48 single wall vs 36 double wall.

Related:
Create New Tag

12/15/2016 9:30 PM

Im getting a 48 single wall for my front. Just to do something different. And because it was $20! lol. But i could have gotten a cheap, thin, no name brand 36 double wall for a little more. I figured they would both probably be pretty light, but imbthinking the 48 would actually have less rolling resistance because the spokes weight spreads from the center, where as the double wall has all its weight on the outer edge. I like not having to worry about tightening my spokes as often too. I have an old 48 double wall i can throw on if i have any problems, but im honestly trying to save some weight up front so im hoping it works out. As long as i dont case anything i think ill be fine. Im just getting back into riding. Not doing anything crazy. This is temporary untill i get a female hub. So what do you think is stronger?

|

12/15/2016 9:53 PM

I'd rather run a 36 double wall. Name one (sponsored) pro that rides a single wall 48 hole rim in front. I doubt there's more then one.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

12/15/2016 11:01 PM

Well im not pro, so im not to worried about it. It only has to last a couple months tops.i know it will hold up fine. Ill find a decent female hub soon, and as soon as i fuck up this rim, ill throw another one on. I want a nice aero rim eventully

|

12/15/2016 11:54 PM

48 hole will weigh more, and won't be any stronger

|

12/15/2016 11:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2016 12:02 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

But that weight is spread more evenly throughout the wheel. Instead of just being the outer edge. know what i mean? Like if you got a heavier hub you wouldnt even notice but if you got a heavier tire, you feel that.

|

12/16/2016 6:21 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

But that weight is spread more evenly throughout the wheel. Instead of just being the outer edge. know what i mean? Like if you got a heavier hub you wouldnt even notice but if you got a heavier tire, you feel that.

But it's still added weight of a wheel. Single wall rims are really weak, and I doubt very much it's welded. So although you'll have more spokes pulling the rim straight, the rim itself will be wanting to bend all over the place, and something will have to give, probably the join. The number of spokes is irrelevant to the strength of the rim. All the good rims on the market have a carefully designed shape, with chambers that help increase the strength. Single wall's don't have that.

|

12/16/2016 7:33 AM

Good point. I ended up sucking it up and spending a little more on a demolition bulimia. im just gonna sell that other wheel probably. Its brand new. Ill put it on bmx museum or something.

|

12/16/2016 7:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2016 7:56 AM

Im still not convinced that an alex single wall with a few oz extra spokes is heavier than than a beefy ass odyssey rim. I think a double wall weighs more honestly, but i know i wont have to worry about the demolition. I bet that single wall weighs 10oz. What do you think odysseys weigh?

|

12/16/2016 7:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2016 8:00 AM

Im also pretty sure the switch to 36 spokes is nothing more than a marketing ploy for the industry to save money, in the manufacturing process. First pay pros to ride 36. Then tell everyone 36 is soooo much better. Save millions a year in manufacturing.This is how corporations work. It makes a lot of sense to me. At least a 48 in the back is nice. I think the benefits outweigh a few ounces literally.

|

12/16/2016 8:31 AM

Well if you were to get a good double wall 48h rim, it would be damn near indestructible. But I for one have never buckled a wheel so bad I've needed to replace the rim. And spokes weigh a surprising amount with brass nipples (hold 48 spokes and nipples, and you'll definitely feel it). It's a nice place to save some weight and money if you're not heavy on parts

|

12/16/2016 11:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2016 1:47 PM

. If it was between a 48 double or 36 double i would always chose the 36. The back is a different story though. I think a lot of people would benifit from having 48 in the back. Just as far as maintenance alone. They are set, and forget pretty much. I hate truing wheels. I suck at it too, so its not something i like to do. I think 48s are going to make a come back, now that weight isnt so important anymore. I found that tires are the best way to save wight on wheels. Some tires are almost a pound heavier than others.

|

12/16/2016 12:55 PM

I ride a 48 in the back. I rarely true my wheel

|