25.4mm into 25?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2020 12:42 PM

i have an xrated dekka but looking to change the seat, and have decided on a fat seat with pivotal seat post, i couldnt find the specs of my bike online, so measured the gap in my frame, both me and my dad measured it, it came at 25mm, the only piviotal seats i can find are 25.4mm seeing as its 0.4 difference could it fit?

|

4/9/2020 2:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2020 2:43 PM

What did he measure it with?

I've never seen a 25mm seatpost so it's more likely a 25.4mm. It's only 0.2mm extra per side.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/9/2020 2:46 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I've never seen a 25mm seatpost so it's more likely a 25.4mm. It's only 0.2mm extra per side.

A mechanical ruler then tried my mum's clothing tape measure bless him, both measurements came out different one at 25mm and the other 27mm, but by the power of the BMX gods someone took a screenshot of my bikes specs and posted it deep within the net which took a while to find . And your right it does come at 25.4

|

4/9/2020 3:00 PM

KP2219 wrote:

A mechanical ruler then tried my mum's clothing tape measure bless him, both measurements came out different one at 25mm and the other 27mm, but by the power of the BMX gods someone took a screenshot of my bikes specs and posted it deep within the net which took a while to find . And your right it does come at 25.4

You should get yourself a cheap vernier calipers for those kinds of measurements. It's one of those things you think you'll never need but you can't do without after you get it.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/9/2020 4:35 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

You should get yourself a cheap vernier calipers for those kinds of measurements. It's one of those things you think you'll never need but you can't do without after you get it.

Honestly, dial calipers would be better because you could get a more accurate measurement. SPI's are a good midway with a decent action and it doesn't break the bank either, but I personally prefer brown and sharpe as those are some of the best swiss made calipers money can buy. Action on them are so smooth it doesn't even need a roller.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/9/2020 4:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2020 5:00 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Honestly, dial calipers would be better because you could get a more accurate measurement. SPI's are a good midway with a decent action and it doesn't break the bank either, but I personally prefer brown and sharpe as those are some of the best swiss made calipers money can buy. Action on them are so smooth it doesn't even need a roller.

I was actually talking about dial calipers. I've used both types a lot in various jobs so I'm just used to calling both types verniers. I have a nice Mitutoyo at home but the Starrett I was using in one of my old jobs was by far my favourite set that I've ever used. I'd buy a Starrett for home but first-year apprentice wages just aren't that good laughing

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/9/2020 8:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2020 11:24 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

KP2219 wrote:

25.4mm is 1 inch. 22.2 is 7/8 inch these are common numbers you'll see in bmx tubing. That's why it's what seems like an "arbitrary" number. If you get a metal.ruler and measure the very center of the tube, I'm almost certain you'll land right on an inch.

|

4/9/2020 8:44 PM

KP2219 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

If you can read s vernier caliper, you can get just as accurate as a dial caliper. If you are going to go that far, you may as well do digital & dunno the dial altogether.

|

4/10/2020 1:54 PM

I've got a set of mitutoyo 24" digi calipers that I'll sell you. Perfect for measuring seat post diameter. Not cumbersome at all!

|

4/15/2020 8:10 PM

Seat-post shim is something you can use to fill the gap, my GT interceptor pro frame require 27.2 seat post, so I use shim to fit a 25.4 combo seat... it comes in various sizes Photo
Photo

|

4/17/2020 1:08 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

If you can read s vernier caliper, you can get just as accurate as a dial caliper. If you are going to go that far, you may as well do digital & dunno the dial altogether.

Never been a fan of digital calipers. Not because of the battery but because they feel cheap and not only that, but I’ve got some pretty inconsistent measurements the longer I have them so I’m replacing them more often than calipers should be replaced. (I ain’t talking about bend blades or nothing, I BABY them things)

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican