Help!?!?! First Build 1989 GT Performer build from Survivor Parts (complete part list & Cost) Did I pay too much???

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2020 5:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2020 5:35 AM

Here is my list of Parts and the cost for each... This build has cost me a little over $2k due to a couple of mishaps (3 to be exact) with ordering the wrong parts

Part - eBay Seller - Cost

1) Survivor Frame, Handle bars, Seat Post - flintgtboy78 $640.79
2) Black OKG Mags - flintgtboy78 $388.09
3) Cheng Shin 20 X 1.75" Black & Gum Tires - potatosflipsvillempire $45.85
4) SR SAKAE MS 422 NOS Stem- blackdot06 (2831) $94.25
5) Vingage Gyro Detangler - flintgtboy78 $45.83
6) 86 Diamondback Rotor Headset berings 20" - flintgtboy78 $27.99
7) Black Vp 823 GT Performer 1/2" Pedals - flintgtboy78 $24.99
8) Bmx GT Pro Freestyle 24t bottom crank bracket bearing set - flintgtboy78 $27.99
9) 1987 Detour GT Performer Crank(cheese grader drive crank) - flintgtboy78 $101.29
10) 1987 Haro Master Black Odyssey gyro Cables 20" - flintgtboy78 $46.89
11) 1990 GT Performer Saddle - bike123com $75.78
13) Dia Compe Bulldog brake caliper set Ft/R 1989 GT Bmx G2 N2 - mtr008r $48.13
14) 1987-88 GT Performer Star Break Levers Dyno Competition - vintage-bmx-store $146.84
15) 1989 black GT Mallet Stem - alphabicyclecompaany $157.50
16) 1898 GT Performer world tour Fame Standers - alphabicyclecompaany $40.00
17) Pair 1989 GT Freestyle Pro-Performer 1.75 PFT LP 5 Tires - badd26p8p $89.89
18) 1989 GT Performer Tomahawk Mags (w/GT Logo) - ohiogooseman $170.23

Total(s) Parts $ 2172.33

Needed as of 03/26/20:

GT Seat-post clamp
Brake Pads

Disclaimer: The reason that you see some duplicate parts (stems & tires, Mags) is because I realized some parts ordered were not original 1989 parts. I eventually found pictures of all OEM parts in the original "1989 GT BMX Bike Catalog" publication, So I went and purchased the correct parts. I made some mistakes (3) due to confusion with the parts that came standard. This happened with mallet stem, the mags and initially with the tires (I decided to go with the GT logo tires)

My Rule of Thumb: For this build I tried to purchase parts that did not require additional refurbishing, the sprocket is the only part that will require powder-coating to get the desired look (purchased white, i need it to be black)

I hope this helps any of you planning to rebuild one of these bikes. A word of caution, beware if using ebay as a source for parts. I had A LOT!!!! of issues with payments being declined because of issues with seller accounts. The payment issues have been the most frustrating part of this process by far. As of today 03/26/20 all parts have been ordered and should be received by Friday 03/37/20, I will post pictures of the final assembly.... possibly in the coming week!!!

Stay Tuned!!!

1989 GT Performer Survivor Frame (Unboxing)!!!!!

Part 2 - 1989 GT Performer Survivor parts delivered (unboxing)

|

3/26/2020 7:50 PM

Just wondering if I paid too much, I feel like most of the parts are in really good condition, I am not upset, I just don't want to get hosed if there are better places to source parts.

|

3/26/2020 10:36 PM

Yes you paid too much, especially if you’re not riding the bike daily. Those old parts suck, there’s a reason older dudes don’t ride that anymore. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

|

It’s all bmx

3/26/2020 11:02 PM

ouch no man you wanted 1989 and that's awesome. '85-'89 was my era, and it was awesome seeing those parts. I feel like I knew some with that bike for sure.

|

3/27/2020 3:24 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Yes you paid too much, especially if you’re not riding the bike daily. Those old parts suck, there’s a reason older dudes don’ ...more

I do plan to ride the bike. I can't say that I will ride it daily.. But definitely often. I am not sure what you mean by "older dudes don't ride that anymore"??? Do you mean the innards (bearings n such)? As far as the bike I am building it for nostalgia's sake. This is a bike I always wanted as a kid and my parents just couldn't afford it (it is my nostalgia)...

Even today looking at the bike, I love it's profile. It is still just as dope and cool as it was in 1989 (at least to me, that part is priceless)... Were you suggesting that I went with new innards (because i can understand that) or do you consider old school 80's bikes trash? I asked the cost question because I didn't want to get hosed and wanted to know if there are better places than ebay to source these parts. I do appreciate your feedback and thanks.

|

3/27/2020 3:33 AM

WW3Revelation6and13 wrote:

ouch no man you wanted 1989 and that's awesome. '85-'89 was my era, and it was awesome seeing those parts. I feel like I knew ...more

Thanks for the vote of confidence dude... Like you 85'-89' was my era when it came to these bmx freestyle bikes!!!!! The crazy colors, any bike with mags was considered a cut above the rest... lolz GT, Dyno, Haro, Redline, and Diamondback were the epitome for bikes... It's been a lot of fun going back looking at the old catalogs and knowing that I am building something you can't just go buy in a store today. It's the fact that this thing was one of the coolest things a kid could own still does it... I live in the New York area and work for a tech firm (we all ride bikes, skateboard, 1-wheels... etc) I can't wait to ride this puppy to work and post it up by my desk...lol

|

3/27/2020 5:36 AM

As I mentioned I goofed on a couple of purchases.....wrong stem, 2 sets of tires (that was more of a preference than a goof), and I found the 1989 GT Performer Tomahawk mags.... but all parts are in pretty good shape maybe 8.5 on scale to 10???
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/27/2020 5:46 AM

All I can say is that if you are happy with what you got, and pricing seems consistent across the board, then I would be content.

Personally I have not spent that kind of money rebuilding a bike, but I also haven't found anything to rebuild that I want bad enough.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor man!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/27/2020 8:28 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

All I can say is that if you are happy with what you got, and pricing seems consistent across the board, then I would be ...more

Thanks man.. that's pretty much how I feel.. Happy with the parts, pretty enthusiastic about getting the rest of the parts and starting the build this weekend. Fingers crossed everything gets here by tomorrow and the build will be complete by end of weekend.

|

3/27/2020 10:27 AM

bmx museum might be a better site to share this stuff with. It's mostly younger folks here... folks that were born WELL AFTER 1989.

you know. the kind of folks that need to GET OFF MY LAWN. lol

|

3/27/2020 10:34 AM

pnj wrote:

bmx museum might be a better site to share this stuff with. It's mostly younger folks here... folks that were born WELL AFTER ...more

I appreciate that reference to "Friday" lmao!!!

|

3/27/2020 10:39 AM

pnj wrote:

bmx museum might be a better site to share this stuff with. It's mostly younger folks here... folks that were born WELL AFTER ...more

" GT, Dyno, Haro, Redline, and Diamondback were the epitome for bikes... "

Hutch was on top...

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

3/27/2020 11:29 AM

Aren't a lot of the kids born after 1989 on Facebook? I'm in my forties and don't Facebook... if it makes you happy and you aren't going to miss any meals then don't worry about if you got the best deal ever.

|

3/27/2020 12:02 PM

Trend Hype wrote:

As I mentioned I goofed on a couple of purchases.....wrong stem, 2 sets of tires (that was more of a preference than a goof), ...more

I've got those same pedals, I swear to god those pedals will last a lifetime.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/27/2020 12:08 PM

That’s #facts.. and I don’t want this to turn into old school vs. new school... I think there is room for both.. I’ve always been one that respects and appreciates origins.. from music, movies, cars, pop culture... BMX history.. if you see where I’m going... we can’t truly appreciate the “New” if we don’t know anything about the history... but maybe that’s just me and my opinion... but i luv the culture new or old school i can appreciate it..

|

3/27/2020 12:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 12:16 PM

Trend Hype wrote:

That’s #facts.. and I don’t want this to turn into old school vs. new school... I think there is room for both.. I’ve always ...more

Oh I agree. I definitely think new school chromoly shit is better but some of the mid-school stuff is better than a good bit of new school stuff like those GT pedals. I STILL ride an old GT Piston because they're so good (though I'm planning on retiring it for something newer so I can put it on my 2001 detour again). Man, that bike weighed like 35 pounds or close to it.
EDIT: I forgot to mention the pedals I have are the 9/16 version, not the 1/2 ones.
EDIT 2: You know I think I actually have an old performer frame somewhere. I don't think it's the pro performer though. I also have an RL20II frame lying around I was gonna get rolling again. Only thing I'm concerned about is the insane prices those RL parts go for. I found some forks on ebay for $500!

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/27/2020 12:12 PM

For that money, you could get a minty early Hutch Trick Star! But it's your dream not mine..

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

3/27/2020 12:43 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Hutch was on top...

I know man.

I was there..

|

3/27/2020 12:44 PM

pnj wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Hutch was on top...

pnj wrote:

I know man.

I was there..

Forgot about Hutch!!!!!

|

3/29/2020 3:05 PM

Weekend progress here is where I got to check it out

|

3/29/2020 3:49 PM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Not bad progress for the weekend considering I don't have some key parts... still waiting on crank, seat, seat guts, seat post clamp, Crank, and Crank arms....

|

3/29/2020 3:51 PM

Looking good man!

|

3/29/2020 4:23 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Looking good man!

Thanks Bro!!!! Hopefully I can finish this coming week and let you guys see the final product...

|

4/4/2020 12:54 AM

Trend Hype wrote:

That’s #facts.. and I don’t want this to turn into old school vs. new school... I think there is room for both.. I’ve always ...more

I’m new here & I just started to build bmx again because my daughter is at the age that is riding bikes a lot... I build race car for a living and I can say this.... build what you like.... do not box yourself into a type.... if you want to restore old school original ? Go for it, if you want to build a new school bike with preset set up ? Go for it...

I just recently finish my first build since 1984 (GT) and I build it exactly how i want it. And the only person I’m trying to impress is myself...

Photo

Photo

|

4/5/2020 11:43 AM

Trend Hype wrote:

team3d wrote:

I’m new here & I just started to build bmx again because my daughter is at the age that is riding bikes a lot... I build ...more

Beautiful Bike.. I just finished mine yesterday on 04/04/20

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

4/7/2020 8:20 AM

This is how I decided to store it in my apartment...

Photo
|

10/26/2020 8:15 PM

Do you still have the cheese grader sprocket? You inspired me to build my ‘89

|