4130 cromo or full cromo?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/20/2016 7:45 AM

Looking at a new bmx frame to get, and I came across one which is "full chromoly". I'm gonna take a guess and say that full cromo is stronger?

What I'm trying to find out is if full cromo is stronger than 4130 or not, and which would you prefer to ride in your opinion?

|

8/20/2016 8:36 AM

There are different grades of chromoly and 4130 is the one we use for our frames. Full 4130 chromoly should be the standard. Just saying full chromoly can mean anything, check this link. http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk/support/rideuktech/materials.html

|

8/20/2016 8:38 AM

Full chromoly means each tube on the frame is chromoly. As apposed to saying "chromoly main tubes" etc. By just saying it's chromoly means that chances are it doesn't fall under any particular grade, and is probably made a bit on the cheap. Hence it may not be able to be classed as 4130.
4130 is the grade of the chromoly used on good aftermarket frames, those that boast it are using that to help sales. If the manufacturer isn't boasting that it's 4130, it could be that it isn't true 4130 (so advertising it as such would be breaking a few laws). Therefore it may not be as good quality.

|

8/20/2016 12:24 PM

Just to clarify, 4130 (more correctly, SAE 4130) is a very specific grade of chromium-molybdium alloy steel with very specific chemical composition requirements. All 4130 is comply, but not all comply is 4130.

Not meeting the 4130 chem comp requirements doesn't really say anything about the quality of the steel. True Temper isn't 4130, but they make pretty good tube sets. Mills will adjust the chemical composition of steel to meet whatever requirements the vendor specifies.

|

8/20/2016 12:48 PM

True temper has dropped out and stopped making Bmx tubing just seen that yesterday on mike lairds instagram

|

8/20/2016 1:57 PM

eskimojay wrote:

True temper has dropped out and stopped making Bmx tubing just seen that yesterday on mike lairds instagram

Any reason why ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/20/2016 2:16 PM

Just to add on, it is full 4130 cromo

|

8/21/2016 7:28 AM

Yeah guys 4130cromo is a chemical formula like h2o. It's a blend that provides the greatest (I may be wrong on this) strength to weight ratio for the kind of use.. chro is for chromium Mo for molybdenum and the 4130 indicates the quantities etc.. Look it up on Wikipedia.. Full Chromo means that the whole bike or frame is made with 4130 Chromo. 4130 is just the type of steel
Blend. Like 7075 and 6061 aluminum. They're both aluminum just have different blends and indications for use.

|

8/22/2016 6:12 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Any reason why ?

I would guess not enough people buying to justify making. But that's merely a guess.

He apparently got tubing from another company and is saying it is better stuff and he is excited to make frames with it. I'm intrigued, but at the same time I know the material properties won't be too terribly different.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura