20" or 24" for tall rider?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/22/2016 11:15 PM

I am 6' 2" an 210 lbs. Rode for the past 5 years but sold my bikes a few months ago because I thought I lost interest. Well.. I was wrong.. I miss riding and want to know which bike I should get next. Ive never really been into park (because I always just sucked at it lol) I mainly just ride at my local bmx track and occasionally the wheel mill in Pittsburgh. Typically just the pump track or some dirt. Which would be best suited for my need? a 24" or 20"? Im afraid that I will buy a 24" and regret i didnt get the 20" and vice versa. Lmk what you guys think

|

1/23/2016 12:51 AM

If you're just pumping about on a track, or considering racing, a 24 might be good. However, they're a lot more sluggish when doing any tricks. I'm 6' and ride 20" wheels, 21" top tube and 9" bars and suits me fine. I know someone who's 6'2 who races 20". You can get tt lengths up to 21.5 or 22 which will make a fair bit of difference.
There's also 22" wheeled bmxs on the market which I've heard nothing but good things about for taller riders, so it might be worth looking into them too.
The only draw back to longer frames or 22" is you'll have to custom build as you can't buy them complete, which will work out expensive. But you'll have a real nice bike by the end of it

|

1/23/2016 1:58 AM

im 6'4 and i ride a 21 inch frame, 10 inch bars with 35mm rise steam / 54mm reach, im actually looking on getting a 21.5 frame so that gives you an idea, if you plan to do tricks and stuff get a 20 inch bike but with a 21.25 toptube

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

1/23/2016 2:28 AM

THE WHEEL SIZE DON'T DEFINE BIKE SIZE.

You can have a lot more room on a 20" bike than on on 24" or even some mtb's, you just need to pick the right parts, first, a good sized frame around 21.5" (top tube size), also a big bar/stem can play alot in the roomy feeling of a bike

This pic perfectly illustrates it.
Photo

|

1/23/2016 7:48 AM

20" ftw!

6'3" on a 21.5" frame with 10" rise bars.

You may be able to get away with a 21.25", but Id go 21.5" with 9"-10" rise bars.

S&M has some dirt spec frames in 21.5" frame sizes and also 22" wheel frames and parts.

|

1/23/2016 7:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2016 8:02 AM

I would suggest riding a 24 before buying one, if at all possible. I would say the same about a 22, but there are fewer of them around so that may not be easy. At any rate, if you have a local track then getting a lap on someone's 24 might not be too hard.
I bought a 24 without ever having ridden one and don't exactly regret it...its a sweet ride, fast, and it jumps OK, but I started thinking about a smaller bike within a week, and ended up building a 22 also.

|

1/23/2016 1:08 PM

Francky wrote:

You can have a lot more room on a 20" bike than on on 24" or even some mtb's, you just ...more

All that pic illustrates is how different mtb geometry is to bmx. They have a much higher front end to accommodate sus forks, and a lower bb, to add stability. A lot of people that have gone to 22" have said they wouldn't go back. 22" especially, are aimed at taller riders. Most cruisers have a more relaxed geo as they're based around racing, so they'll also be longer to add stability. Hence me suggesting them if the op plans to only use them on tracks.
Obviously, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with 20" though, just that any more than 21.25 is hard to come across

|

1/23/2016 2:12 PM

Can't really say much that hasn't been already said so I'll just chime in as another happy tall 20" rider. I'm 6' 1" and 180lbs and for doing more tippy tappy tricks and throwing the bike around a 20" is probably best. Personally I ride a 21" frame with 9.25" bars chicago'd just a bit.

But if you really just want to go fast and boost at parks a bigger bike might be a better fit especially if you don't want to do much grinding. You might even want to consider a rigid 26" DJ bike.

|

1/23/2016 4:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2016 5:06 AM

Francky wrote:

You can have a lot more room on a 20" bike than on on 24" or even some mtb's, you just ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

All that pic illustrates is how different mtb geometry is to bmx. They have a much higher front end to accommodate sus forks, ...more

Yes it´s an mtb frame and it's different but imagine to instead of pointing the top of the headtube the "reach" point the handlbar, so the horizontal distance from that point to the bottom bracket will define the bike size, of course combinated with the bar height "stack". So whatever if you put a high mtb frame with a tiny nearly flat bar or a low bmx frame with a big bar, the room on the bike can be the exact same, and this completely don't interfer with wheel size.

For the 20" vs 22", it really depend of what you are searching for but the choice don't have to be made like "I'm tall, 22">20", I need the 22".
This is why some members recommend 21.25" top tubes (at least 21.5" will suit better) and big 9"+ bars.

About geometry a 22" will always feel more stable than a 20" but wathever the wheel size, you can go for stable or twitchy frame, depending on chainstays lenght, bb height, headtube angle... and also the choice of parts (fork offset, crank size...)

I'm personnally 6.1" / 200lbs and I ride a 20" bike with a 21.5" frame and a 8.75" bar (with a high rise stem and 10mm of spacers), I run it a tiny bit forward.
I had recently retry my old frame, which had the exact same geo execpt it´s only a 21" top tube. Result I felt cramped and the bike nosedive like shit.

|