53 vs 48 stem

Related:
Create New Tag

3/20/2020 7:31 PM

is there any noticeable difference? buying a stem for a race bike, so only tracks and trails.

|

I like riding my bike.

3/20/2020 8:40 PM

Get the 53.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/20/2020 8:42 PM

it's like 5mm difference. you really can't tell but... get the longer one.

|

3/21/2020 8:22 AM

Longer stem: Slightly more knee clearance to the bars; slightly longer grip reach; weight slightly more forward; similar to a longer TT without the added wheelbase
Shorter stem: More direct steering input / less swing in the bars; slightly more direct vertical input for hops; weight slightly back; similar to shorter TT but with longer wheelbase

Then again, it's only 1/4" and you probably won't notice. Stem reach is just a way to fine tune your stance, which really depends on your height, bars, and frame size.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

3/22/2020 3:58 PM

Get the 53 if your just gonna be riding tracks and trails, and yeah I could totally tell the difference. I had to get rid of my 53 I just couldn’t get used to it going from a 48, so I got a 50 and didn’t really notice the extra 2mm after that.

|

Ride everything

3/23/2020 7:51 AM

MJbmx wrote:

Longer stem: Slightly more knee clearance to the bars; slightly longer grip reach; weight slightly more forward; similar to a longer TT without the added wheelbase
Shorter stem: More direct steering input / less swing in the bars; slightly more direct vertical input for hops; weight slightly back; similar to shorter TT but with longer wheelbase

Then again, it's only 1/4" and you probably won't notice. Stem reach is just a way to fine tune your stance, which really depends on your height, bars, and frame size.

Maybe not to some but I can instantly feel the diff between a 48 and and 49mm reach.
For racing, 53 seems the better option.
more front end leverage and stability at speed. Shorter stems help more with tech and slower moving stuff but are a bit excessive when you just wanna go fast and catch air over jumps.

|

3/23/2020 8:59 AM

Made a huge difference for me...just on manuals alone going from a 52mm to a 48mm was a much different experience...for what it's worth, I'm also short

People use different crank lengths, fork offsets and head tube angles...but for me the shorter stem made the most noticeable difference

|

3/23/2020 9:25 AM

Get the 48

|

3/23/2020 7:37 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll just get a 53 then

|

I like riding my bike.

3/24/2020 9:40 AM

I can't find a spec on what mine actually is. 2017 Eastern Shovelhead. Websites doesn't show that dimension..... I know it's a top load though. LOL.

I wouldn't mind if my bars were bit closer. My TT seems a tiny bit long for me..... And I do mostly slow tricks.... Obviously I can tilt them back too. I do like to try to keep the parallel with the fork and head tube for spins.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun