175mm crank standard might change to 165mm

Related:
Create New Tag

3/17/2017 7:47 AM

I think its too long for modern fresstyle, I hear a lot of people say the heal of their foot touches the back peg and 165mm cranks solve that, but it does not seem to be common knowledge because 175mm or 170mm is the "standard" that comes on most completes.

bottom line is I think 165mm crank arms should be the new "standard"

|

3/17/2017 8:17 AM

timedrifter wrote:

I think its too long for modern fresstyle, I hear a lot of people say the heal of their foot touches the back peg and 165mm ...more

You're projecting.

And 165mm won't necessarily fix that. I have big feet and 175mm cranks. Do my heels hit my peg sometimes? Yes. Is it a problem? Not for me.

And what happens on my next frame, whatever that may be? Based on my shopping around, I will likely be running a shorter rear end. Should I then go down to 155mm? Rhetorical question...

People have crank length options in the aftermarket. Plenty of them. To make an industry-wide switch will likely improve nothing. The "complaints" will just shift to the other side of the length argument.

|

3/17/2017 8:37 AM

I wear size 10.5 and used to ride 180 mm profiles with a 13.0 chainstay and I never hit my foot on my pegs , 175 is fine for me

|

3/17/2017 8:44 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I wear size 10.5 and used to ride 180 mm profiles with a 13.0 chainstay and I never hit my foot on my pegs , 175 is fine for ...more

Exactly. I used to ride a frame with a 13.11 chainstay, pegs, 175mm cranks and size 9.5 shoes. I never hit my feet either. Now I ride the same setup, but a different frame with a 13.5 chainstay.

My friend rides a 12.5 chainstay (yes you heard that right, BSD ALVX) with pegs and size 9 shoes I think. His feet never hit. I've ridden his bike and my feet never hit either, unless I'm on my toes on the pedals instead of the arch of my foot.

Moving ones wheel back 5 or 10mm would be a much simpler solution than getting new cranks.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

3/17/2017 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2017 9:47 AM

My brother's running pegs on my back foot(left) side with a 13.25" CS slammed and 175s. I can quite comfortably get on his bike and ride without hitting my feet off the peg, I wear size 12 US.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/17/2017 9:50 AM

I am just going by my own experience,it did fix the issue for me, I wear size 9.5, I also realized most flat land riders use shorter cranks too, but what you guys are saying makes sense, so I don't deny that either, but I made my case and your feedback was perfect

|

3/17/2017 10:04 AM

Just to be more clear, I should have added that my heal hits the peg during manuals mostly

|

3/17/2017 11:48 AM

I'm kinda with you timedrifter... The days of 10-15+yrs ago where most frames and completes were barley under 14" cs slammed, is about gone (unless it's dirt specific).

The things I personally can't stand on a bike is hitting your shoe on the seat, or axle/ peg and hitting your knee on the bar/ stem. Currently I don't have any of those issues on my bike, but if I ever get a frame under 13.5" slammed I'll be getting 165mm cranks for sure.

|

3/17/2017 1:03 PM

I've been tempted to try out shorter cranks. I don't have pegs. It's more to do with trying to get my feet a little closer together. So I'm in more of a natural position. Word on the street (or in the woods) is Clint Reynolds rides 165mm. Another reason I'm tempted to try shorter cranks is because my knees and hips are a bit wafty, so the shorter arms might be a little easier on my old joints.

But, it's a personal preference thing, and something only more experienced riders will know if it suits them. So, it doesn't need to be on completes. Maybe some more street specific bikes will come with shorter cranks in the future. They certainly are more popular than they were a few years ago

|

3/17/2017 1:15 PM

I can definitely see 165mm cranks coming stock on SOME completes, but maybe not becoming the industry standard.

I definitely agree that there are more riders running short cranks, and I'd like to try some myself. I just don't wanna blow money on a pair since 175mm suits me well and I don't know if I'll like it.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/17/2017 1:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2017 1:28 PM

Well said Steve.

I've also wondered what kind of positive effect (if any) bringing my feet closer would have when riding. When I'm off my bike for an extended time and get back on, the first thing I say to myself is "Why do my feet seem, so far apart?".

I also can't really justify spending all that $$$ currently for something that may, or may not be worth it... lol

|

3/17/2017 2:10 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Well said Steve.

I've also wondered what kind of positive effect (if any) bringing my feet closer would have when riding. ...more

I heard Clint Reynolds uses shorter cranks because it's easier to do a lot of tricks with your feet closer to the bb.

With the state of my hips I can't see it having a negative affect. My only concern is 165mm might feel too short/weird. Or 170mm won't make enough difference to matter.
I used to have 180mm, and I felt the difference when pedalling (but got used to it really quickly), but I don't think it made a difference to how I rode.

|

3/17/2017 2:27 PM

A lot of people change the cranks anyways. Not due to size but they want a different brand name. I don't, if I buy I complete it's because I'm digging the complete. I've never liked 4 piece bars and if I get the Cult Devotion I'm getting the gold one cause that fucker looks fire. Of course it's got the 4 piece. It's solely on looks is why I don't like em but I'll ride them fuckers till they break. I think it's that way for 99% of us but there's the 1% that only care what names on a part and not how it functions. If it hurts your riding then change it, if your doing it for looks or a certain name brand then ya gotta ask yourself how much you really love riding or if your in it to look the part. We all have our favorite brands and that's rad, we should support smaller rider owned and operated companies just make sure your buying it cause it progresses your riding and feels right to you.

|

3/17/2017 3:29 PM

bloodwizard77 wrote:

A lot of people change the cranks anyways. Not due to size but they want a different brand name. I don't, if I buy I complete ...more

Most people upgrade parts because they want better parts, not because of the name on it.

|

3/17/2017 4:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2017 5:00 PM

Honestly the 10mm difference isn't much clearance , I wear size 9-9.5 shoes and still clip my heel on my back peg with 165mm cranks and a 13.25 rear end . It just feels better .

I do agree though , on current bikes with more street specs they should compensate to 170mm

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/17/2017 11:50 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Honestly the 10mm difference isn't much clearance , I wear size 9-9.5 shoes and still clip my heel on my back peg with 165mm ...more

Regardless of clearance, how does it feel compared to 175mm? Does it feel more comfortable having your feet a bit closer?

|

3/18/2017 6:14 AM

You can definitely tell the crank arms are shorter when you pedal around. But as far as actually riding I didn't notice much of a difference.

|

3/18/2017 6:40 PM

Hi All,
I realized I missed an important detail, I realized not only did I change my cranks, but I also changed my pedals to a taller profile pedal (odyssey twisted PC pedals) and I think the tall pedals combined with the 165mm cranks is really what made the difference to my foot heal hitting the peg when trying to manual and stuff.

|

3/18/2017 7:39 PM

timedrifter wrote:

Hi All,
I realized I missed an important detail, I realized not only did I change my cranks, but I also changed my pedals to a ...more

Did it really affect it that much? I doubt pedals changed it noticeably.

But, if you say...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/18/2017 8:04 PM

timedrifter wrote:

Hi All,
I realized I missed an important detail, I realized not only did I change my cranks, but I also changed my pedals to a ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Did it really affect it that much? I doubt pedals changed it noticeably.

But, if you say...

It effectively changes your bottom bracket height. But I cant even feel a difference between like Super Tenderizers and other slimmer pedals sooo

|

3/19/2017 7:46 AM

I always thought people changed crank size because of the feel more than the convenience.
I tried 175s/70s and 65s. Here's what I found. Your body will naturally avoid hitting the peg np after a day or two. A lot aren't aware of this but 170s bring your feet 10mms closer together because you have 2 of them.

|

3/19/2017 7:50 AM

What's the difference in the feel??
I went from 75s to 65s first. What I observed was that it instantly felt like every little pop lifted my bike higher and everything was way more responsive except 360s. It seemed like I had to force them more or it was all just too tight. The best part though is that NoseMabuals are easier to hold up with shorter cranks and the pop is way more dynamic. I kept it for about 2mos and eventually went to 170s because 165 felt too tight for me.. like when in manuals, I had to wiggle a lot more dramatically to recover, than with my 175s.
170 feels just great (right in the middle) and my heels never hit. I run a 13.25 rear btw.

|

3/21/2017 2:48 PM

I saw a good thread on facebook today, good comments, see attached picture
Photo

|

3/22/2017 3:55 PM

I ride 160s haha.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.