22mm Spline Drive not fitting

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2017 5:22 PM

Can anyone tell me why my Premium spline drive sprocket doesn’t fit my Animal Akimbo cranks ? Both are 22mm spline drive and both are 48 spline . I know there’s different sized splines which is what I’m guessing , but I don’t think I tried to install it wrong . I know they can be tight at times .

As well , can anyone tell me if Fit FAF tires are going to discontinued ? I don’t think so but 1 out of 4 on the product section says it is . I imagine it’s just a kevlar bead or something .

Also Merry Christmas to everyone , hope everyone enjoys the day and gets the BMX goodies you all want

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/24/2017 5:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2017 5:29 PM

Hmm that's strange... my 22mm spline drive Odyssey Fang sprocket fits my Shadow Killer Cranks perfectly.... maybe you're right about different sized splines... And I've also really wanted to know about the Fit FAF tires as well, I heard from people that they're being discontinued and the Vital review section thing also said that they're discontinued...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/24/2017 5:28 PM

Is it legit not fitting or is it just super hard to start? Cause I'd imagine the tolerances for that are pretty tight so it might just be hard to get on

They're not discontinued, I just checked the US distributor and FAF tires are back in stock finally. They seem to run out quickly though, I sure fuckin hope they don't get discontinued, I love that tire. I had to resort to riding Fly Rampera tires (similar tread) cause they never had FAF tires in stock when I needed them

|

12/24/2017 5:52 PM

I tried putting it on at my works shop like 5 months ago and it just didn’t seem to want to even try and get pressed on the spindle even by a little bit . Sometimes they usually catch in place and you know it’s sort of on , but it didn’t even seem to do that . I might try again sometime this week or so , I hate how much weight my solid primo guard is , and I’m pretty sure it’s bent as I installed in correctly and made sure to tighten the sprocket bolt last after the crank , and there’s no play . Plus bikes without guarded sprockets looo so good , it’s almost as if I got used to guarded sprockets .

And with FAF tires they seem sort of rare to the tires shops actually carry , only one near by carries them occasionally by they have smaller sizes than what I want and always in weird blue wall / white wall varieties which I don’t really care for . I’ve ridden them a couple times and want to get into more knobby / treaded tires , slicks are just getting boring for me . I hope they aren’t getting discontinued or less stock , I feel as if every rider has had FAF tires , there’s so much heritage in them I think .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/24/2017 8:18 PM

Have you tried a rubber mallet or deadblow?

|

12/24/2017 10:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 1:24 AM

FaFs are rare? My lbs literally has a stockpile of them. I'm dead serious, when I went to get tires a month or so back there was literally racks of them in different sizes and colors it was insane but lucky because that's what I came to get. I guess because everyone here just wants donnasqueaks and cult x vans tires.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

12/25/2017 1:15 AM

Try freezing the spindle and boiling the sprocket?

|

Hmmm

12/25/2017 2:28 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Try freezing the spindle and boiling the sprocket?

Yeah I've heard heating up the splined washer thing then pressing it on with some kind of home made press is the only way to get some of them on because they're so tight.

I thought faf's were already discontinued, they aren't easy to find over here. And I heard the ta was like a replacement for them. But they've got to be one of the most popular tyres on the market, so it wouldn't surprise me if fit changed their mind

|

12/25/2017 12:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 12:15 PM

FAFs have never been discontinued, only the kevlar versions. Which sucks because they were the shit, super light and no less durable than a regular FAF. Although I've found that Donnasqueaks are pretty close in weight and are essentially the same tread pattern, and also super durable.

And spline drive sprockets are a bitch. I wouldn't think the splines would be different, but they definitely are a super snug fit. I know a ton of people tried returning Tree sprockets for "not fitting", and it was always recommended to just use a big socket to beat them on. Also doesn't hurt to try heating up the spline drive adapter.

The splines wear a bit over time so it should come off a little easier than it goes on. Definitely put grease and new bearings in your bottom bracket, could be awhile till the sprocket wants to come off.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx