for ...more

Well, 25 9 is almost identical to 44 16. 28 9 is a higher gear (harder to pedal, faster top speed). It depends how you adjust to shorter cranks really. I notice the difference between 175mm and 180mm (I prefer 180 but it's less practical), so I'd personally be wary of going even shorter. Whereas Edman doesn't notice (which is making me more tempted to try)

|

7/19/2018 2:21 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

dead goon wrote:

Thanks for ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Well, 25 9 is almost identical to 44 16. 28 9 is a higher gear (harder to pedal, faster top speed). It depends how you adjust ...more

But I've been riding for 2 years and came onto the 165s after an injury so I was adjusting to the bike again. You have been riding longer and probably feel the bike more. Just trying not to misinform smile

|

Hmmm

7/24/2018 12:03 AM

I ride 165mm and 28t and I really like the combo, I honestly don't think it feels that much different to 175 and 28 if I'm completely honest

|

7/24/2018 12:33 AM

i ride 165 28/9 too and it feels great.

|

IG: @_almost_crook

7/24/2018 12:19 PM

dead goon wrote:

Hey guys! Any reason this combo would be a bad idea?

I have this exact combo. Honestly as a flatlander, I’d prefer a smaller gear since I have a 9t in the back but it works good. I’d see someone shredding this on trails and maybe a bmx-designed park.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican