26" BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

11/13/2017 3:22 PM

Yo-

New to the site. Can anyone recommend a quality 26 inch BMX? I'm frickin old and I want to start riding again. Maybe even hit trails or dirt jumps! Most research I've seen recommends the Zeke XLT. Thanks for the help!

-MZ-

|

11/13/2017 3:58 PM

|

11/13/2017 4:01 PM

The SE, fit, haro and cult are all good entry bikes, haro downtown might not be chromo though. If I was to pick two it would be between the fit aiken and the se flyer...

|

11/13/2017 4:04 PM

how old is old?

you looking for suspension? Have you looked into 24 or 22 inch wheeled bikes?

How much do you want to spend?

etc..

|

11/13/2017 5:02 PM

35 and about 6’ 3” so I was thinking 26 inch minimum. No suspension needs at this point and maybe around the $500 range? What about Eastern Growler LTD? Thanks again!

|

11/13/2017 6:09 PM

Hmmmm maybe consider a haro steel reserve.

|

11/13/2017 11:55 PM

Just get a 20". I'm 36 and not the oldest here. I've tried jump bikes (26" and 24") and nothing feels as good as 20".

Or maybe a 22" because you're tall

|

11/14/2017 1:55 AM

Ill be 46 this month, 6'2 and will only ride a twenty.

|

Legit

Oscar5788,Scramhype,SuperstarDK,Howlerfbm,AlexDanielP,KilledGlamour,notorious NIG,KYMIKE

11/14/2017 7:40 AM

37 6'3" 190 lbs I ride a 21.... 26 too big...

|

11/14/2017 7:49 AM

Cool, thanks!

|

11/14/2017 7:52 AM

wheel size has NOTHING to do with riders height.

FRAME size does.

and I've got 12 years on you...

|

11/14/2017 7:58 AM

Man...trails or dirt jumps with a semi-entry level 26"? You can do it, but you might really be pushing the limits of you, and the bike.

I've ridden a few PK Rippers, Beast Modes, etc and they, to me, feel like getting them off the ground would need rocket boosters. My suggestion is to work your way up. Find a local shop that has a 20", 22/24" and a 26" and see how they feel!

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/14/2017 10:33 AM

I can barely ride my 26 GT DJ because it feels like a fucking battleship compared to my T1, the 21 inch is a viper Mk ii in comparasion.

|

11/14/2017 10:39 AM

True dat...

Looking for the best of both worlds I guess....A cruiser with the kids, but something I can still mess around on the street/dirt.

|

11/14/2017 11:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2017 11:52 AM

xMarkZx wrote:

True dat...

Looking for the best of both worlds I guess....A cruiser with the kids, but something I can still mess around on the street/dirt.

My friend just picked up a General Lee 22" (wheel) bike & it feels super spacious to me compared to a 20" w/ 20.85" TT. I think that would be where I'd go if I were in your shoes & felt (from trials) that a 20" was too small. At the most, I'd be looking at a 24" (wheel) for dirt, etc.... Just my 2 cents.

|

11/14/2017 11:21 AM

Yea def what mish says, a 21 min tt for you and youll be fine, 22 inch wheel bmx may be decent too , That DK is a good bike. The colours may leave something to be desired given todays age of awareness...

|

11/14/2017 11:30 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Yea def what mish says, a 21 min tt for you and youll be fine, 22 inch wheel bmx may be decent too , That DK is a good bike. The colours may leave something to be desired given todays age of awareness...

Wait...which colors are offensive now? Shit I can't keep up.

|

11/14/2017 11:54 AM

LOL! I always wanted the General Lee back in the 90's! Yeah, nowadays might not be a good time.

Shit, I thought I was getting close zoning in on a 26 inch! Now I don't know what the hell to ride.

|

11/14/2017 12:03 PM

xMarkZx wrote:

LOL! I always wanted the General Lee back in the 90's! Yeah, nowadays might not be a good time.

Shit, I thought I was getting close zoning in on a 26 inch! Now I don't know what the hell to ride.

Dude you're near Midwest bike central out there in Schaumburg! Definitely just go try out some 22" or 24"s at a local shop. See if you can find a shop here:

http://fairdalebikes.com/dealers/#map_top

Only because they sell

I personally can cruise all day on my 20" but I picked up a 56cm road bike for long hauls workout rides. I think if you get on a 22" and then get on a 26" you'll feel the difference immediately.

I loved the idea of a 26" cruiser and had my sights set on a Fairdale Taj, but even though I loved the look of it, it was just too much metal under me. I grew up riding kids bikes and I still do.

|

11/14/2017 12:05 PM

Look at 22"... they are pretty cool and I'd love to have one... look at this one from Fit.. it's a very good bike and if I got a 22" this is probably the one I'd get...
https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/bf-22/

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/14/2017 12:12 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. I just thought the 22" TT would be too small. But after looking at the BF 22, maybe not.

I don't think I've ever heard someone call Schaumburg bike central! I have been away for quite some time though...

|

11/14/2017 12:25 PM

xMarkZx wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right. I just thought the 22" TT would be too small. But after looking at the BF 22, maybe not.

I don't think I've ever heard someone call Schaumburg bike central! I have been away for quite some time though...

Put it this way:

When I was ready to ride again, I KNEW I wanted the smallest most responsive bike possible. I went with the 20.8TT SE Heavy hitter and only now, 6 years later, am I beginning to feel like I need something a bit more tailored to my size.

When I was ready for a road bike, I had no clue where to begin so I found something I liked visually, and went to a shop to basically size myself up for one. I didn't need to ride any further than the back of the store to realize that a 52cm was way too small, and a 56 was perfect. It took 5 mins and the guys at the shop were more than happy to help.

Go from there. You don't wanna just buy something randomly and then think "Oh I fucked up"

|

11/14/2017 12:59 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Put it this way:

When I was ready to ride again, I KNEW I wanted the smallest most responsive bike possible. I went with the 20.8TT SE Heavy hitter and only now, 6 years later, am I beginning to feel like I need something a bit more tailored to my size.

When I was ready for a road bike, I had no clue where to begin so I found something I liked visually, and went to a shop to basically size myself up for one. I didn't need to ride any further than the back of the store to realize that a 52cm was way too small, and a 56 was perfect. It took 5 mins and the guys at the shop were more than happy to help.

Go from there. You don't wanna just buy something randomly and then think "Oh I fucked up"

Thanks Dark!

I hear ya...Is it best to search by cm? Never had to worry about that when I was 15!

|

11/14/2017 1:06 PM

cm is for road bikes. Fit on a road bike matters MUCH more than a bmx / dirt jump bike.

I know guys that are 6'7" riding 20 inch wheels and guys 5'4" riding 29 inch wheels. Both feel at home on the bike because the frame fits them.

You can adjust the fit and feel of a bike by changing out the bars and stem as well.

Go to a few shops and see if you can test ride some.

oh, and you an always get a longer seat post. Today, seat posts are really really short. smile Don't let that scare you off.

|

11/14/2017 1:13 PM

pnj wrote:

cm is for road bikes. Fit on a road bike matters MUCH more than a bmx / dirt jump bike.

I know guys that are 6'7" riding 20 inch wheels and guys 5'4" riding 29 inch wheels. Both feel at home on the bike because the frame fits them.

You can adjust the fit and feel of a bike by changing out the bars and stem as well.

Go to a few shops and see if you can test ride some.

oh, and you an always get a longer seat post. Today, seat posts are really really short. smile Don't let that scare you off.

No problem at all Mark!

And yeah what PNJ said is correct.

CM measurements are really only for road/hybrid/commuter bikes. The fit is SO much more important on those because you're presumably riding for much longer distances, seated, and depending on what gearing (I'm just straight single speed with free wheel) you're pedaling constantly. That kind of repetitive movement on the wrong fit of bike can actually lead to repetitive stress injuries or just being all kinds of uncomfortable while riding.

Now, for BMX bikes and cruisers? It really is more about feel. I think you're in the ballpark of something that's tossable but cruise-worthy as well. Again, I spent a few years without any sort of secondary bike and kept up with (and in some cases road faster than) several friends with $1200 road bikes on my SE 20". It's just what I'm more comfortable on.

Definitely, 100% call up the nearest shop and ask if they have 22" BMX bikes, or could order one and have something similar in stock. They'll more than likely have a 20" there for you to ride, but I think we've come to the conclusion that for what you're looking to do that's a bit too aggressive.

Good luck and feel it out. Its one of those things where when you get it right, you just feel it.

|

11/14/2017 2:22 PM

Thanks Guys! Definitely more than enough info to make a choice.

|