3/8 female axle

Related:
Create New Tag

6/11/2017 1:16 PM

I have a front hub that used to have a 3/8 male axle and the hole for the axle in my hub is 3/8 can some one tell me if they make female axles that size to fit my hub or tell me if my hub won't fit a female axle

|

6/11/2017 1:51 PM

They probably don't make a female axle to fit it. As female axles are usually 14mm or bigger, with a 3/8ths bolt. The only way to do it is get bearings with a larger id, but then the bearings won't be as sturdy.

There's ways to do it. But it's more effort than its worth. It'll be weaker, and probably cost the same as a second hand female hub

|

6/11/2017 8:14 PM

I've converted a 3/8" male axle to female axle before, just to see if I could... and like Steve said, it'll end up being more trouble than it's worth.

First, you'd need to find a center axle to fit it which isn't as easy as just ordering a random one online cause the bearing shoulder width needs to be the EXACT same. Of course, you could get a floating axle like the Primo one and just machine that and the center spacer down, but again... it's a bit of work & trouble

Second, you need the right sized bearings. This part's pretty simple cause it's not too hard to measure the outer diameter & width of the current bearing, then find one with those dimensions + the inner diameter of the race specific to the center axle (likely 15mm), then just order them

Third, hardware. Bolts are easy... Just make sure it's the right thread count. The locknuts/cone spacers though, need to be the same width as the current ones you have and sometimes that can be hard to find.

ASSUMING you get all that, it's very possible... But the cost of doing that is around $30-$40 and at that price you might as well just buy a brand new hub

tl;dr

just buy a new one

|

6/11/2017 8:21 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

They probably don't make a female axle to fit it. As female axles are usually 14mm or bigger, with a 3/8ths bolt. The only way to do it is get bearings with a larger id, but then the bearings won't be as sturdy.

There's ways to do it. But it's more effort than its worth. It'll be weaker, and probably cost the same as a second hand female hub

So I'll need to buy different bearings with a 14mm hole in the middle of the bearing

|

6/11/2017 9:12 PM

Just use male axles and regular bolts.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/12/2017 5:11 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

lukebmx34 wrote:

So I'll need to buy different bearings with a 14mm hole in the middle of the bearing

And a compatible axle, and find some cones that will work.

|

6/12/2017 6:06 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I've converted a 3/8" male axle to female axle before, just to see if I could... and like Steve said, it'll end up being more trouble than it's worth.

First, you'd need to find a center axle to fit it which isn't as easy as just ordering a random one online cause the bearing shoulder width needs to be the EXACT same. Of course, you could get a floating axle like the Primo one and just machine that and the center spacer down, but again... it's a bit of work & trouble

Second, you need the right sized bearings. This part's pretty simple cause it's not too hard to measure the outer diameter & width of the current bearing, then find one with those dimensions + the inner diameter of the race specific to the center axle (likely 15mm), then just order them

Third, hardware. Bolts are easy... Just make sure it's the right thread count. The locknuts/cone spacers though, need to be the same width as the current ones you have and sometimes that can be hard to find.

ASSUMING you get all that, it's very possible... But the cost of doing that is around $30-$40 and at that price you might as well just buy a brand new hub

tl;dr

just buy a new one

THIS.

Just save up for a replacement hub or wheel.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura