48 or 8 spline?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2014 7:20 PM

just was wondering which is stronger. i know most stock cranks are 8 which is also what i have on my stock salts, but was thinking of getting new cranks that are 48 so what are the differences

|

3/3/2014 7:24 PM

A 48 splined crank is press fit, and does not use a pinch bolt to keep it tight. They tend to be much stronger than your average 8 spline crank.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

3/3/2014 7:32 PM

transition_chris wrote:

A 48 splined crank is press fit, and does not use a pinch bolt to keep it tight. They tend to be much stronger than your average 8 spline crank.

thanks dude

|

3/3/2014 8:23 PM

Just for the fact that there are no "good" 8-spline cranks at all, 48-spline cranks automatically win. Plus, they stay intact better without pinch bolts. If you don't use enough grease, they'll literally get stuck to the spindle too.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

3/3/2014 8:27 PM

Do you ever need to take off 48 spline crank arms and re-grease them? I am thinking about buying a pair of used Eastern Tribe cranks.

|

Refs: Ecuadevil, Rollin'on20's, Obiwan Chromoly(x2), Future_D, Joe_Medina, bobPA

3/3/2014 8:34 PM

ak_guero wrote:

Do you ever need to take off 48 spline crank arms and re-grease them? I am thinking about buying a pair of used Eastern Tribe cranks.

Well, if you apply a decent amount of grease and everything breaks in, you could possibly be able to slide the crank arms off and on easily. And especially when buying new cranks, clean and re-grease everything.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

3/3/2014 8:39 PM

ak_guero wrote:

I would recommend you do, I've always greased the spindle on my profiles whenever i take them off and they come off no problem for me

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

3/3/2014 8:41 PM

ak_guero wrote:

Do it every now & then, if you keep them nice & greased it'll eliminate creaking noises too

|

3/4/2014 3:28 AM

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/4/2014 5:33 AM

48 spline cranks can and do develop wobble due to the tolerance in the interface of the splines. Profiles tend to be the worst from my personal expeirance. A crank like the thunderbolts, primo or an 8 spline with pinch bolt like a shadow noctis are less prone to wobble if everything it spaced out and tightened correctly.

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

3/4/2014 7:01 AM

Gump wrote:

48 spline cranks can and do develop wobble due to the tolerance in the interface of the splines. Profiles tend to be the worst from my personal expeirance. A crank like the thunderbolts, primo or an 8 spline with pinch bolt like a shadow noctis are less prone to wobble if everything it spaced out and tightened correctly.

Anyone else experience this? Not saying you're wrong, just wanting to hear if anyone else had the same experience w/ their cranks.

|

Refs: Ecuadevil, Rollin'on20's, Obiwan Chromoly(x2), Future_D, Joe_Medina, bobPA

3/4/2014 9:56 AM

Gump wrote:

ak_guero wrote:

Anyone else experience this? Not saying you're wrong, just wanting to hear if anyone else had the same experience w/ their cranks.

Yup, same with profiles and wtp royals. Pinch bolts or thunderbolts style cranks are your better options preferably with a 22mm axle.

Having said that i have had a set of tibias about three years (48 spline 22mm axle) that have no wobble in them and they have seen real abuse.

|

3/4/2014 10:06 AM

Gump wrote:

ak_guero wrote:

I have the noctis with a 16 splindle. Really good cranks.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx