Next time I’ll heed the opinions of those who take time to give advise on here

Related:
Create New Tag

10/20/2018 10:23 PM

3 months ago I bought my 10 yr old daughter an 18” cult.
She literally chosed this bike. Initially I took her to Cosco and Walmart and said those bike were all ugly lol. Last time she rode a bike was at age 7.
She is so amped about her bike and is on her bike 3 times a week. No one in our imidiate family is into bmx bikes so I come here to ask the question is it better for her to be riding a cassette or leave the FC it came on the bike?

Yes, she does ride with a helmet, elbow pads and knee/shin combo pads..

Thanks to all input.

|

10/21/2018 12:29 AM

A lot of people will say you (or she) should learn with a cassette. But it really doesn't matter. She'll learn how to use the freecoaster, just like she'd learn how to use a cassette. The only downside I can think of is if she ever went to a cassette she'd have to relearn how to fakie.

|

10/21/2018 7:13 AM

I would personally get her a cassette wheel. Becasue the slack can probbaly be a bit confusing/ difficult for her to ride... and an 18" cassette wheel would be cheap anyways...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/21/2018 7:38 AM

Usually I'd say start with a cassette, but in this situation I think the freecoaster will work just fine. Like Steve said, she'll learn to ride with either. Plus she will be an epic streetlord at age 15 doing mad fakie lines.

|

10/21/2018 8:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/25/2018 11:00 AM

|

10/21/2018 9:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2018 9:23 AM

This literally makes no sense.

A freecoaster is more like a manual because you're literally engaing and disengaging a clutch mechanism

|

10/21/2018 9:40 AM

Free coasters tend to be heavy. I wouldn’t put one on my daughter’s bike just for that reason.

Young kids, especially girls, benefit from a light bike.

|

10/21/2018 9:41 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

This literally makes no sense.

A freecoaster is more like a manual because you're literally engaing and disengaging a clutch mechanism

I think he means that with a freecoaster you can just roll backwards with no extra hassle, meanwhile a cassette requires you to do something to be able to go backwards.

|

10/21/2018 10:21 AM

Rabbe wrote:

I think he means that with a freecoaster you can just roll backwards with no extra hassle, meanwhile a cassette requires you to do something to be able to go backwards.

No yeah I know what he meant. But it just made no sense because a freecoaster literally is a "manual" because it has a clutch mechanism in it lol

|

10/21/2018 8:20 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

A lot of people will say you (or she) should learn with a cassette. But it really doesn't matter. She'll learn how to use the freecoaster, just like she'd learn how to use a cassette. The only downside I can think of is if she ever went to a cassette she'd have to relearn how to fakie.

Gonna have to relearn how to fakie either way imo.

I'd recommend keeping what is already on there if she likes the bike. Or wait till the hub has an issue and use it as an excuse to try something new

|

10/22/2018 5:48 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I would personally get her a cassette wheel. Becasue the slack can probbaly be a bit confusing/ difficult for her to ride... and an 18" cassette wheel would be cheap anyways...

This was what I was looking for cause I had heard that many prefer having pedal pressure too.
She only 10 so maybe I’m just being to analytical and maybe I should just let her have fun with It, she is having a blast and wants to go to our skate park already.

Thanks for all your inputs

|

10/22/2018 6:08 AM

That bike looks badass. If she is happy with the bike as it is, then leave it like that, it's best not to complicate things at that age. Let her just get out and get blasting.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

10/22/2018 6:38 AM

nando2075 wrote:

This was what I was looking for cause I had heard that many prefer having pedal pressure too.
She only 10 so maybe I’m just being to analytical and maybe I should just let her have fun with It, she is having a blast and wants to go to our skate park already.

Thanks for all your inputs

Firstly - Awesome of you as a Dad to get your daughter into BMX, even more awesome is you've obviously shown her what a good bike looks like. You should have her follow Perris Benegas, Angie Marino, and Nina Buitrago for inspiration. Girls are kicking ass!

As far as the cassette / freecoaster debate, she's way too young to even notice. I guarantee you. On this forum we're kind of stuck in a vacuum of fairly like-minded and experienced people. We all know the differences between the two because we concentrate on the differences.

I'll be perfectly honest, when I bought a complete bike it had a cassette on it and I rode for about a year like that. The wheel started to come untrue and by that point I just wanted something new and shiny so I bought a complete freecoaster wheel. I couldn't tell the difference because I wasn't looking for it, and I didn't know there was one. Only after another 2 years of riding and actually looking up what the difference was did I start to notice things.

So, keep the bike as is, let her learn. The most fun part of BMX is learning new things. People forget that.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

10/22/2018 6:56 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Firstly - Awesome of you as a Dad to get your daughter into BMX, even more awesome is you've obviously shown her what a good bike looks like. You should have her follow Perris Benegas, Angie Marino, and Nina Buitrago for inspiration. Girls are kicking ass!

As far as the cassette / freecoaster debate, she's way too young to even notice. I guarantee you. On this forum we're kind of stuck in a vacuum of fairly like-minded and experienced people. We all know the differences between the two because we concentrate on the differences.

I'll be perfectly honest, when I bought a complete bike it had a cassette on it and I rode for about a year like that. The wheel started to come untrue and by that point I just wanted something new and shiny so I bought a complete freecoaster wheel. I couldn't tell the difference because I wasn't looking for it, and I didn't know there was one. Only after another 2 years of riding and actually looking up what the difference was did I start to notice things.

So, keep the bike as is, let her learn. The most fun part of BMX is learning new things. People forget that.

This is where it's at. If she's already riding the freecoaster, she's probably already used to the slack.

|

8/13/2019 4:25 PM

Well she had her first crash 3 months ago . She was wearing her shadow helmet which completely made it a huge difference. Her shadow knee/shin and elbow pads. She was on our park bowl not doing much just getting a feel for it. As she was going up the ramp 3ft max height she tried to pedal and got caught with the slack of the coaster ,lost her balance and spilled. I’ve been real hesitant to get her on the bike again but she a trooper and literally has tears wanting to ride .

|

8/13/2019 4:27 PM

|

8/13/2019 4:33 PM

nando2075 wrote:

|

8/13/2019 4:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2019 4:36 PM

So the upgrade , she ready I’m not 😞 shemale back street pro

|

8/13/2019 4:35 PM

|

8/14/2019 2:05 AM

Damn what a badass!

|

8/14/2019 9:36 AM

RumHam wrote:

Damn what a badass!

Yes she is and very resilient. I know accidents come with the territory it’s just as a father it’s a very difficult. Thank you RumHam

|

8/15/2019 2:02 AM

RumHam wrote:

Damn what a badass!

nando2075 wrote:

Yes she is and very resilient. I know accidents come with the territory it’s just as a father it’s a very difficult. Thank you RumHam

Yeah I can totally relate, I have a one year old daughter and I'm hoping I can get her into BMX or skating when she's older but I really struggle seeing her get hurt and I know that won't change when she get's older. Seems like you're both doing an awesome job, keep it up

|