2 piece bars vs 4 piece bars

Related:
Create New Tag

3/19/2016 6:47 AM

I want to know the difference between 4 piece bars and 2 piece?

|

3/19/2016 6:54 AM

Apparently 4 piece are stronger because there's less bends. All depends on the design and gauge of tubing though really. It's mainly just a looks thing. I'll always prefer 2 piece personally

|

3/19/2016 8:31 AM

I would think that 4 piece are more prone to snapping with more joints welded on them

|

3/19/2016 9:37 AM

It depends on a few things, gauge of tubing, size of bend, and with 4 piece the design. S&m promote the large bend radius as being stronger, which kind of makes sense as the angles aren't as harsh, the tube isn't bent as much in a small area. Some 4 piece have a cross bar that continues to the grip area (like Scerbo's) where the force is downward on the weld rather than trying to pull it apart. A lot of 2 piece bars I've seen snap usually go either at the bend, or where the weld is. Big long bars would have to be considerably stronger, usually by using thicker gauge tubing.
A lot of bars are multiple butted, which makes them strong and light on paper, but I personally wouldn't trust them over straight gauge (no real reason, just a mental thing).
I don't think I've ever seen snapped 4 piece first hand, but then there's a lot more 2 piece around, and always has been. I think snapping bars you've either got to be an absolute tank, or there's a manufacturing defect. Or they're just wafty bars.

|

3/19/2016 11:51 AM

Thanks for answering

|

3/19/2016 2:49 PM

I'd imagine they'd feel stiffer because they have another junction holding the sides together than having one piece bend and flex . I actually just got 4 piece bars , waiting for a stem to come and then I'll bring trying them out !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/19/2016 2:58 PM

4 piece are stiffer and more likely to crack or snap and 2 piece are more flexible and more likely to bend than to snap. Some two piece bars are still really stiff though. I know fit uses straight guage tubing on their bars and the ones i had had almost no flex. But they were also very heavy.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/19/2016 3:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/19/2016 3:28 PM

4-piece bars are trendy, so people get them.

2-piece bars are still perfectly good.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/19/2016 3:49 PM

Maybe trendy today but once upon a time we all rode 4pc bars, it was lame to have two piece. I still prefer the looks of 4pc bars, I really don't think one is stronger or better than the other.

|

3/20/2016 10:08 AM

If your going to go with the 4 piece , you gotta go with the Hoffman Lo drag bars

|

3/20/2016 1:58 PM

eskimojay wrote:

If your going to go with the 4 piece , you gotta go with the Hoffman Lo drag bars

I'm really thinking about a set of those, either those or the new GT 4pc bars if they ever come out.

|

3/24/2016 9:35 PM

Somewhere on vital i saw someone with a signature that said something along the lines of "4 piece bars are like getting a blowjob from an ugly girl, close your eyes and it feels the same."

|

"The best thing about riding is riding,being on your bike doing your own thing not really thinking about anything else, just riding" -Mark Webb

3/25/2016 2:11 AM

I'd rather bend bars than have them break. Same with flexing, I'd rather have some flex to cushion landing rather than too stiff, my wrists are already terrible at the ripe ol' age of 30.

|