20.3 donnachie frame with odyssey R25 forks?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2017 2:24 AM

So i just took the brakes off my bike the other day after having it for 3 years and i looked up the stock frame geometry and realized i need a way shorter bike because my TT is 20.8 and my chainstay is 14.75 and the Headtube angle is a 74.5 and its really setup for airing out quarters and flowing on some dirt trails and im more of a street/park kinda person so i figure the 20.3 Donnachie frame would be good since the headtube angle is 75.5 and the chainstay can be slammed to 12.5 and the R25 forks will shorten the wheelbase even more but maybe it will be too short. Let me know your thoughts on this. I'm 5'5 and weigh 115 for reference. P.s. I would consider an LZ frame since that frame has steep geometry but i don't wanna look like a tool.

|

3/28/2017 2:39 AM

id say pick the best middle ground. too steep and riding fast isnt as stable. 20.5-21 frame with 13-13.5 chainstay will be plenty responsive and not sacrifice stability for manuals and high speeds. steep headtube plus steep forks equals over the bars more. id say 75 headtube 25mm fork or 75.5/32mm but its all personal preference anyways

|

3/28/2017 3:41 AM

chiefndaily wrote:

id say pick the best middle ground. too steep and riding fast isnt as stable. 20.5-21 frame with 13-13.5 chainstay will be plenty responsive and not sacrifice stability for manuals and high speeds. steep headtube plus steep forks equals over the bars more. id say 75 headtube 25mm fork or 75.5/32mm but its all personal preference anyways

Hmm alright i think ill go with a 20.6 with the odyssey R32's if its gonna be too twitchy

|

3/28/2017 5:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2017 5:02 AM

Why are you going so extreme? Anything under 13" in back is just too short. I personally like my 75.5 head tube angle with my 30mm forks feels good, but my next frame I'm thinking 75.
Look into the fit benny. It 12.8-13.1. Its on sale right now because he left fit. any shorter, and your really gonna limit your terrain options.

|

3/28/2017 9:32 AM

The ALVX feels crazy twitchy, if you're looking for that. Rode the exact dimensions you're looking into right now, and it's nuts. You feel like looping out all the time and backwards manuals take mad precision, as well as most back wheel stuff. Added with R25 forks and it'll be just crazy, IMO.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

3/28/2017 10:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2017 10:10 AM

I don't personally agree with what was said above.I actually ride an alvx and I love it. It really is not "too" twitchy. Yes it is responsive, no it's not deadly. Look at alex donnachie, he goes huge on the frame. And I have only looped out once unexpectedly on a feeble easy backlash. My friends really into jumps and I ride them too and it actually feels better in the air than my sound wave did. I do think that if you want to do lots of nose tricks go with the 32mm forks as it will make your balance point larger. Oh and if you like the lz frame but not lz than get the ballast. It is the same frame just without the name on it.

|

3/28/2017 10:30 AM

ALVX will be a huge difference , don't get it . It'll feel like going from a. Downhill bike to a scooter

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/28/2017 11:41 AM

I agree with rideboarder. Don't knock it till you try it

|

3/28/2017 12:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2017 12:02 PM

There's a BSD ALVX v2 20.3TT on ebay right now cheap, like $160. I've thought about getting it. I am about 5'7" and I actually think the ALVX is a little too big TT wise for me, but I would love the short chainstays as I'm used to flatland frames. Again my preference for small short frames is not just a product of my height (which is similar to yours), but rather what I'm used to riding. Just figured I'd put it on your radar if you were looking to get a good deal on that frame on ebay.Here's a link to the listing

|

references: teachbmxcharlie (vital), you (globalflat), bhaverchuck (globalflat), diggerbrown (globalflat), johnu773 (globalflat), richiequamen (globalflat), DiabloM3 (globalflat), christianhethemurray (globalflat), ground2air (globalflat), hboost (globalflat), jsoh (globalflat)