48 splines with pinch bolts cranks?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/31/2017 8:18 AM

What's up with that?
I am looking for a new crankset (the old one has a tight spot issue) and the KHE MVP crankset caught my attention

It looks that it will be easier to take them out and stuff, but will this make them weaker? or more prone to failure?

Do you guys have any experience with the Khe cranks?
Are they ok?

|

12/31/2017 8:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2017 8:30 AM

I've seen cranks fail at the pinch bolts. Wish I had a pic for reference, but my friend did this huge 180-bar gap and when he landed, the bolt snapped and the spindle boss essentially expanded and the crank literally spun around on the spindle. Mind you those were just cheap 8spline cranks, but still.

Hatebreeder has some Profile GDHs with Ti spindles for $100 in the sale section, and Source BMX has United Nash v2 cranks for $100. There's better cranks out there for just a bit more.

Also, the fact it comes with an American BB makes me think they're on their cheaper side..

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/31/2017 8:53 AM

Being a "pinch bolt" I would think it would be impossible to engage all the splines at the same time, like standard 48 spline cranks. My guess would be half of them, so like 24 splines are actually working.

|

12/31/2017 10:31 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought too sad

And yeah, never thought about the engagement part.
I'll stay clear of them laughing

|

12/31/2017 10:43 AM

A tight spot issue would be your sprocket or chain
.. Not crankset

|

Hmmm

12/31/2017 10:52 AM

Now that I think of it, the spindle boss wouldn't have to expand as much to shift on the spindle either, compared to 8splines with deeper splines.

This just seems like a really poor crank design.. Why go through the trouble of adding pinch bolts if the cranks are 48spline? Seems like it'd be easier and structurally stronger to just leave the spindle boss closed leave them as normal 48spline cranks..

KHE is always doing the most.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

12/31/2017 10:55 AM

just buy profile cranks. nothing else even comes close

|

It’s all bmx

12/31/2017 11:04 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Now that I think of it, the spindle boss wouldn't have to expand as much to shift on the spindle either, compared to 8splines ...more

Correct, it'd be far stronger to leave the boss closed. What happens as the clamp stretches over time? They'll stop fitting right(if at all) and eventually might even strip out the splines altogether.

OP: A tight spot would be a drivetrain issue. Could be a bent sprocket, an unevenly stretched chain, a badly worn driver, even a bad BB could cause a tight spot. I'd suggest you check everything else before replacing your cranks. If you do replace your cranks, buy good ones, not cheap ones. Buying cheap parts, you'll actually spend more in the long run...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

Woah those cranks are WEIRD. Bastard child of Redline Flights and Profiles

|

adamnmexican wrote:

just buy profile cranks. nothing else even comes close

Thunderbolts.....

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/31/2017 11:19 AM

Profiles best cranks in the game

|

12/31/2017 11:20 AM

There is someone selling profiles 175mm with titanium spindle in the for sale section right now.

|

Hmmm

12/31/2017 11:40 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Now that I think of it, the spindle boss wouldn't have to expand as much to shift on the spindle either, compared to 8splines ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Correct, it'd be far stronger to leave the boss closed. What happens as the clamp stretches over time? They'll stop fitting ...more

Yeah, this looks even worse than the No pinch bolts 8 spline cranks I've seen a few months ago at wtp if I'm not mistaken.

About the tight spot, I'm 99% sure it's the cranks.
Is either the spindle is slightly (imperceptible) bent or the crank arms sprocket boss is wacked.

Tested it on three bmx frames, one 26" dj frame, three mid BB, one euro BB, one external euro BB, five hubs, five sprockets and five chains

It does get slightly better when I use a splinedrive sproocket so I reckon it's a combination of both issues.

But you are right, better to save up and get something that wouldn't cause such issues

|

12/31/2017 11:46 AM

Edman123 wrote:

There is someone selling profiles 175mm with titanium spindle in the for sale section right now.

Saw them sad
Problem is the shipment will be another 100 laughing

|

12/31/2017 11:48 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Yeah, this looks even worse than the No pinch bolts 8 spline cranks I've seen a few months ago at wtp if I'm not mistaken.

...more

If you already got a spline drive sprocket, definitely get those profiles from Hatebreeder..

And I think you're talking about the Stolen cranks that are 8spline but the bolt is actually under the spindle instead of above it on the crank arm, so they look like 48s but aren't. My friend had these and they snapped on him at the spindle boss. They are so weird, they use a regular 8spline spindle boss but they flip it upside down so the pinch bolt area is inside the crank arm.. so fucking weird, I never would have guessed that if I hadn't seen the snapped set lol

|

12/31/2017 12:21 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

If you already got a spline drive sprocket, definitely get those profiles from Hatebreeder..

And I think you're talking about ...more

Actually they are the SALT “EX” tubular 3pc cranks from the wtp Justice complete

From all the photos that I can find there is no pinch bolt, but maybe they are like the Stolen ones like you mentioned.

I would get the profiles but I'm in europe (in the shithole of europe actually) and the shipment would be another 100

Talking about Stolen, what do you guys think about the Stolen Talon V2? Are they worth it?

|

12/31/2017 12:29 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Actually they are the SALT “EX” tubular 3pc cranks from the wtp Justice complete

From all the photos that I can find there is ...more

Stolen is renound for their Team cranks, however I'm pretty sure the Talons are just budget 48spline cranks & are nothing significant.

Source has tons of deals on cranks rn, I bought my Nash v2s from them (on sale for $106) and they seem like some great high quality cranks.

Keep in mind your cranks are going to be taking all of your body weight when you land on them, I think it's best to not cheap out on them.

& yeah over seas shipping is killer out of the US. Not sure how Source sent me my package for $10.. when I had to send back the cranks that they sent by accident, it was $35 without tracking and $105 with tracking.. absolutely ridiculous

|

12/31/2017 1:22 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

From all the photos that I can find there is ...more

Your politics suck but I love Romania

|

12/31/2017 2:49 PM

Photo

Like this? I think this is a unique idea, i would try them out. These are the Fiend Morrow cranks

|

12/31/2017 3:08 PM

Shredkink9 wrote: Photo

Like this? I think this is a unique idea, i would try them out. These are the Fiend Morrow cranks

How is this a unique idea? They are regular 48spline 2 or 3 piece cranks.

|

Hmmm

12/31/2017 3:15 PM

Shredkink9 wrote: Photo

Edman123 wrote:

Well also the Fiend cranks aren't really pinch bolt design but more of a design for easier install/uninstall. But I did look into those KHE mvp cranks and it seems questionable to me.. the pedal boss design makes the crank arms look pretty strong and durable, but If I tried these I would check the pinch bolts like every other session just to see if it stays tight, because if not the splines on the spindle will probably round out quick, which basically would mean you would need new cranks if that ever happened.

|

12/31/2017 3:24 PM

Edman123 wrote:

It has a bolt in the crank arm that tightens a splined wedge onto the spindle. I think it's pretty unnecessary but then again, I don't ride like any of the Fiend riders do.. haha

|

12/31/2017 5:03 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Do you not see the bolt under the spindle boss? That's to tighten an internal wedge to ensure they stay tight

there's a 48 spline crank arm with a pinch bolt on it lying around at the shop... I first saw it several years ago and thought how poor of a design that is. Sure, the pinch bolt is there to keep things tight, but it's also taking splines away. Neat in theory, poor in execution. Get some Thunderbolts if you can afford them, if not, there's some good budget cranks out there, or find someone selling a used set for a decent price

|

1/1/2018 12:13 AM

Edman123 wrote:

A tight spot issue would be your sprocket or chain
.. Not crankset

Cranks can be welded improperly and cause a straight sprocket to spin all wonky. I have had 2 crank sets that have been that way. I switched to odyssey thunderbolts and the same sprockets were straight as an arrow. smile

|

1/1/2018 3:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2018 7:57 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I have some ti profiles for sale too. I guess I'm not the only one lol.

|