$45 Front Wheel?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/26/2014 6:54 PM

The Danscomp Black Friday sale has started, and there are 2 things that I noticed in particular: the Alienation Tinman Front Hub for $35: https://www.danscomp.com/products/BF0021/Alienation_Tinman_Front_Hub.html and the Sun Big City rim for $10: https://www.danscomp.com/products/420021/Sun_Big_City_Rim.html . That's $45 (give or take with spokes+nipples) for a front wheel. I know it won't be the most dialed front wheel, but I would be saving $90, and it's got to be better than the stock wheel I have with single wall rim and sealed hub (I haven't broke/bent it yet, but I don't do heavy riding as I haven't been riding for too long). Would this wheel be a great deal, or are those items on sale because they're really bad?

(I do grind, but the front peg hasn't seen any abuse yet since all I can do so far are feebles. I plan on learning double pegs in the future.)

|

11/26/2014 7:12 PM

Go for it. Sun rims are solid as hell, and although I personally would get a different hub, it will probably hold up.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

11/26/2014 7:18 PM

sun rims ftw

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

11/26/2014 7:32 PM

Sounds amazing. Tinman uses 4 bearings so it should hold up.great. Sun rims are amazing.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/26/2014 7:44 PM

Also, what about the Stolen Flip FA Front Hub? It's on sale for $40: https://www.danscomp.com/products/427131/Stolen_Flip_FA_Front_Hub.html
Which would be better, the Stolen Flip or Alienation Tinman?

|

11/26/2014 7:56 PM

Tinman uses 4 bearings! Less amount of force on each bearing. Id totally run one over most other hubs.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/26/2014 7:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/26/2014 7:59 PM

Ryan B. wrote:

Also, what about the Stolen Flip FA Front Hub? It's on sale for $40: ...more

Hmm I'm not sure... The Alienation has 4 bearings while the Stolen only has 2... But on the other hand, the Stolen is a female axle and I'm pretty sure the Alienation is male, which isn't as strong as female. Tough choice, I'm not entirely sure. Make sure you order rim strips too though! Personally I run the Animal rim strips and I've never had a problem, but I've never tried any other brands so...

But since you're going to be using Danscomp, you can ask them about which hub is a better choice when you order your spokes/nipples. You have to do phone-order when you get spokes/nipples from Danscomp, and they will also lace your wheel for you and give you advice on the best setup for your price range and whatnot. I'd wait and call them tomorrow (if they're open, I'm not sure) and ask them about it. If they aren't open, then call Friday... Their Black Friday sales typically last through the weekend so you should have time I think.

|

11/26/2014 8:00 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Tinman uses 4 bearings! Less amount of force on each bearing. Id totally run one over most other hubs.

Yeah but they're 6802 bearings, much easier to blow out. If they were 6902 I'd fully recommend, but 6802 bearings sketch me out even if there are 2 of them.

op I'd personally go with the Stolen just cause it has 2 larger bearings (6903).

|

11/27/2014 2:36 AM

Big city rims

|

11/28/2014 5:12 PM

Thanks everyone who replied. I ended up getting the BSD Front Street Hub because it was only $20 more, and getting hub on sale would've messed up the free shipping and I would have to pay the extra $20 for shipping anyways.

|

11/28/2014 7:16 PM

Ryan B. wrote:

Thanks everyone who replied. I ended up getting the BSD Front Street Hub because it was only $20 more, and getting hub on sale ...more

Sounds solid. Happy riding!

|