2 bikes?!

Related:
Create New Tag

3/29/2017 12:44 PM

I know quite a few people have multiple bikes. I'm not sure if I can justify the cost, but I really want to build a terrible1 sfa. The parts list would probably be the same as my current bike. So I don't even know if it'll really be worth it.

My main reason for thinking about another frame so soon after getting my custom is purely due to maybe wanting brakes, so I'd be more likely to ride trails. I love my bike as it is and wouldn't want brakes on it.

Maybe I could just get the frame and swap between them, but that seems like far too much effort. But another reason I'd like another bike is so I don't use mine for commuting.

I'm just thinking out loud really....

Because I have no friends irl

|

3/29/2017 12:46 PM

That's funny that your second bike would be for trails, as I am building one for that exact purpose. The only parts I need are metal pedals (I've got plastic ones ATM) and dirt tires. I've also got some brakes for it, just gotta throw them on. Eventually I'll have a new front wheel laced up, all I need are the spokes.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

3/29/2017 12:48 PM

Here it is... Photo

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

3/29/2017 1:39 PM

dan dan the biker man. I may have dirt tires if you need some. Depending on what you want.

Then you can go down to greenlake and ride the jumps.

|

3/29/2017 3:17 PM

Do it.

I just set my bike up for what I am into at the time, I have spare parts to change most of it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/29/2017 4:31 PM

Do it ! At one time I had 3 bikes at once , then I gave one away to a kid in need and now he shreds it all the time , planning on getting a new bike here soon in a few paychecks then giving the one I'm riding away to my buddy who wants to get into bmx

|

3/29/2017 4:44 PM

Don't .

I had one and decided to use all my spares and build another "park" build .

Never used it . It seems fun , but you only use one bike mainly , you get comfortable on it . The other one will collect dust . If they're special part thens do it for a collection purpose , but that's it

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/29/2017 5:05 PM

I would and would not. I dunno.

It's always a sweet idea to have two fully working bikes at all times, but I'd want them identical, therefore defeating the purpose of having a second. But that's just me.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/29/2017 5:39 PM

I'd do it for sure. A dedicated trail rig sounds awesome!

I've been pondering building up a C.C.R., or Steadfast trail rig, or even possibly trying out a 22" wheel set-up.

Likely won't happen till my 30's though... lol

|

3/29/2017 8:51 PM

I have two BMX bikes. Other one doesnt get used but I still keep it as a spare bike. Honestly its a good frame, fork, and bars, but the geometry doesnt really make it possible for it to be a "trail rig" (unless I use a fat front tire and a skinny rear tire), so its been moved to my moms house (it just takes up space over at mine).

But at the same time Im also building up another bike as we speak, but its more of a special parts/collection bike than a ride-it-hard bike (even though I plan to spend the summer or fall riding it properly once its finished). I just sold my 26" DJ bike so I got some more space freed up.

I really need a rubbermaid fasttrak thing.....

|

3/29/2017 11:52 PM

Haha, mixed opinions on this! I could just get the frame, and swap the parts over depending what I'm riding. I'd want it to feel identical, but with a brake, and the sfa is pretty similar to my frame. But I'd be worried that it would take a couple of days of nibbling around just to get used to it each time I swap.

I can't really afford it anyway, maybe one day....

|

3/30/2017 1:54 AM

Was debating this the other day, always wanted a T1 Barcode but got a good deal on a Fiend Reynolds which I found too hard to turn down. Truth is I only use my existing bike maybe once a week, it just isn't warranted for the amount of money I'd plough into it.

|

3/30/2017 5:31 AM

If you do get a new frame to swap parts between then to make things easier, I suggest another bottom bracket and chain (since those are the most annoying to take off and put on).

Its inevitable that when having two bikes, one usually gets ridden while the other sits collecting dust. Some people justify it as being a bike for their buddies to ride.

|

3/30/2017 6:31 AM

If you can afford a whole other build I say go for it. You seem to be the type of guy who appreciates a dedicated setup that's tweaked to perfection for it's specific purpose / riding style. A few years ago I was riding dirt on weekends and an indoor park after work during the week. It was nice having one bike with tires seat height and gearing I liked at the dirt jumps. And another that was always clean and ready to go for the park. I was just swapping tires for a while but then I thought "I'm in my late 30's... I work hard.. I can afford it.. fuck it."

|

3/30/2017 7:05 AM

If your gonna do that just buy a used complete off Craig's to trash. I only run one bmx but I try to keep it as trail/street ready as possible. Maxxis holy rollers are good for this . I just throw my pegs on and off depending on where I'm riding.

|

3/30/2017 8:15 AM

Hahah im currently building a second bike as well. Thought it would be cool to have a bike for my girlfriend and for friends

|

3/30/2017 8:16 AM

I'd want both bikes to feel identical, my current bike feels dialed and I've got plenty of confidence on it. If only I went with removable mounts.... But then it wouldn't have its nice clean look when the brakes are off. Plus I hate the feeling of having a lever on my bars, so I probably wouldn't put a brake on the other bike either haha. I'll just have to put up with not having a brake, either man up and ride trails anyway, or convince my buddies to ride street with me once in a while

|

3/30/2017 11:13 AM

...I've got three lmao. One of them is trail specific but the other two have major differences in weight and geo, but are both street/park set-up. I honestly like the process of building em so do what you want. I dont think you'll regret it. Only one of them is new, the others are built from old parts

|