25mm vs 15mm fork offset

Related:
Create New Tag

9/7/2020 1:50 PM

What’s good vital, I got a question about which fork offset to ride next.

I’m a street rider. Lots of grinds, spins, pivots, crankflips, pull-up bars, you get it. I don’t ride trails and I never really ride ramps save for a few quarters and spines at my local park, and here and there I drop into bowls to try and do flyout whips. I’m currently riding a 32mm fork that I’m not a big fan of. Due to the rest of my frame geometry, I find it extreeemely difficult to learn hang-5’s, nose manuals, g-turns (I can do nose pivot shit quite well tho) and even fakies. I feel that the 32mm fork isn’t responsive enough for fakies and is too mellow for any front wheel tricks.

My question is whether it is too early to go straight to 15mm forks if I haven’t learned to do any front wheel tricks. Would I be better off starting at 25mm and seeing how things go from there, or just go straight to the 15s and learn my nose tricks on those? I don’t want to buy 25mm forks and find that they still feel slightly too mellow. What do you guys think?

|

9/7/2020 2:14 PM

how responsive is your frame? whats the heattube angles of it? i myself like a short, quick and more street orientated frame even though i ride everything. and my frame right now is a bit too long for me (13.2'' back end, 75 degree HTA). i ride a 26mm fork and im not too sure about if id ever go to a 15mm, especially if and when i get a quicker frame. i would say myself go for a 25mm purely because i prefer a more all round setup just in case you ever find yourself at a park with barely, if any street rideable parts and you wont be stuck with a bike that kicks you out of ramps way too much.

|

9/7/2020 2:47 PM

Ive never used a 15mm fork but I have used 32, 28, 25 and probably some other weird numbers. 25mm felt good for slow stuff but horrible for anything fast. It makes your hops feel quicker too. Meaning less effort but you have to get it done quicker. Not necessarily a bad thing but it will throw off your riding a bit at first.

Id say if your main goal is to ride street and not haul ass you'd be safe with a 15 or 25. It will make everything you do feel more responsive but at the cost of less overall stability.

|

9/7/2020 7:19 PM

Not gonna lie, I barely noticed a difference between 32 and 25mm forks. Rode 32s for several years, then rode some r25s for like five years, then went back to 32 this year and again didn’t really notice it. Might just be me, most people seem to notice something

|

9/8/2020 4:11 AM

I just went from a 25 to a 16 (weird right?) on an OLD Odyssey Flatland fork because I wanted to run front brakes again.

It's noticeable, you will get used to it either way.

As to getting into front wheel stuff, it is a tad less effort from my experience, brakes or not. BUT it doesn't "make front wheel tricks easier" in the same way that a super short rear end doesn't make manuals easier to learn.

It will make popping into things a LITTLE easier BUT the trade off is that it makes them a bit more squirrelly. You have a slightly smaller balance point. Either way you will be happy-Personally I would go 25.

I plan to eventually get myself a new Odyssey F25 with 25MM offset whenever I can justify the cost.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/8/2020 6:24 AM

Went from 32 to 26mm and noticed a nice difference but from 26 to 22, don't really notice much...15 just seemed to be too drastic when I got my 22mm forks

|

9/8/2020 6:35 AM

How do you expect a shorter fork offset to make fakies easier? I don't think fork offset plays much of a role in fakies... If anything, it will make them harder as your steering will be more touchy and you would likely find yourself doing more "S-turns" and not being able to control the fakie.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again... 99% of the time the challenge of learning a trick won't be cured by minor geometry difference in your bike build. (the other 1% of the time is when a guy who is 6' 7" is riding a 18" TT, or some other drastically mis-sized bike)

|

9/8/2020 8:15 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

How do you expect a shorter fork offset to make fakies easier? I don't think fork offset plays much of a role in fakies... If ...more

While I tend to agree...learn the tricks that you want to on what you have, the geometry changes may make things easier after that

Stem reach to me has played the biggest difference...but I do find that upgrading geometry helps land tricks after you've been riding for a few hours...i can land tricks that I may otherwise wouldn't be able to get around as efficiently when I'm tired

Hope that makes sense but I'm also mid 30s, so i like to have any advantage I can get

|

9/11/2020 8:15 AM

i think anything under 20mm is a bit extreme, i run 22mm and half cab nosies feel fucking great.

|

9/11/2020 11:02 PM

My flatland bike has zero offset forks which are super twitchy. My street bike I'm going from 27mm to 15mm forks soon so I'm about to find out how big a difference it'll make on front wheel tricks...as for fakies , the roll outs with zero offset are nice because you can carve very tightly...

|