2 piece cranks vs 3 piece

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2016 3:13 PM

I have 2 pc eclat aeons in 170mm and they rattle a lot when dropping the back end. Nothings wrong with the chain or bb, as they have both been replaced, and the chain is tight enough that it doesn't make any noise. My friend however has some blank cranks that are 3 pc, and make no noise when dropping the back end. I'm wondering if there's any way to dial my cranks so they make no noise, or if the reason is just because 3 pc are better made

|

4/19/2016 3:43 PM

I think your crank is fine, just take everything off clean the bb the cones and be generous with grease when putting evreything back together and you should be fine.
About the 2 pcs vs 3 pcs, I think both are fine and can allow you to have a dialed crank, 3 pieces can be better if you want spline drive.

|

4/19/2016 5:29 PM

If it's making a noise, it's not that them being a 2 piece or 3 piece crank is the issue. Something else is loose on your bike. Is your internal BB spacer installed properly and not rattling around? Check that. I have 2 piece cranks and they don't make any noise.

Neither one is better than the other, but 2 piece cranks have 1 bolt less to come loose so...

|

4/19/2016 6:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2016 6:30 PM

It maybe the pedals that are rattling.

After a while, pedals aren't as snug on the spindle compared to when you first got them.

Edit : holy fuck!!! sunday has more than 10k posts!!!
that's 2 wheelsets from vital right there...
Better get my posting on.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

4/19/2016 6:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2016 6:34 PM

one try kid wrote:

It maybe the pedals that are rattling.

After a while, pedals aren't as snug on the spindle compared to when you first got ...more

I'm getting them soon! wink

Broken & Dave both have more than me, I wonder if they've reached their 3rd yet haha.

That one dude JustRideBMX or whatever has like 25,000... 5 wheelsets!

|

4/19/2016 7:09 PM

25k = no life

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/20/2016 1:31 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If it's making a noise, it's not that them being a 2 piece or 3 piece crank is the issue. Something else is loose on your ...more

Well when I hold the cranks and drop the back end it's silent, and taking the bolt off and looking inside shows no play in the spacer

|

4/20/2016 3:43 AM

Your cranks are fine and Eclat is dope .

Also , 2 piece cranks are easy and my favourite , but you won't always get your setup . Like for example , I can't run a RHD spline drive sprocket because the 2 piece is on that side sad but they're strong and easy to maintain as mentioned .

3 piece you can go crazy with sprockets on each side . But they can be a little more difficult to get dialed and maintain , not much but still

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/20/2016 6:14 AM

Dylan_Jones wrote:

Well when I hold the cranks and drop the back end it's silent, and taking the bolt off and looking inside shows no play in the ...more

You'd have to take your cranks out to see if there's play in the spacer. Even then you can't really tell as taking the cranks out will relieve the lateral pressure on the bearings.
Where do you hold your cranks when you drop your bike?
Other than pedals and the tube spacer, there's not really any reason anything to do with the cranks or bb should rattle. It could be as simple as some dry grit inside your frame, or something completely unrelated. When you hold your cranks the bike won't bounce the same as it normally would. And wouldn't really be any different from standing on the pedals. Any noise will resonate through your frame and often sounds like it's something to do with the bb.

Strip your cranks off and bounce your bike. Check your pedals, put your bb back in and check the tube spacer, re assemble everything else with some grease. See if that helps

|

4/20/2016 10:14 AM

i think those cranks were recalled. It probably has something to do with the expanding spindle system. Contact eclat to get some new cranks

http://eclatbmx.com/publicnotice/

|

4/20/2016 11:44 AM

Haha oh shit you're right. Your cranks are probably rattling cause part of your spindle snapped off lolol

hit them up asap about the recall before this happens

Photo

|

4/20/2016 12:44 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

i think those cranks were recalled. It probably has something to do with the expanding spindle system. Contact eclat to get ...more

I'm not sure if eclat will accept new claims for this anymore- however my bike was originally a 2015 wtp envy which was recalled due to the problem as well. But for the most part I've fixed the problem- my back wheel was just a bit loose- and my pedals were too. I think one of my pedals axles may be stripped though, as tightening and loosening don't move the nut at all, which has left one of my pedals loose and the other tight. Even if it is stripped- I'll be getting some kingpins soon anyway

|

4/20/2016 2:41 PM

Mo pieces mo problems

|

4/20/2016 5:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/20/2016 5:56 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

25k = no life

Depends on how long you've been on here, I am over 16k posts, but have been here 8 years coming up next month. That's roughly 2k posts a YEAR, divide that by 365.25 (days per year) and you end up with an average of 5.48 posts per day.

25k posts, he has been on here 8 years as well. That's 3125 posts a year, divide that by 365.25 (days per year) and you get 8.56 posts per day.

You can hammer out 5 posts in like 3 minutes. Not really no life there when you average it out. You spend more time pooping than you would posting.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/20/2016 6:06 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

25k = no life

You joined vital 7 days before i did and you have 4 thousand more posts than i do...

You no lifer...

tongue

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

4/23/2016 7:03 AM

What's all the roar about post count? I saw someone mention x amount of post equals a set of rims? If this is the case I will be posting all day!

|