4yr Old's First Race Practice

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2017 9:26 PM

I know there aren't a lot of racers here(I have never raced - no opportunity to when I was kid)but I'm super stoked that my son wants to race. He loves anything BMX because of Scotty Cranmer and when he found out Scotty raced as a kid he just had to try it. So fun to watch the progression of all the little bobbleheads just in one evening. Most of the kids couldn't make it up the las double at first but by the end they were all killing it!

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

5/8/2017 9:46 PM

That's amazing dude. He seems really motivated, love seeing that.

|

Rider & A Writer

5/8/2017 9:57 PM

Thanks man! He freaked out a little when he tried the gate but then a nice older kid took around the track and he just did half tracks after that. He was afraid to ride up the last double at first but after a few tries and couple of good crashes he made it and had a blast. I wanted to sign up with him but my doctor said not too until my back problems are a bit more sorted out. Probably better for my wallet too. smile

|

5/9/2017 12:09 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Thanks man! He freaked out a little when he tried the gate but then a nice older kid took around the track and he just did ...more

Thats awesome he's got into it

in all fairness you will probably know your body better than your Doc, I've seen pretty judge-mental advice from doctors with regards to guys on motorcycles telling them not to ride again, they ignored it and never had issues, if your under going a specific treatment or been through surgery and in recovery then i would listen but if it sounds more like a lifestyle judgement then i'd ignore it and carry on doing what you love.

|

5/9/2017 12:30 PM

Awesome.

|

5/9/2017 12:31 PM

make sure you keep it fun for your kid (and you). too many lame track dads out there.

What's the issue with your back?

|

5/9/2017 1:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2017 1:28 PM

I feel like I learned so much from racing on and off the track. I started the same age and miss it all the time. Keep it fun!

|

5/9/2017 6:06 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Thanks man! He freaked out a little when he tried the gate but then a nice older kid took around the track and he just did ...more

weegaz22 wrote:

Thats awesome he's got into it

in all fairness you will probably know your body better than your Doc, I've seen pretty ...more

My doctor is 100% right on this one. I'm kind of an idiot about taking care of injuries. I'm paying for it now. I broke my back and twisted my pelvis skating about 10 years ago. I was fine for bit my my pelvis is all twisted right now and it's royally fucking up my back. I feel a lot better through chiro and stretching but the doctor said just to take it easy and not push it too hard with riding until I'm 100%. I'm doing a lot better though. I don't limp and every step doesn't hurt. I am going to take him back to the track to roll for a bit after dinner so I will probably at least ride the track. Just not hard and not in an actual race. Which is fine for me right now. Just rolling makes me smile.

|

5/9/2017 6:08 PM

pnj wrote:

make sure you keep it fun for your kid (and you). too many lame track dads out there.

What's the issue with your back?

I'll never be that guy. I just want him to try his hardest and have fun. I could not possibly care less about winning. Winning is just a bonus to all the fun and hanging with his new buddies.

I broke my back and twisted my pelvis. My back(where it was broken)is OK. The pelvis thing was acting up a lot and is way better now but still not better better.

|

5/9/2017 6:30 PM

Roose87 wrote:

I feel like I learned so much from racing on and off the track. I started the same age and miss it all the time. Keep it fun!

Nice. I think he'll learn a ton of bike control and I don't know if it has anything to do with racing but there were a lot of really helpful older kids(maybe 10ish)and that was awesome. I'm just glad we live in an area with quite a few tracks within an hour so, I never had anything like this as a kid.

|

5/9/2017 8:50 PM

This was so fun. My first time on a track. I might have to go there everyday now. smile

Photo

|

5/11/2017 12:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2017 12:50 PM

I love it! My 12 year old daughter wanted to race before she could balance. But at 9, she got pre teen type stuff and decided she is not going to. Glad a buddy gave me his sons old mini.

Hope he keeps it up!
#standwithscotty

It is addictive if you like flowing or want to get better at it. Racing for me got boring after I turned 16, we didn't have enough guys to fill the gate. We started an open class before it was a thing and divided up entry fees for 1st - 3rd. And had it 15-20 year olds. I won some lost some. Only plus at that point was guys like John Purse stopping in every other week and race. He was still a top pro then.

|