2000s was the pinnacle of bmx, change my mind

Related:
Create New Tag

9/6/2019 9:46 PM

2000-2010 was the greatest era of bmx. Change my mind.

|

fack off

9/6/2019 11:27 PM

2003-2010 because bikes were still shit before then. 2003/04 was when all the innovation started (albeit, not all good. But it was interesting).

However, bmx was awesome 95/96/97 too, with trails blowing up, and videos like lights out and thunder coming out.

|

9/7/2019 3:01 AM

Riding right now is better than being nostalgic of "good old days", change my mind.

|

9/7/2019 3:12 AM

|

9/7/2019 8:16 AM

Francky wrote:

Riding right now is better than being nostalgic of "good old days", change my mind.

So many more legendary riders from the mid 2000’s that still haven’t been bettered. Riding isn’t better now, there’s just more. More tricks in a combo doesn’t make it better, especially when no one has any style now.

|

9/7/2019 8:20 AM

Those where good times , back when contests where happening all over the place , there’s too many jams these days not enough contests with cold hard cash on the line to make dudes send it , people don’t go as big when they’re risking it for a t shirt and a set of grips

|

9/7/2019 9:08 AM

Francky wrote:

Riding right now is better than being nostalgic of "good old days", change my mind.

.pegless. wrote:

So many more legendary riders from the mid 2000’s that still haven’t been bettered. Riding isn’t better now, there’s just more. More tricks in a combo doesn’t make it better, especially when no one has any style now.

I mean’t YOU riding right now is better.

But to answer on what you described, this is just one side of riding, the slow curb tech and manual riding, that I don’t really like btw, on the other side there’s still guys like Larry Edgar boosting shits and plenty of stylish riders out there, Dakota Roche, Jason Watts, Kevin Peraza, Simone Barraco, Reed Stark... and so much more.

And in the end, fuck it I’m just gonna watch the not so good riding of these days on the battle of Hastings.

|

9/7/2019 11:42 AM

Francky wrote:

Riding right now is better than being nostalgic of "good old days", change my mind.

.pegless. wrote:

So many more legendary riders from the mid 2000’s that still haven’t been bettered. Riding isn’t better now, there’s just more. More tricks in a combo doesn’t make it better, especially when no one has any style now.

Francky wrote:

I mean’t YOU riding right now is better.

But to answer on what you described, this is just one side of riding, the slow curb tech and manual riding, that I don’t really like btw, on the other side there’s still guys like Larry Edgar boosting shits and plenty of stylish riders out there, Dakota Roche, Jason Watts, Kevin Peraza, Simone Barraco, Reed Stark... and so much more.

And in the end, fuck it I’m just gonna watch the not so good riding of these days on the battle of Hastings.

Not just tech riding, the same goes for park. Add another bar spin or another whip, with no style at all.

There’ll never be another Edwin, or aitken, or Schwartz, or Hamilton, or McRae, or gonz (and they’re just the riders I liked. Not to mention the guys like nyquist, mirra, miron, Hoffman etc.). Riders stood out for their individual style so much more back then.
All street riders do pretty much the same thing now, with the same style. Same with park, and even trails. I can barely tell one rider from the next

|

9/7/2019 12:00 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Not just tech riding, the same goes for park. Add another bar spin or another whip, with no style at all.

There’ll never be another Edwin, or aitken, or Schwartz, or Hamilton, or McRae, or gonz (and they’re just the riders I liked. Not to mention the guys like nyquist, mirra, miron, Hoffman etc.). Riders stood out for their individual style so much more back then.
All street riders do pretty much the same thing now, with the same style. Same with park, and even trails. I can barely tell one rider from the next

Yeah tech park is boring too, I hate Logan ‘‘robot’’ Martin kind of riding.

Yet so much has been done now, it’s harder to be unique.

|

9/7/2019 12:30 PM

Francky wrote:

I mean’t YOU riding right now is better.

But to answer on what you described, this is just one side of riding, the slow curb tech and manual riding, that I don’t really like btw, on the other side there’s still guys like Larry Edgar boosting shits and plenty of stylish riders out there, Dakota Roche, Jason Watts, Kevin Peraza, Simone Barraco, Reed Stark... and so much more.

And in the end, fuck it I’m just gonna watch the not so good riding of these days on the battle of Hastings.

.pegless. wrote:

Not just tech riding, the same goes for park. Add another bar spin or another whip, with no style at all.

There’ll never be another Edwin, or aitken, or Schwartz, or Hamilton, or McRae, or gonz (and they’re just the riders I liked. Not to mention the guys like nyquist, mirra, miron, Hoffman etc.). Riders stood out for their individual style so much more back then.
All street riders do pretty much the same thing now, with the same style. Same with park, and even trails. I can barely tell one rider from the next

Francky wrote:

Yeah tech park is boring too, I hate Logan ‘‘robot’’ Martin kind of riding.

Yet so much has been done now, it’s harder to be unique.

I don’t think it’s harder. Look at trey jones and Eric lichtenberger (although they ride fairly similarly, similar tricks. They still have their own style).
I think it’s a general lack of imagination, and a “I want to get good so I’ll learn tricks” mentality.
I elaborated massively on this, then realised no one’s really going to care about 4 paragraphs of me moaning about boring styleless riding

|

9/7/2019 12:51 PM

Always the same FOS opinions, why forums suck.

Change my mind.

|

9/7/2019 1:58 PM

Its great for you to express your positive feelings . No one needs to change your mind well because in your hearts of hearts , that is what you feel.
Just like in baseball , football, soccer and other formats , you have your great eras and legends.
Back than BMX had magazines now they have Instagram.
I do appreciate the past riders and I do embrace the new riders. Different strokes for different folks.
Let’s not forget , for some riders BMX IS LIFE!
BMX has had its struggles , so let’s be positive towards the new riders and embrace all and everything to do with BMX.

|

9/7/2019 1:58 PM

Eric Elstran.

|

9/7/2019 2:03 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Eric Elstran.

Mows my lawn

|

9/7/2019 2:34 PM

Dan Lacey, Dan Kruk..... My Mom, who says no

|

9/7/2019 4:50 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Eric Elstran.

eskimojay wrote:

Mows my lawn

Lol

|

9/7/2019 8:06 PM

Still regularly watch the early animal vids, can’t beat that classic street style. Bikes are so much better these days tho, can’t deny that.

|

Ride everything

9/7/2019 8:11 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Those where good times , back when contests where happening all over the place , there’s too many jams these days not enough contests with cold hard cash on the line to make dudes send it , people don’t go as big when they’re risking it for a t shirt and a set of grips

To be fair, dudes were sending it at BOH best trick

|

Ride everything

9/7/2019 9:03 PM

Disagree on the bikes being better. I hate all the new stuff: huge tires, massive bars, topload stems, long tall frames, 20 freecoasters that are all the same. I’d take a bike from 2007-9 over most current trend bikes.

Look at dans comp in 2010 you could find a bunch of different parts for whatever style you rode. Bikes were lighter also.

I’d say best years for bmx were 2004-2010 so much iconic stuff, parts, edits/ videos and also brands that aren’t really making product anymore.

As far as media I don’t follow anything new not too into it.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/8/2019 12:28 AM

Four wrote:

Disagree on the bikes being better. I hate all the new stuff: huge tires, massive bars, topload stems, long tall frames, 20 freecoasters that are all the same. I’d take a bike from 2007-9 over most current trend bikes.

Look at dans comp in 2010 you could find a bunch of different parts for whatever style you rode. Bikes were lighter also.

I’d say best years for bmx were 2004-2010 so much iconic stuff, parts, edits/ videos and also brands that aren’t really making product anymore.

As far as media I don’t follow anything new not too into it.

Yep. Bikes haven’t really changed since then. Maybe a little stronger from not being as bothered about weight, so there’s more straight gauge tubing, less cut outs in stems etc. But nothing noticeable to the average rider. There’s not much selection these days. Loads of brands doing the same thing. A couple of hub innovations in the last year, but I can’t see a benefit to them yet.


Morgan wade sent it at boh though......
Oh wait, he’s not from the current era of bmx......

|

9/8/2019 12:33 AM

BMX is good, end of.

This is an argument that would continue forever. Basically, whatever ‘era’ you were getting really into BMX in will always be the best to you, because that’s when you had the best memories! Fast forward 10 - 15 years and there’ll be a post on an forum saying ‘BMX was the best between 2015 - 2025!) and there’ll be people reminiscing about the days when Logan Martin was just doing quad whips or whatever and all these 10 whip 1080’s these new dudes are doing sucks!

For me, 2000-2010 was when I was in school (for the first part anyway!) riding was everything to me, everything was new and exciting and I had zero other commitments or stresses in life. So because of that it was the best era for me personally, but that doesn’t make it the best era ever! It’s all subjective.

|

9/8/2019 1:40 AM

^ That's exactly it.

I'll go ahead and say the most significant historic era was the late 80's into early 90's with the freestyle era exploding and really taking the limelight which helped to define the future of the sport. Riding has seen an endless evolution since then and history isn't about competition.

|

9/8/2019 2:48 AM

A lot of guys on another forum say the 80's era was best.

But I agree the best era is neither old, middle or new school. It's in school that was best.

|

9/8/2019 8:05 PM

I started riding in 2009. My favorite style of riding is the early 2000’s animal street era. Metal pegs, small bars, cassetes, even straight cable brakes, and my bike has got it all! It’s kinda like a late midschool build with modern frame geo. But basically my point is that my favorite style of riding mostly happened before i started riding. If the style we think is the best always comes from what was popular when we were coming up, then my favorite rider would be stevie churchill, and that would just be ridiculous

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/8/2019 10:17 PM

2012 was the best time for bmx.
its the only time i remember because i started smoking weed in 2013 and can’t remember much past that...

|

13 years old

9/9/2019 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2019 9:18 AM

Francky wrote:

Riding right now is better than being nostalgic of "good old days", change my mind.

.pegless. wrote:

So many more legendary riders from the mid 2000’s that still haven’t been bettered. Riding isn’t better now, there’s just more. More tricks in a combo doesn’t make it better, especially when no one has any style now.

Riding is just more technical now, like anything the standards change. Now a days a regular ice or peg down a rail go kind of unnoticed unless there is a bar out. Nothing wrong with either of them, but one is definitely more tech-heavy/foxused than the other.

|

9/9/2019 9:25 AM

Who cares. You’re just riding a bicycle

|

9/9/2019 10:04 AM

Our bmx just posted tom justices Fufanu from battle of Hastings with the tag largest fufanu ever ?

Don’t get me wrong it was sick as hell and I’ve been a huge Tom justice fan for a while , but josh Heino doing a fufanu on the back of a vert ramp in road fools 8 came to mind right away when I seen that

|

9/11/2019 7:30 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Lost it.

Amazing.

Also 100% me.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/11/2019 8:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2019 8:08 AM

For me the beginning of Standard Byke Co. was the best era. With standard marking the beginnings of what was appealing to me most at the time; racing was slowly dying, dirt jumping was coming into the mainstream, and props video magazines being the fore front of media marked the highest personal stoke levels for me. Today I think the bikes are better, and I love the riding style more now than then(94ish to 98ish) but there was something magical when I saw my first Props vhs and from there forward Bmx was al I ever wanted to do. . Im incredibly grateful to have gotten back into it in a time when I can just jump online and watch tons of amazing Bmx content.

|