48h rims with 36h hub?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/7/2014 1:23 PM

I have some 48h alienation rims and a 36h hub. Would I be able to lace the hub to the rims? I heard if you skip every fourth hole it will work but I'm not sure if that's true. Has any heard of doing this or knows someone who has?

|

7/7/2014 4:32 PM

I did a heap of research on this a bit back. I emailed the top 30 results for "BMX wheel lacing" on google (top 30 mail orders/shops that lace wheels.)
Most replied, all said it IS possible, but will be significantly weaker than a regular 36h or even 28h wheel and will require multiple spoke lengths and a TON of patience and trial and error. It will also be incredibly hard to true and will most likely never be perfectly straight.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/7/2014 5:04 PM

I went the other way, 48h hub and 36h rims without a single issue aside from spokes being a bit of a pain to set up. Mine was dialed in with no wobble or hop, but I spent a couple hours on it dialing it in.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/7/2014 6:00 PM

theres a tutorial online for it. it's actually just as easy as building a regular wheel where the rim & hub have the same hole count. probably just takes longer to true

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/7/2014 9:30 PM

tomdon wrote:

theres a tutorial online for it. it's actually just as easy as building a regular wheel where the rim & hub have the same ...more

Do you have a link to the tutorial? I'll try to find it anyways

|

7/8/2014 10:35 AM

it can be done, not that it should be done. maybe you can sell/trade the hubs/rims to either have a regular 36 or 48 spoke setup.

|

Insta: @devicacy

7/8/2014 7:16 PM

Photo

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".