4 punctures in 2 days...

Related:
Create New Tag

8/9/2020 1:40 PM

Hi guys

Running a pretty new front wheel, tape is on clean, no spokes pertruding or rigid metal edges poking out from rim everything clean and using perfectly new tubes (back wheel has same tube and has had zero issues). Yet, I've just walked home with my 4th flat in 2 days. Soenthing is hugely wrong and by process of elimination I can only determine that my front KHE Mac Street 2 tyre was a seam with a bit of steel rod sticking out on the edge of the tire that's puncturing every tube. This could have happened when I took my front tire out to change the tubes (aggressively I must say) using the end of the tire lever with the sharp edge. I think I've ripped my tire. What else could it be, everything seems perfect I even gave everything a wipe to get nay dust/sand off but still puncture...

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

8/9/2020 2:26 PM

If you saved the tubes pump them up and try to listen to them or put them in a bucket of water and see if they’re all punctured in the same spot. Check the inside of the tire real good and feel around inside and along the bead. Sometimes it just happens. A month or 2 ago I had 3 rear flats in 3 days, then nothing since then with the same wheel/tire setup

|

8/9/2020 2:45 PM

cky199 wrote:

If you saved the tubes pump them up and try to listen to them or put them in a bucket of water and see if they’re all ...more

Thanks, will do. Seems to be a random tiny whole on the side of the tube (not top nor bottom). Really hard to know exactly what's causing it since everything looks smooth inside, but the process is the same everytime. 1) clean dust from rim tape and inner tyre
2) conclude everything looks perfect
3) stick deflated tube and tire on (with hands)
4) pump tyre to 60psi (max)
5) end up with tire losing very quickly

i was so frustrated earlier i was tempted to just buy a new complete wheel and tyre but that's irrational thinking... lol

|

8/9/2020 5:12 PM

So wait...

Haven’t you already determined it’s the tire, or your incorrect method of mounting said tire?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/9/2020 5:17 PM

tires can have TINY pieces of glass / etc that you can't see or feel but when the tire is inflated it causes a flat tire..

as mentioned, pay attention to where the hole is getting creating. Same spot may indicate that there is something in the tire..

|

8/9/2020 9:48 PM

readybmxer wrote:

So wait...

Haven’t you already determined it’s the tire, or your incorrect method of mounting said tire?

I haven't, sorry.
I'm just saying, it feels impossible it could be anything else.
Wheel is relatively new with no damage, tubes are good so must be the tyre having small pieces of something or metal cutting my tubes...

|

8/9/2020 9:49 PM

pnj wrote:

tires can have TINY pieces of glass / etc that you can't see or feel but when the tire is inflated it causes a flat tire..

as ...more

I'm going to water test the tube now and see.. Thanks bud!

|

8/10/2020 3:53 AM

pnj wrote:

as ...more

Mad Mars wrote:

I'm going to water test the tube now and see.. Thanks bud!

Its an ancient method of old. Never fails.

|

Bit of a slut for Fit & Primo.

8/10/2020 5:15 AM

Could also be the method of installation (as in a minor pinch that weakens the tube, pressure hits and it gives) OR could be not enough pressure for your size-as in I HAVE to run 60-80 PSI even staying close to the ground because I'm a fatass and would pinch tubes all day with less.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/10/2020 5:28 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Could also be the method of installation (as in a minor pinch that weakens the tube, pressure hits and it gives) OR could be ...more

A mate of mine runs 45 and I can’t understand how. I’m 80 minimum!

|

Bit of a slut for Fit & Primo.

8/10/2020 7:02 PM

Have you got the same the tyre on the back

|

U WOT M9

8/10/2020 10:27 PM

Aussie steez wrote:

Have you got the same the tyre on the back

exactly the same tyre on the back khe mac 2 street

|

8/10/2020 10:28 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Could also be the method of installation (as in a minor pinch that weakens the tube, pressure hits and it gives) OR could be ...more

it was the tyre, the puncture was tiny and im pretty sure it was small shards of glass inside the tyre.

i've been riding into central london everyday since weather is good (45 minute ride) glass everywhere!

|

8/11/2020 4:58 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Mad Mars wrote:

it was the tyre, the puncture was tiny and im pretty sure it was small shards of glass inside the tyre.

i've been riding into ...more

This happened to me not too long ago so I lined the area of the puncture inside my tire with a piece of duct tape.

|

8/12/2020 11:59 AM

Sounds like an angry ex-girlfriend....

|

8/12/2020 1:12 PM

Any time you get a flat, take the tire off the rim and rotate the tire. Look for ANY small holes and squeeze the sides of the hole to open it up, there will be small rocks, sticks, thorns, glass, etc. All that stuff will get worked deeper and deeper till you land perfectly on it and you'll hear the infamous "ppffffffffffff..."

Use a knife or a safety pin to get em out.

|