20 or 24 ?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/2/2018 1:54 PM

30 years since my BMX days.. recently a friend got a Fairdale Taj 26'' and got me wanting to get a bmx bike again!
tried out the 26'' Taj and really just felt too big..
I'm 5.7 so thinking can I go back to a 20 inch? maybe something with a longer top tube?
will I be able to cruise occasionally with the seat post at the highest setting? (all new bmx bikes that I've seen online have the seat all the way down..) checked with local bike shops but looks like this region is all about mountain bikes.. so not much I could try (other than maybe finding a used one?)
I've also checked the 24'' (again online only, nothing local..) which should be ok for some cruising but fear would still be big?/ not the bmx of my youth..
lmk what you think - thanks!

|

1/2/2018 2:45 PM

Its a toughie that you can't try other BMX bikes out at your local. I'd potentially look towards buying something used just to try it out. Also, 20" bikes are mostly designed to be ridden while standing up so you would need to get a new longer seatpost.

|

1/2/2018 3:00 PM

I’m 5’7” and just built a 24. I have a S&M Long Johnson seat post. When I am cruising to the park, I have it at it highest point and it is rideable sitting down. Not 26er comfy but it works. 300mm seat post and then when you wanna shred, drop it down.

|

If you build it, they will come

1/2/2018 3:11 PM

It depends on what you want to do with it really. If it's just cruising a 24 would be good. But a longer 20" would be just as good really. I built up a 24" street mtb a few years ago as a fun commuting bike. I changed a lot on it to make it feel like a proper bmx until I just swapped it for a bmx. That's how I got back into riding!

|

1/2/2018 3:56 PM

LS1982 wrote:

I’m 5’7” and just built a 24. I have a S&M Long Johnson seat post. When I am cruising to the park, I have it at it highest ...more

was ready to get a 24'' se so cal flyer but having second thoughts if somewhat doable with a 20..

|

1/2/2018 4:01 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

It depends on what you want to do with it really. If it's just cruising a 24 would be good. But a longer 20" would be just as ...more

wont be cruising much.. but would just want to have the option to sort of cruise if needed.. not sure if I'll be able to do any jumps like I used to back in the day!
I was also thinking a longer 20'' with maybe a long seat post might work but problem is there is nothing to try locally

|

1/2/2018 4:05 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Its a toughie that you can't try other BMX bikes out at your local. I'd potentially look towards buying something used just to ...more

yeah I may have to go with a used 20'' just to try out.. with some luck I may find one with a longer top tube
man I just wish I could make a 20 work..

|

1/2/2018 4:25 PM

back to the future wrote:

yeah I may have to go with a used 20'' just to try out.. with some luck I may find one with a longer top tube
man I just wish ...more

FWIW, I'm 6'3" and could sit down and cruise on my bike with no problems...

That Mongoose Legion L100 with a 320mm pivitol seat post might be something to look at.

|

1/2/2018 4:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2018 4:36 PM

man I just wish ...more

Sit in our cars. Sit in front of the TV. Sit and look at our phones. Sit at work. Sit and veg. Sit sit sit sit sit.

Get a 20", slam that seat and ride - standing - your body will thank you. I'm 56 and it's the most awesome exercise.

|

1/2/2018 5:40 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

FWIW, I'm 6'3" and could sit down and cruise on my bike with no problems...

That Mongoose Legion L100 with a 320mm pivitol ...more

I just checked your bike, you're 6'3'' and can cruise, there's hope!

|

1/2/2018 5:56 PM

Furyus George wrote:

Sit in our cars. Sit in front of the TV. Sit and look at our phones. Sit at work. Sit and veg. Sit sit sit sit sit.

Get a ...more

lol! sounds like a 20'' it must be

been drooling over this all day

|

1/2/2018 6:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2018 6:12 PM

5'6" and been away from bmx for 30ish years too. I just picked one up with 21" top tube. I like it so far but have not had a lot of time on it. It will get a 300mm post (prob cut it down a little), a pivotal seat, and a Salsa Flip-Lock collar for on the fly adjustment.
The Fit 22 felt real stable just cruising around. It may suit you being in between.

|

1/2/2018 6:32 PM

At 5'7", you can definitely fit on a 20". Again, it depends on what your are planning on doing with the bike. You could certainly go with a 24" but that's pushing it. Honestly, a 22 is better, but I still don't think it's needed. There are plenty of 20's that you could pick up cheap. I just bought used Fit PK3 for $140. It's got a 20.75" tt & would fit you. I also found an SE Wildman X-pert for $70. Also a good size for your height.

|

1/2/2018 8:41 PM

there are now bmx bikes with 22 inch wheels. They roll a little faster than 20 inch wheels. Suck up a little more bumps than 20 inch wheels. but they don't have that 'big wheel feeling' that a 24 inch wheel has.

Might be worth looking into.

Either way, welcome back! smile

|

1/3/2018 1:26 AM

Sweet! The only thing wrong with that bike is that it never gets ridden!

|

1/3/2018 4:00 AM

I started exactly the same... 45 years old and been back on a bmx for 2 years now... I came straight from a mountain bike so assumed I would have to go with a long frame (21.5"), big wheels etc just so it would feel comfortable... either that or build up a retro bike (but could never afford to recreate the GT PFT I used to have!)

But no, after a few frame swaps/trades I have ended up with a 20.75" Subrosa OM, fat BSD tires, top load stem... 4 piece bars etc...modern bikes are just so well designed that the older stuff is just obsolete.. (I am 5' 6" btw)

And the feeling of cruising along on a BMX at 45 feels like a bit of a middle finger up to society... childish I know :-)

Whatever you end up with though, hope you enjoy it!

|

1/3/2018 8:02 AM

Furyus George wrote:

Get a ...more

Furyus George wrote:

I (basically) had that exact same bike back in the day. Mine had Araya 7x wheels, double butted SS spokes and sealed Phil Wood hubs. Other than that, pretty close to the same. I ended up cracking it & traded the cracked frame for a Chromoly Quadangle.

|

1/4/2018 9:01 AM

Curt D wrote:

5'6" and been away from bmx for 30ish years too. I just picked one up with 21" top tube. I like it so far but have not had a ...more

looks like lots of come backs!
I will most likely look for a 20 inch with 21'' top tube and long seat post

|

1/4/2018 9:04 AM

phildaw1972 wrote:

I started exactly the same... 45 years old and been back on a bmx for 2 years now... I came straight from a mountain bike so ...more

lol yeah I'm 43 and so looking forward to ride again!

|

1/4/2018 9:07 AM

Furyus George wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I (basically) had that exact same bike back in the day. Mine had Araya 7x wheels, double butted SS spokes and sealed Phil Wood ...more

that bike has me dreaming of a retro bmx!
I've been researching a lot online, theres so many options and setups these days I'm going crazy!

|

1/4/2018 11:00 AM

Furyus George wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I (basically) had that exact same bike back in the day. Mine had Araya 7x wheels, double butted SS spokes and sealed Phil Wood ...more

I've been researching a lot online, theres so many options and setups these days ...more

Yeah, the two that come to mind that you can get right now (that are "freestyle" bikes) are the Hutch Trickstar and the Haro Master. Both are sweet! BUT both are EXPENSIVE!

|

1/4/2018 12:14 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I've been researching a lot online, theres so many options and setups these days ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, the two that come to mind that you can get right now (that are "freestyle" bikes) are the Hutch Trickstar and the Haro ...more

I've been looking nonstop.. what about this one https://www.albes.com/gt-bikes-2018-pro-performer-bike/

|

1/4/2018 12:21 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, the two that come to mind that you can get right now (that are "freestyle" bikes) are the Hutch Trickstar and the Haro ...more

I've been looking nonstop.. what about this one https://www.albes.com/gt-bikes-2018-pro-performer-bike/

Yeah, If you dig it, why not? Granted, some of the "features" aren't really applicable these days (the downtube bend at the head tube area isn't used like it used to be.... the "platform area" etc...) but who cares?! It seems to be built right (full cr-mo, etc...).

|

1/4/2018 12:32 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, If you dig it, why not? Granted, some of the "features" aren't really applicable these days (the downtube bend at the ...more

well yeah not liking the down tube bend much

|

1/5/2018 8:20 PM

Get a modern 20 with decent length toptube and good bar height - you'll probably love it. I'm 46 and have two 20s and a 24. The 24 is fun to cruise on but if I had to choose one it would DEFINITELY be the 20. Everything is easier on it.

When I got back into riding a few years back I made the mistake of getting a 20.75" toptube (I'm 5'10"). So my next 20 I went with a 21" toptube and taller bars too. Feels great. And it's a modern retro Haro so it looks like 1985.

|

1/6/2018 5:42 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That it looks so badass. I want one myself. I'd say get it. It should hold up really good. Has everything you would want, even some aftermarket parts like the cranks.

|

1/6/2018 10:43 AM

Furyus George wrote:

Get a ...more

This!

Standing is the only way to ride a bike.
Plus, who wants sweat to show up on their ass? laughing

To the OP, 10" bars, stem with 34mm height and 52mm reach and a 21' TT will be perfect

|

1/6/2018 12:24 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

That it looks so badass. I want one myself. I'd say get it. It should hold up really good. Has everything you would want, even ...more

thats it I'm gonna get it, so stoked!

|

1/6/2018 12:46 PM

Awesome! Be sure to post pics

|

1/6/2018 12:52 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

This!

Standing is the only way to ride a bike.
Plus, who wants sweat to show up on their ass? laughing

To the OP, 10" bars, stem ...more

That seems excessively long and tall for someone who's 5'7. I'd have said 9" bars with that stem and a 20.8" toptube.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson