24mm spline drive question.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2018 8:14 PM

I'm wondering if there is a splined top hat washer so I can run my 24mm spline drive sprocket, on a 19mm spindle. Seems like this should exist, but I've never seen one.

|

2/18/2018 8:17 PM

Nope. Just buy a 19mm insert for your sprocket and swap them out.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/18/2018 11:23 PM

Mutiny make some that fit socket drive sprockets, but I've never seen one that fits normal spline drive.

|

2/19/2018 1:39 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I don't think those are replaceable. I don't think I could do it without damaging something. It's a fit key sprocket, if it matters.

|

2/19/2018 1:48 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I don't think those are replaceable. I don't think I could do it without damaging something. It's a fit key sprocket, if it matters.

Youre right that you're not supposed to but there's a way to do it for sure. Some of the heat removable jb weld would hold it in fairly well, at least for a while, as long as you don't damage the sprocket around where the insert goes while you're removing it and replacing. I hear people say they've done it before with SD but I have my doubts as to how long it will actually last

|

@coupd_tat

2/19/2018 3:04 AM

|

2/19/2018 3:13 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I'm wondering if there is a splined top hat washer so I can run my 24mm spline drive sprocket, on a 19mm spindle. Seems like this should exist, but I've never seen one.

That's an interesting idea.

You need something like this, right?
Photo

I don't think they make something like this, but they should!

|

2/19/2018 6:12 AM

Those are the "normal" interface converters, not 48-48 or 48-15/16" bore:
Photo

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/19/2018 6:17 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

am-shaegar wrote:

That's an interesting idea.

You need something like this, right?
Photo

I don't think they make something like this, but they should!

For that to work, you'd need a large washer either side or 2 tophat-splined washers that go in either side. Otherwise, the sprocket would slide right over onto the spacers/cone as a lot of them are 24mm or less in diameter.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/19/2018 6:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2018 6:50 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

coupde_tat wrote:

Youre right that you're not supposed to but there's a way to do it for sure. Some of the heat removable jb weld would hold it in fairly well, at least for a while, as long as you don't damage the sprocket around where the insert goes while you're removing it and replacing. I hear people say they've done it before with SD but I have my doubts as to how long it will actually last

This. You're not supposed to, but I've seen many people do it anyways and not have any issues. Just make sure it comes straight out and not side-to-side. Or buy a new sprocket.

There is a reason they sell the inserts

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/19/2018 7:46 AM

grumpySteve wrote: https://www.profileracing.com/product/universal-spline-drive-adapter/?

p1p1092 wrote:

Those are the "normal" interface converters, not 48-48 or 48-15/16" bore:
Photo

A and B are spline drive. For 19mm or 22mm axles. Not sure if they fit the sprocket in question (which will only fit 24mm axles according to the description), but they'd work on a profile sprocket and 19 or 22mm axle.

Sell the sprocket, buy the right one. Easiest option.

It's actually another reason I'm not a fan of spline drive. It's bee. Around a while yet there's still no definite universal system

|

2/19/2018 8:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2018 8:05 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

A and B are spline drive. For 19mm or 22mm axles. Not sure if they fit the sprocket in question (which will only fit 24mm axles according to the description), but they'd work on a profile sprocket and 19 or 22mm axle.

Sell the sprocket, buy the right one. Easiest option.

It's actually another reason I'm not a fan of spline drive. It's bee. Around a while yet there's still no definite universal system

Spline drive's only on the ID, not the OD...

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/19/2018 3:16 PM

The profile inserts seem like they might work, but it's just too much of a hassle. Anyone want a key guard sprocket 24mm spline lol? I just wanted to play around with some sprocket stalls, and grinds, but oh well. I think it's pretty ugly anyway.

|

2/19/2018 4:09 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

For that to work, you'd need a large washer either side or 2 tophat-splined washers that go in either side. Otherwise, the sprocket would slide right over onto the spacers/cone as a lot of them are 24mm or less in diameter.

yep first thing I thought of. you'd need to sandwich it together otherwise it could wiggle right off the splined insert. if the crank arm was big enough at the spindle boss you could get away with using the arm as the washer, but if it's not, then you run into another issue with having to have a spacer in between the sprocket and arm...

if there was like a recessed lip on the inside of the sprocket for the top hat to rest in against in between the crank arm, that might work though

|

2/21/2018 11:34 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I used to call that a top hat washer as well, until I was like oh yea that's right.. it is a sprocket adapter

|