25-9 to 28-9 big difference?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/13/2019 1:49 PM

Is there a big difference pedaling wise going from 25-9 to 28-9 gear ratio? 25-9 seems to easy for me and I'm having a hard time finding a 27 tooth sprocket for a decent price. Any opinions welcome

|

5/13/2019 2:01 PM

28-9 is amazing, i live in a mountain area with big hills and im still able to pedal. its a solid medium. highly recommend

|

pew pew

5/13/2019 2:06 PM

Lots of people seem to really like the 28t, more power per pedal and still not super difficult to climb hills.

|

Scooter rider trying to ride a BMX.
Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

5/13/2019 5:14 PM

28 9 is good , I like 30 9 more but 28s a good starting point to see if it will work for you better

|

5/13/2019 5:29 PM

I went from a 25 to a 28 after my sprocket broke and I didn’t notice too much of a difference

|

5/13/2019 6:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2019 6:59 PM

Went from 25/9 to a 28/9 to a much nicer feel with more pedal response

|

5/13/2019 7:12 PM

I didn't notice much difference going from a 25 to a 28 but now, anytime I try somebody's bike with a 25, I feel like I'm spinning out on the first crank. I frequently spin out on my 28, cycling from spot to spot but I can't fit a 30t with a half-decent chainline so, I guess I'm stuck with a 28.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/13/2019 7:25 PM

I used to ride 30-9 and it was an amazing gearing. Rode that way for like 2 years and never blew out a single bearing. I reckon 28-9 will be a perfect middle ground if you're on the fence. 25-9 is wack honestly

|

5/13/2019 7:41 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I didn't notice much difference going from a 25 to a 28 but now, anytime I try somebody's bike with a 25, I feel like I'm spinning out on the first crank. I frequently spin out on my 28, cycling from spot to spot but I can't fit a 30t with a half-decent chainline so, I guess I'm stuck with a 28.

Is there a way to check if a 30 tooth sprocket will fit the frame before buying it?

|

5/13/2019 7:46 PM

standardbmx14mm wrote:

Is there a way to check if a 30 tooth sprocket will fit the frame before buying it?

I'd say to step up to a 28 first. It's a good middle ground between acceleration and top speed and most frames these days aren't built to accomodate anything larger than a 28(some frames won't even take anything larger than a 25(Cult Butter, IIRC)).

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/14/2019 12:48 AM

You’ll feel the difference for one ride, then you’ll wish you went to 28t sooner. 25 9 feels like you don’t go anywhere

|

5/14/2019 3:15 AM

28 is much better 25 is just for childs with small muscles.

Just take note that it will change your backend lenght a little bit because, 25 and 28 fall on different lenghts, 25 is 13.0" / 13.25" / 13.5"... and 28 is 13.1"/13.4 / 13.65"...

The 27t fall on the same lenghts as 25t, I'm running one atm for this reason only.

|

5/14/2019 7:32 AM

I ride 28-9 but will go back to 25-9 when I go down to 165 crank arms. 28-9 with 175s feels like 25-9 with 165s to me due to the lesser leverage and smaller circle i pedal.

|

5/14/2019 8:19 AM

I have a 28/9, get one from Steve. The Grey sprockets are rad!

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

5/14/2019 1:28 PM

jmz313 wrote:

I ride 28-9 but will go back to 25-9 when I go down to 165 crank arms. 28-9 with 175s feels like 25-9 with 165s to me due to the lesser leverage and smaller circle i pedal.

It doesn’t make that much difference really. The smaller turning circle of the cranks will make 25t feel even more like you don’t go anywhere. I had 165mm cranks and a 28t and the torque felt the same

|

5/14/2019 11:32 PM

It will feel very different. Something you can get used to but depending on where you live and how many hills you have around, it could definitely be a beneficial change.

I personally do not like the feel but tons of people I know like them.

|

5/15/2019 8:41 AM

I've been riding 28-10 for over 10yrs. My new cranks seem slightly wider than my old ones, so I think I can run a 30t now with a good, but not great chain line.

Steve, do you still think your going to do a 30t?

|

5/15/2019 10:45 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

I've been riding 28-10 for over 10yrs. My new cranks seem slightly wider than my old ones, so I think I can run a 30t now with a good, but not great chain line.

Maybe, not enough interest to get them from previous supplier. But I might do a pre order type thing and get them made by the guy doing the stems

|

5/15/2019 11:44 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Maybe, not enough interest to get them from previous supplier. But I might do a pre order type thing and get them made by the guy doing the stems

OT: When are stems going to happen?

|

5/15/2019 11:47 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

93EXCivic wrote:

Waiting to hear back from my guy, but I’m skint. If my guy gets back to me and is keen to get the ball rolling I’ll find the cash from somewhere. They’ll be super limited to only 25. So it could be a few weeks, could be a few months

|

5/15/2019 12:56 PM

.pegless. wrote:

93EXCivic wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

Waiting to hear back from my guy, but I’m skint. If my guy gets back to me and is keen to get the ball rolling I’ll find the cash from somewhere. They’ll be super limited to only 25. So it could be a few weeks, could be a few months

What geo stem did you decide on?

|

5/15/2019 2:05 PM

I've been running 25-9 for years and I do agree it feels like I get nowhere, I have a 27T that I'm wanting to throw on with my 9 so will be interesting. Just have to figure out a method to keep my CS at the same length might need to deepen the slots a little, well see.

|

5/15/2019 2:38 PM

Cellmember wrote:

I've been running 25-9 for years and I do agree it feels like I get nowhere, I have a 27T that I'm wanting to throw on with my 9 so will be interesting. Just have to figure out a method to keep my CS at the same length might need to deepen the slots a little, well see.

They’ll be about half a link difference in chain length, but you’ll barely notice the torque after a few cranks. When you’re already coasting and add a crank is where you’ll feel a massive improvement

|

5/15/2019 2:40 PM

93EXCivic wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

50mm reach, 10mm rise while in the correct position, 22mmish when in topload mode. It’s basically an eclat burns stem but will look nicer

|

5/15/2019 3:32 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

standardbmx14mm wrote:

You can always look at the frame specs or call them

|

5/16/2019 5:49 AM

jmz313 wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

It doesn’t make that much difference really. The smaller turning circle of the cranks will make 25t feel even more like you don’t go anywhere. I had 165mm cranks and a 28t and the torque felt the same

Nah, I've tried both. Smaller circles mean feet move less for more forward movement. In Geared bike circles its called "gain ratio" (not trying to get into it). 165 with 28 feels rough to me, that said, if i rode a cassette and the front of my knees agreed with it, i would run that to make for nice higher speed fakies.

|

5/16/2019 8:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/16/2019 8:51 AM

jmz313 wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

jmz313 wrote:

Nah, I've tried both. Smaller circles mean feet move less for more forward movement. In Geared bike circles its called "gain ratio" (not trying to get into it). 165 with 28 feels rough to me, that said, if i rode a cassette and the front of my knees agreed with it, i would run that to make for nice higher speed fakies.

I’ve tried both too. And it felt practically the same. Slightly harder on the old knees riding up hill, but better on my old hips. And better when doing tricks. But not a hugely different feeling, literally the kind of thing you’d be used to after half an hour.

Edit: and that was going from 175mm to 165mm, with 28 9. Half an hour and it felt no different apart from being a bit nicer for tricks.

|

5/16/2019 9:43 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I’ve tried both too. And it felt practically the same. Slightly harder on the old knees riding up hill, but better on my old hips. And better when doing tricks. But not a hugely different feeling, literally the kind of thing you’d be used to after half an hour.

Edit: and that was going from 175mm to 165mm, with 28 9. Half an hour and it felt no different apart from being a bit nicer for tricks.

I really felt it in the knees and had to swap back. 26-27 might be the ticket for me but i.m not going to get a guard sprocket in those sizes easily.

I compromised for now with 170s 28-9 and its ok, but i know my next frame will be shorter so 165s will go back on.

|

5/16/2019 10:26 AM

If its cassette. It'll also make landing fakie and keeping momentum easier as it'll have more leverage on the front foot.

|

Jamie Bales - Vital's first class piss taker.

5/17/2019 7:34 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

50mm reach, 10mm rise while in the correct position, 22mmish when in topload mode. It’s basically an eclat burns stem but will look nicer

When can we place orders?

|