2 or 4 Piece bars

Related:
Create New Tag

4/29/2018 10:50 AM

I would like to know, because I bent my 2 piece bars. But I did go cheap on bars (Rant Sway Bars)... But what are the best/strongest and somewhat affordable 2 and 4 Piece bars. And I want them to have an option for 9" rise. Thank youwink

|

4/29/2018 11:38 AM

I think some Odyssey bars are 41therm with their lifetime guarantee. If you’ve bent bars, go with those.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/29/2018 11:51 AM

Any bars that are heat treated. They're mostly all the same, just different geometry and a different sticker. Rant Sway bars are not heat treated.

|

4/29/2018 12:14 PM

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/29/2018 12:27 PM

Check the description. Multi butted bars are lighter, straight gauge are heavier. You also get different gauges with straight gauge. The thicker they are the stronger they are. But multi butted are probably just as strong as thin straight gauge.

Most bars are heat treated these days. That's mostly to normalise the material after bending.

4 piece are technically more likely to fail, as there's more welds, especially if you buy light 4 piece. It also depends what angle the tubes have been cut at where they meet/end

|

4/29/2018 12:53 PM

If your going with 4 piece bars you gotta go with some haro Nyquist bars or some Hoffman low drags , the only 4 piece bars I think that look decent

|

4/29/2018 1:11 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Check the description. Multi butted bars are lighter, straight gauge are heavier. You also get different gauges with straight ...more

I like straight gauge it's a mental thing and I don't care how heavy the bars are I just want them as strong as possible

|

4/29/2018 1:13 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Check the description. Multi butted bars are lighter, straight gauge are heavier. You also get different gauges with straight ...more

Normalise the material after welding, you mean?

As for the technical side, theoretically, if they're heat treated and properly welded, both bars should be as resistant as each other.

However, due to the sharp bends (nearly 90) on the 4 piece bars, the stresses are much more localised than spread out (and that's why they crack there, due to the fatigue cycles being concentrated in the same spot- and not always because of the welds).

Which leads me to the following.

A bar with wider bends will last longer than a bar with shorter, more agressive (tighter) bends. The stresses and moments transfer more progressively in the material. Don't want to go through all the calculus as it's a pain, but you can trust the figures.

As for flex, the 2 piece bars flex more.

Look for a 2 piece, heat-treated, 13-butted bar and things should be good smile

Which leads me on to wonder why 4 piece bars still exist?

Rigidity? I would rather have it flex and absorb a lot of energy before it gets to my back (hmpf- Im saying this but I have 4 pc bars).

Looks? Well.. They're classic, and they're badass.



|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

4/29/2018 1:14 PM

Are s&m perfect 10s good bars, like are they strong enough/Heat treated

|

4/29/2018 1:17 PM

Rubberduck wrote:

Are s&m perfect 10s good bars, like are they strong enough/Heat treated

Depends on how tall you are.

Im totally sure that one of the most popular bars available today have questionable strength. Wish we could find out their specs somehow...

|

4/29/2018 1:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2018 1:41 PM

before choosing bars look into the geometry and specs of bars and how it would suit your riding best rather than grabbing bars based on looks or pieces. another thing to consider when thinking of rise is how tall is your stem and your fork because you can have a 10 inch bar on a cut down steer tube thats the same height as a 9 inch bar thats not cut

https://bmxunion.com/blog/lets-talk-about-bmx-handlebar-geometry/

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

4/29/2018 1:43 PM

Just get what you like look of. Imo the amount of bars out there is ludicrous

|

4/29/2018 2:14 PM

S&m fu bars are great. I've had them for 2 years and they're still going strong even after some really brutal slams. I recommend them.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

4/29/2018 2:17 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

before choosing bars look into the geometry and specs of bars and how it would suit your riding best rather than grabbing bars ...more

I feel that I can go bigger than 9" rise, I mean it's personal opinion. And I actually ride my bike and ride BMX. Unlike most kids with like s&m 11". Not being nasty just my statementgrin

|

4/29/2018 2:50 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Check the description. Multi butted bars are lighter, straight gauge are heavier. You also get different gauges with straight ...more

Skylight wrote:

Normalise the material after welding, you mean?

As for the technical side, theoretically, if they're heat treated and ...more

Nope. After bending. A good weld won't need normalising, hence very few frames are post weld heat treated. Bending the material, however, weakens it significantly.

|

4/29/2018 3:09 PM

If you ride hard then get a 2 piece. 4 piece of today are stronger than in the past, but it still has more welds and is more likely to fail than a 2 piece (If it breaks at all of course).

I don't ride too hard, but personally I prefer 2 piece because those 4 piece corners hurt me when my knees accidentally hit them.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

4/29/2018 3:13 PM

Rubberduck wrote:

I feel that I can go bigger than 9" rise, I mean it's personal opinion. And I actually ride my bike and ride BMX. Unlike most ...more

i feel you, im 6'4, i was on bsd raiders 10" then got new stem and fork and setup was too tall for me for so im back down on some 9" bars now feels good, my boys are same height as me and ride OG scerbo bars haha

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

4/29/2018 3:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2018 3:22 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Nope. After bending. A good weld won't need normalising, hence very few frames are post weld heat treated. Bending the ...more

Oh yeah, woops.

Bending=plastic deformation=creation of dislocations that need to be "soothed-out" (with heat treatment).

You were right, Steve. I went too fast.

However, I disagree with a good weld (by that I mean a good bead, not slow cooling/temperature control) not needing to be normalised.

All welds need to be heat-treated, if we are still talking 4130 and steel in general. In fact, all frames should be heat-treated; my guess for why they aren't is because of engineering compromising and budget reasons.

The stresses the average rider (such as I) inflict on the frame aren't high enough to warrant the need for heat-treatment (something else will break first, or we won't use up the whole life of the frame before buying another).

Compare the thickness and diameter of BMX frames to steel mountain bike frames and you'll truly see that our BMXes are overbuilt machines.

For the money part, here's proof. Docol R8 tubing is now being used instead of 4130 in dragster chassis and roll cages. Docol is ductile post-weld to the contrary of 4130 that snaps and cracks in the thermally affected zone. Heat treating custom made 4130 roll cages would cost a fortune.

Although the facts are well laid out, all this is out from my mech. eng course and not from practical experience. I would however like to see a non-heat treated weld be more ductile and have a higher yield than one that is; on the same material of course. If there's an example lying around, I would buy an airplane ticket to go see it.

Cheers.
Skylight.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

4/29/2018 5:43 PM

Im thinking about the 4 piece shadow crowbar SG (SG=Straight Gauge) bars. they are heat treated soo... Like, they good right?

|

4/29/2018 10:19 PM

If the welds are good on both 2/4 piece bars , they’ll last the same amount of time . You’ll bend bars before cracking them anyways . A quality weld won’t fail , even if there is more of them . It shouldn’t happen unless years and years and years of fatigue finally get to one .

- a welder

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/30/2018 12:00 AM

Skylight wrote:

Normalise the material after welding, you mean?

As for the technical side, theoretically, if they're heat treated and ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Nope. After bending. A good weld won't need normalising, hence very few frames are post weld heat treated. Bending the ...more

Skylight wrote:

Oh yeah, woops.

Bending=plastic deformation=creation of dislocations that need to be "soothed-out" (with heat treatment).

...more

As we're talking bmx. Post weld heat treated frames still crack. I'm yet to see any evidence that it's actually beneficial. Many brands post weld heat treated their frames when it was the cool thing to do, but their frames still cracked so they gave up on it.

|

4/30/2018 12:13 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

If the welds are good on both 2/4 piece bars , they’ll last the same amount of time . You’ll bend bars before cracking them ...more

Photo someone posted this on Facebook, these are shadow crow bars. Loads of speculation from other riders on the post but the general consensus from shop owners is they're having loads of 4 piece bars returned. I personally think this happened from welding over heating the material. Imagine this is the last place on the bars to be welded. There are awkward angles to get to. Meaning accidentally leaving the heat on would be a pretty simple mistake to make. Especially with the angle of the cap that's also been welded onto the open end. 2 welds very close.
It could be a fault with the material (there's a multi butted or straight gauge version of these bars. I'm not sure which these are. Let's assume multi butted). But quite a few shop owners were saying modern big 4 piece bars tend to break a lot easier.
|

4/30/2018 12:27 PM

I always recommend 2 peice over 4 when someone asks.

4 peice looks cool but they feel more stiff to me (in a bad way) and they seem more susceptible to breaking due to 6 welding points rather than the 2 for 2 peice.

Most people will never break their bars but I just like the extra mental security it gives me to run 2-peice.

|

4/30/2018 2:25 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

If the welds are good on both 2/4 piece bars , they’ll last the same amount of time . You’ll bend bars before cracking them ...more

grumpySteve wrote: Photo someone posted this on Facebook, these are shadow crow bars. Loads of speculation from other riders on the post but the ...more

That’s fucked but that’s a weird situation because it looks as if the weld didn’t form to the tubing , as if it didn’t penetrate the metal fully . That’s an odd case . The weld itself didn’t fully fail . I want to say that’s welders error , my best guess is that the tubing got heated up too much and then cooled too fast so it got brittle . That’s a bit hard to heat it up to that point with low diameter steel tig welding but who knows .

I’ve been running 9.5” 4 piece bars for like 2 years and put them through hell and have zero issues with them . I’m pretty set on as long as the welds are good the bars are good , but as mentioned having more welds means more chance for error

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/30/2018 2:35 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

If the welds are good on both 2/4 piece bars , they’ll last the same amount of time . You’ll bend bars before cracking them ...more

grumpySteve wrote: Photo someone posted this on Facebook, these are shadow crow bars. Loads of speculation from other riders on the post but the ...more
Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

That’s fucked but that’s a weird situation because it looks as if the weld didn’t form to the tubing , as if it didn’t ...more

Yeah, any time I've seen bars snap, it's always been on or near a weld. I've only ever bent one pair of bars and that's only because I threw my bike. I put it down to being super smooth. But in reality it's probably because I don't go big haha

|

5/2/2018 12:29 PM

Rubberduck wrote:

Im thinking about the 4 piece shadow crowbar SG (SG=Straight Gauge) bars. they are heat treated soo... Like, they good right?

Get the GT OG bars..just got them and they are awesome..was using 10" BSD raiders before. The side tubes are thicker and the top tube on it is 1 piece..they look awesome too

|

5/2/2018 1:06 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Get the GT OG bars..just got them and they are awesome..was using 10" BSD raiders before. The side tubes are thicker and the ...more

same, i bent my bsd raider bars on the right side haha

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

5/2/2018 5:03 PM

Rubberduck wrote:

Im thinking about the 4 piece shadow crowbar SG (SG=Straight Gauge) bars. they are heat treated soo... Like, they good right?

NateBrown62 wrote:

Get the GT OG bars..just got them and they are awesome..was using 10" BSD raiders before. The side tubes are thicker and the ...more

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

same, i bent my bsd raider bars on the right side haha

I never bent mine but they aren't very thick so I could see that happen ing easier than on other bars

|

5/2/2018 8:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/2/2018 8:01 PM

Funny story about the whole 4pc vs 2pc topic. Earlier at the skatepark I was discussing the same topic with someone saying I prefer 4pc over 2 because they look nicer IMO and this guy comes out of the woodwork calling me closed minded saying shit about how he had 15 pairs of bars or something implying I have no right to talk about bars and going off like I insulted his family or something. Then he just rides off all in a huff and I'm just sitting there like who the fuck pissed in his cheerios?

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

5/2/2018 8:15 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

I never bent mine but they aren't very thick so I could see that happen ing easier than on other bars

i have commitment issues and bailed on a wallride (was coming in way to hot) and when it hit the ground landed on bars and bent em

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten